User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Thread: ENxP - T or F?

Have you seen my desk? No, I'm pretty sure I'm not J - I'm the sort of person who is still trying to cut 10,000 words out of a thesis the day before it goes to the printers, and thanking my lucky stars that my father's an editor!

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by nicodemus_au View Post
    I don't like books that are nihilistic or depressing... I'm addicted to detective stories
    ENTP! the superhero/god -complex

Yes, an ENTP with a strong Feeling function seems likely. I've run a few tests, and T is around 60%, F around 40%, so not too far apart. A humanist Rationalist - rather like Dorothy L. Sayers, Oscar Wilde, George Bernard Shaw, Roald Dahl, Douglas Adams, and Caligula. My kind of people!

I went through various books on typology this afternoon. The description in Renee Baron's "What Type Am I?" fits me to an NT. I identified more with Keirsey's description of the NT than with the NF.

I have a hunger to know everything, but never believe that I know enough or that I do what I do well enough - I read lots of history, anthropology, philosophy, comparative religion, psychology, general science, to try to improve my mind.

I am an independent learner, and like to pursue my inspirations, tracking down information until my desire for understanding is satisfied. I'm not a global, skimming learner; I want to master details in all their precision and am almost compulsive in my over-learning. Ever since I was a kid, I've filled exercise books and Word files with detailed information on topics that interested me, from palaeontology and mythology to computer games and opera. I have the need to gain outstanding proficiency in my field (the detective story). I have a filing system in my head, and have somehow memorised (absorbed?) publication histories and characters, as well as various historical dates, significant events and anything else that interests me (and a lot that doesn't). Since the age of 16, I've tracked down original newspaper reviews of thousands of detective stories, many of which I'm not going to read.

I have a questioning, rather sceptical mind. I'm reluctant to accept without question even a widely accepted authority (most critics of the detective story haven't done their research, and so are talking through their hats!). I tend to look for evidence - even in religion. When I became interested in Anglicanism a few years ago, blind faith was not an option; I naturally went looking for information about the crucifixion as a historical event, the authenticity (or not) of the Bible, theological works, and agreed most (but not entirely) with Spong and Dawkins. In the end, I decided that if God existed, s/he/it was too big to be confined to one religion, so became a spiritual humanist.

I'm also quite self-critical and a perfectionist. Because I set high standards for myself, and am a high achiever in academic work, I don't like to make mistakes in front of others, or get bad marks. I expect to learn easily how to do new things, and can feel foolish if I don't.

Work must be interesting and mentally stimulating. I'm in the public service at the moment, which is OK, but rather limited. The most interesting job was a research assistant, writing research papers on current / international affairs, history and Defence, but it was also very isolated (in a shoebox by myself 5 days a week). I've done a lot of program management and grants assessment work, also looking at income support debtors - this affected people directly, but I had no problem making objective decisions based on facts and precedents.

Other traits are definitely F: the search for meaning in life and what is significant to humankind; background in the humanities; creative writing; an instinctive understanding of literature; interested in relating to human beings. (But see the list of writers!) However, I don't think that I'm considerate or empathetic enough to be an NF. I'm neither a Champion for a cause, nor a journalist who needs to be into everything, and I'm not frisky or bubbly - cheerful and enthusiastic, yes, puppyish, no. I'm quite competitive, certainly in academic matters; I don't think that empathic human relationships (although good) or the search for identity are the most important things in the world. And I don't have any desire to be a sage, sitting under a banyan tree, contemplating my navel and going "OM", and saying that the universe is only an illusion. As a kid, I always wanted to be a wizard - and, when I got older, Dr. Who and Sherlock Holmes.

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

Did you care about popularity growing up? Even if you don't want to admit it?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by nicodemus_au View Post
    Have you seen my desk? No, I'm pretty sure I'm not J - I'm the sort of person who is still trying to cut 10,000 words out of a thesis the day before it goes to the printers, and thanking my lucky stars that my father's an editor!
    It is unlikely that your are ENTP. ENTPs are resistant to Fi. If you are sure you are Fi'ish' you are more likely to be ENFP.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    E9

Quote Originally Posted by InvisibleJim View Post
    It is unlikely that your are ENTP. ENTPs are resistant to Fi. If you are sure you are Fi'ish' you are more likely to be ENFP.
    I don't think everyone fits the theoretical function order perfectly. I'm ENTP and I use a bit of Fi. I think he is similar. It's possible one or both of us is ENFP, but it seems unlikely to me.

People can also be affected by family and close friends they grew up with, which I would think could have some effect on functional development, n'est-ce pas? <shrug>

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

i still don't know if my ex...who i knew inside and out... was entp or enfp...i really don't. i would say entp who used fi instead of fe...but it doesn't really work like that supposedly...

but there are many things about your post that remind me of him....and...i'm leaning entp with you too.
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by redcheerio View Post
    n'est-ce pas?
    Techniquement non pas M. penseur

Shoddy name you have there.

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by InvisibleJim View Post
    Techniquement non pas M. penseur