• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTP] INTP 2 INTP (possibly of use to others)

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
I was thinking that there's several little snippets of wisdom which I use to both moderate my own personality (you know, so I don't get decked by the next guy) and to enhance my own thinking. I thought it'd be interesting to both see if other's found them interesting and also to hear their own snippets.

I know this is a little broad in nature but let's face it, us INTPs are special (the best :static: ). We deserve to have the best guides and wisdom at our disposal ;)

First up (just to get the ball rolling, not necessarily the best piece of advice).
Stabbing the sore bit.
Sometimes when approached with a problem or upon analysing a fault, it is better to dress the answer in diplomacy. Not so much as to diffuse the point but just enough so you don't stab someone just where it hurts with the declaration of "That's where the problem is!!". Some people don't respond well to having those questions that perhaps not even they feel like addressing being investigated by an NT with hobnail boots. Always remove the boots unless given permission to put them back on.

Some people do appreciate our incisive analysis and can make use of it. Sometimes however all we end up achieving is really antagonising the subject.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
I was thinking that there's several little snippets of wisdom which I use to both moderate my own personality (you know, so I don't get decked by the next guy) and to enhance my own thinking. I thought it'd be interesting to both see if other's found them interesting and also to hear their own snippets.

I know this is a little broad in nature but let's face it, us INTPs are special (the best :static: ). We deserve to have the best guides and wisdom at our disposal ;)

First up (just to get the ball rolling, not necessarily the best piece of advice).
Stabbing the sore bit.
Sometimes when approached with a problem or upon analysing a fault, it is better to dress the answer in diplomacy. Not so much as to diffuse the point but just enough so you don't stab someone just where it hurts with the declaration of "That's where the problem is!!". Some people don't respond well to having those questions that perhaps not even they feel like addressing being investigated by an NT with hobnail boots. Always remove the boots unless given permission to put them back on.

Some people do appreciate our incisive analysis and can make use of it. Sometimes however all we end up achieving is really antagonising the subject.
HA!
And I thought you said INTJ's were the greatest!:steam:

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
:rolleyes:
Greatest, yes.
WE're the best.

:D

(Note I never said greatest what :devil: )

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
I'm not an INTP but I certainly have a piece of advice, since I find INTP's the most annoying, infuriating and exasperating of all the types. (Not that they actually ARE that way... only that they rub ME the wrong way... usually.)

Anyway... you know how you love to get inside people's heads, so you can figure out how they think - or whatever it is that you're doing in there?

GET PERMISSION FIRST!
AND DON'T OVERSTAY YOUR WELCOME!

Last edited:

mippus

you are right
MBTI Type
Intp
Enneagram
5w6
... what's this anger?

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
... what's this anger?
Long story :)
She's seen INTPc !!

Second snippet from myself..

Perfection is entirely subjective. Decide for yourself how far is enough.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Long story :)
She's seen INTPc !!
Actually, I haven't, not at any length anyhow, though I did take a gander at a thread someone had linked once.

mippus

you are right
MBTI Type
Intp
Enneagram
5w6
I knew you were an INTP when I read your question.

This remark makes me feel very uncomfortable, especially when thinking of what you stated earlier on:

I'm not an INTP but I certainly have a piece of advice, since I find INTP's the most annoying, infuriating and exasperating of all the types. (Not that they actually ARE that way... only that they rub ME the wrong way... usually.)

Anyway... you know how you love to get inside people's heads, so you can figure out how they think - or whatever it is that you're doing in there?

GET PERMISSION FIRST!

How have I upset you? If I have, I am really sorry...

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1

GET PERMISSION FIRST!
Wow. You must have run into some INTPs that were night and day from my husband. Seriously, good luck getting him to give a flying flip about what's going on in anybody's head. He has hobbies, after all. :D

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
Thanks Cafe. That reminds me.

Sometimes focus is equivalent to a fly batting it's head against the window.

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
What's going on in his head is really much more interesting to him that what is going on in anyone else's.

