User Tag List

First 23456 Last

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Seanan View Post
    I wonder if someone can help me with this. I don't mean to derail (although it has already been I think with th INTP bash) but I don't know where I would even put a thread for this question.

In reading INTJMom's take on INTPs, I could be wrong but it seems to be a subjective and emotional viewpoint... please correct me if I err... and I thought the only difference between "J" and "P" was comfort with closure or not. I've been trying to approach this "invasive" thing objectively but it seems impossible and, thus, appears emotional based on personal values? So do INTJs present as more "F" than INTPs? Thanks.
    For me it has more to do with being someone's scientific experiment... asking questions without revealing their purpose.

My thoughts and feelings are sacred to me. I don't mind sharing them, but I don't want them twisted around to mean something they don't mean.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by TallulahBankhead View Post
    INTJMom, your experience with INTPs sort of surprises me. Anytime I've been asked questions I felt were invasive, they were not from INTPs. They were from NFs. I have a good friend that's an ENFJ, for instance, that was always asking questions, even personal ones, and before I knew her, I resented her trying to force the connection. Another friend, an INFJ, respects my privacy, but she will occasionally ask me personal questions that I haven't volunteered any opinions on.

INTPs don't generally care about your feelings or your personal values as much as they care about your thoughts. Thoughts can be bandied about, poked, prodded, and it's still nothing personal to us. Just something to think about and try to get at the truth. I think INTJs are more value-based than INTPs, so they can get offended that we can pick ideas and viewpoints apart. Your conclusions might mean more to you then ours mean to us. Ours are always subject to revision with the addition of new information.

I think you're assuming some negative motivations on the part of INTPs that aren't there. I will say that you shouldn't get into a serious discussion with an INTP unless you're prepared to provide proof for your POV. Objectivity is key.
    I think I've explained where I'm coming from in my previous post.

NFs affect you similarly to the way INTPs affect me.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by INTJMom View Post
    For me it has more to do with being someone's scientific experiment... asking questions without revealing their purpose.

My thoughts and feelings are sacred to me. I don't mind sharing them, but I don't want them twisted around to mean something they don't mean.
    I agree with that. I just ask people straight up, "Why do you want to know?"

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Seanan View Post
    I need advice from other INTPs on making big or important decisions. I still don't have a new floor after 3 years of researching and I really, really, want one. I have allergies and this carpet just has to go.
    Um, hopefully someone else will be able to answer this. I'm in a similar boat but with a fallen-down fence, a roof that needs repairing, and a revolting colour scheme in my lounge room that needs to be painted over. My procrastination has only been for a year so far though.

Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
    What's going on in his head is really much more interesting to him that what is going on in anyone else's.

Maybe if psychology is a hobby it could be a problem, though. But wouldn't most INTPs still rather research it by reading articles and studies than to deal with live subjects? That's just my impression. I don't know.
    Psychology is one of my current obsessions and I read a bit about it. But I tend to compulsively observe and try to work out what makes people tick. I never ever ask intrusive questions though - I just observe and think about it.

Your question made me uncomfortable... which I have learned is typical of my interaction with INTPs. As a matter of fact, 100% of the time when someone has asked me a question that made me feel uncomfortable, 100% of the time, it was an INTP!

Your question made me uncomfortable because it was a question probing the depths of my feelings. In my experience, INTPs will frankly approach and ask me the most personally invasive questions without seeming to realize that they don't have the right to know, or at least to ask, without permission. Almost like someone with one of those syndromes that causes them to say things that are socially inappropriate.
    Like Tallulah said, your experience with INTPs surprises me. I've only ever had that experience with Fs (just a few weird ones in particular - most people don't do this). My guess is that they've been mis-typed. Tests and self-typing aren't infallible.
    ...so much smoke pouring out of each chromosome.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Tallulah View Post
    I agree with that. I just ask people straight up, "Why do you want to know?"
    I'm gonna remember that from now on.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by bluebell View Post
    Like Tallulah said, your experience with INTPs surprises me. I've only ever had that experience with Fs (just a few weird ones in particular - most people don't do this). My guess is that they've been mis-typed. Tests and self-typing aren't infallible.
    Maybe you haven't noticed because it doesn't bother you. It bothers me, so I notice.

The majority of INTPs I am referring to have been here on this site, and they are not ones I consider to be people who don't know themselves or don't understand MBTT.

And DON'T EVEN anybody ask me who they were because 1- for the most part, I don't remember, and 2- I wouldn't want to embarrass anyone.

I don't have a grudge against any of these people, it's just a reality that I have learned comes with the territory - for me - of dealing with INTPs.

I'm gonna go tone down that font now.
    It's just a little loud.

MBTI
    INTP

Maybe you haven't noticed because it doesn't bother you. It bothers me, so I notice.

The majority of INTPs I am referring to have been here on this site, and they are not ones I consider to be people who don't know themselves or don't understand MBTT.
    Heh. My mistake - I assumed they were people you knew IRL, not online. There's no obligation for anyone to answer any question, online or IRL, but online it's so much easier to brush off questions than IRL.

And on a site like this, trying to understand how others think/feel/operate is quite common. *shrug*
    ...so much smoke pouring out of each chromosome.

MBTI
    INTP

As I say, if you want to entirely understand the fullness of someone's feelings, especially an INTJs, you must first reveal your motive.
    Bah, motive. I mean, anyone knows that playing with someone's mind is a great amount of fun. Just all those secrets and feelings of inferiority so desperately hidden under armor of toughness... All those feelings, vulnerability... What other motive could there be? It's just fun to poke in there. Plus, I love that freakish face people make once they know I can see right through them, through all the ways they lie and pretend, and see what's really inside.

I certainly do not care to have someone probing about the sanctity of my thought-life without knowing why.
    Vot an interesting tezt subjekt! I muzt kontinue obzervation!

MBTI
    Intp
    Enneagram
    5w6
    Socionics
    ILI

Maybe I should clarify why I asked the "what is this anger?" question. It was not out of some detatched, scientifice interest, and -no offence, INTJmom- not even out of compassion. I felt the previous post was an attack and I was startled by it, especially since I didn't see it coming. I wanted to understand what I/we did wrong...

Please ignore this post if it has become irrelevant to you...
    Vanitas vanitatum omnia vanitas

MBTI
    Intp
    Enneagram
    5w6
    Socionics
    ILI

Quote Originally Posted by rainfall View Post
    Bah, motive. I mean, anyone knows that playing with someone's mind is a great amount of fun. Just all those secrets and feelings of inferiority so desperately hidden under armor of toughness... All those feelings, vulnerability... What other motive could there be? It's just fun to poke in there. Plus, I love that freakish face people make once they know I can see right through them, through all the ways they lie and pretend, and see what's really inside.
    Can I add that I don't see this as a typical INTP-thing? Maybe as a caricature-of-INTP-thing, but most of us do have empathic and social skills...
    Vanitas vanitatum omnia vanitas