• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Jungian Cognitive Functions] Which is the better function?

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx

FunnyDigestion

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Te holds more power, Ti holds more complexity (which can become power).

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Functions are not inherently good or bad. It's what you do with it that defines them.

INTPness

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
If you want something complex broken down into more simple terms so that it can be understood by many (pondering and deep reflection/analysis are necessary) - Ti.

If you want near-flawless execution in the real world (spontaneous navigation through real world issues as they arise) - Te.

One is not "better" than the other - they are just different in what they can accomplish.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
If you want to take something apart: Ti.
If you want to put something together: Te.

xisnotx

Permabanned
Te is Ti, just backwards.
( ^ I have no idea what that means, but I'm sure someone somewhere will be enlightened.)

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
If you want to take something apart: Ti.
If you want to put something together: Te.

And here everyone thinks it's the INTJ's that are hellbent on worlds destruction. *wink*

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
how the heck someone could notice something like that? :ohmy:

You'd have to be NTJ to notice something like that. I know I read your post and was like "There's probably a joke in there somewhere but I can't be arsed to think it through." xD

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
To implement a plan: Te
To point the countless pitfalls in the plan: Ti

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I prefer Te because it is efficient, gets things done, executes a plan, may tell me what to do to solve a problem, and seems to have more "real world" force.

I know Ti is necessary to pick apart logical flaws and define subtleties and stuff, but frankly it makes me want to tear my hair out.

violet_crown

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I mean, Te's pretty nice. It's not perfect, but it has momentum and a delightful simplicity to it. I read other people's posts about their experiences as a particular type, and think I got pretty lucky to have it as a dominant function.

Having said that, if I was gonna have "function envy" about any of the others, then it would be Ti. Ti-primaries and secondaries just seem to have more fun. They have cooler toys. They fight crime. They can read xkcd without needing Google to understand the jokes. It's like where does it end with these guys?

crack

I admire/am frequently struck into awe with the depth of logical consistency of Ti. But no Ti users impress me or make me happy (one of those? both? both sometimes?) except when it's suuuper strong in INFJ's and at the expense of Fe because 1) I'm a J type and need closure, and 2) I've yet to know an ISFJ with a strong, especially strong-at-the-expense-of-Fe, Ti that was impressive (seemed to be common sense type stuff the abnormally heavy ISFJ was pointing out? but it was definitely Ti)... so I guess I need the theorizativeness of N as well (I'm N). INFJ's Ti feels like sharp Ti though, and I dig it. INTP's are too listless, ENTP's are too jokey with theirs, ISTP's tend to more base theorizing, I'm going to leave out my opinion of ESTP because this is getting too long and no one cares anyhow.

I'm a Te user. Ti just drains me to use it, but I'd wish 1) it didn't, 2) I had the motivation to use it, 3) I had something to use it for (I'm not academic or intellectually curious)(If I had situations where it'd be good to use it, #2 would be taken care of as well). I remember once I had a couple weeks period of spontaneous brilliant, quick, and non-energy-draining Ti usage, and it felt awesome. Beebee or whoever says, I think, for my type, Ti is the "Discovery" role? And I agree, that period felt like a period of great mental growth, expansion, inner discovery. Te just is for me, I don't view it as special or a special power nor does it do anything special for me, but I don't think negatively of it - it just is, for me (for some Te doms I can see the domination and power, among other similar things, it gives, though; I think the issue is it being in the dom position, though).

Edit: As others said, which is "better" depends on what your intention is.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I find it strange to hear Ti "drains" a Te-user.

I may be a Ti-user, but I can use Te. I just prefer the Ti style of thinking. When I go into a Te-style mode though, it doesn't affect me a whole lot differently than Ti.

T

ThatGirl

I find it strange to hear Ti "drains" a Te-user.

I may be a Ti-user, but I can use Te. I just prefer the Ti style of thinking. When I go into a Te-style mode though, it doesn't affect me a whole lot differently than Ti.

I get drained speaking too long with HEAVY ti users. It frustrates me to no end if I feel we are covering a bunch of crap that most likely will not be a real issue. There has to be some balance for Ti that's weighs probability quickly. Help them separate the fluff from the important stuff without trying to account for every little detail.

Ti kind of reads like Si sometimes when working together with someone.