Maybe if psychology is a hobby it could be a problem, though. But wouldn't most INTPs still rather research it by reading articles and studies than to deal with live subjects? That's just my impression. I don't know.

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
What's going on in his head is really much more interesting to him that what is going on in anyone else's.

Maybe if psychology is a hobby it could be a problem, though. But wouldn't most INTPs still rather research it by reading articles and studies than to deal with live subjects? That's just my impression. I don't know.
:shock: Uggh... more disparity between me and other "normal" INTPs I'd guess.

I'm not sure about others but to me the books are too dry and too cut and dry. Give me the squelchy, murky depths of someone else's brain to mess around in any day..

Sorry Mom. I am honest about it though :whistling:

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Hmmm. My husband is more into gov/econ. He does watch our retirement account like a hen tending her chicks. Would that be a similar equivalent to squelching around in a brain? He still mostly reads, though, and a huge volume of material, too.

Do you think e9 INTPs would be more hands on/less dry facts, etc?

BrianBear

MBTI Type
INTP
Wow. You must have run into some INTPs that were night and day from my husband. Seriously, good luck getting him to give a flying flip about what's going on in anybody's head. He has hobbies, after all. :D

It happens when psychology and or sociology are an interest of the INTP.

Personally I love getting into people's heads and figuring out how they work.

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
Hmmm. My husband is more into gov/econ. He does watch our retirement account like a hen tending her chicks. Would that be a similar equivalent to squelching around in a brain? He still mostly reads, though, and a huge volume of material, too.

Do you think e9 INTPs would be more hands on/less dry facts, etc?
I don't tend to read lots. I'm too preoccupied with all the things I want to do. All those hobbies, projects and stuff.

Mind you whenever I buy something I devour review and technical material like it's going out of fashion. I think that when I built this incarnation of my PC I had read ALL the reviews available in english. Every last one of them. Google could turn up no more!!

As for E9 INTPs.. I only know one other and I'm not sure what he's like on reading. We're both gun nuts and the conversation never much went passed that.

Seanan

Procrastinating
MBTI Type
INTJ
I knew you were an INTP when I read your question.

Seriously... I was wondering the same thing. Would you care to share?

Xander... YOU are the one who gave me the "sore" fantastic advice! Opened my eyes and I thank you so much for it. I was talking with Jen and thought it was her... had Avatars mixed up I guess. Will have to tell her so she can quit wondering why I'm so odd.:D

Note: I still don't know how to correct the problem though. This week, in fact, I made an apology before saying what I had to and was asked why I was apologizing... I guess it takes practice?

Seanan

Procrastinating
MBTI Type
INTJ
I need advice from other INTPs on making big or important decisions. I still don't have a new floor after 3 years of researching and I really, really, want one. I have allergies and this carpet just has to go.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
This remark makes me feel very uncomfortable, especially when thinking of what you stated earlier on:

How have I upset you? If I have, I am really sorry...
I am truly sorry to have made you uncomfortable.:blush:
I did qualify my rant. I know it's how INTPs make me feel.
Xander understands me. :wubbie:

Your question made me uncomfortable... which I have learned is typical of my interaction with INTPs. As a matter of fact, 100% of the time when someone has asked me a question that made me feel uncomfortable, 100% of the time, it was an INTP!

Your question made me uncomfortable because it was a question probing the depths of my feelings. In my experience, INTPs will frankly approach and ask me the most personally invasive questions without seeming to realize that they don't have the right to know, or at least to ask, without permission. Almost like someone with one of those syndromes that causes them to say things that are socially inappropriate.

Maybe some INTPs are not self aware enough to realize that they have every intention of getting inside my head and figuring out why I feel a certain way, without obtaining my permission first. So they ask a question - like you did. I give a concise answer, as I usually do, but they didn't want concise! They want complete! ( know this now.) So they come back at me for more. And then more! Soon I am feeling badgered and like my privacy is being invaded.

As I say, if you want to entirely understand the fullness of someone's feelings, especially an INTJs, you must first reveal your motive.
I certainly do not care to have someone probing about the sanctity of my thought-life without knowing why.