First 1234 Last

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Quote Originally Posted by INTJMom View Post
    I'm not an INTP but I certainly have a piece of advice, since I find INTP's the most annoying, infuriating and exasperating of all the types. (Not that they actually ARE that way... only that they rub ME the wrong way... usually.)

Anyway... you know how you love to get inside people's heads, so you can figure out how they think - or whatever it is that you're doing in there?

GET PERMISSION FIRST!
    AND DON'T OVERSTAY YOUR WELCOME!
    Wow. You must have run into some INTPs that were night and day from my husband. Seriously, good luck getting him to give a flying flip about what's going on in anybody's head. He has hobbies, after all.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Thanks Cafe. That reminds me.

Sometimes focus is equivalent to a fly batting it's head against the window.
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

What's going on in his head is really much more interesting to him that what is going on in anyone else's.

Maybe if psychology is a hobby it could be a problem, though. But wouldn't most INTPs still rather research it by reading articles and studies than to deal with live subjects? That's just my impression. I don't know.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
    What's going on in his head is really much more interesting to him that what is going on in anyone else's.

Maybe if psychology is a hobby it could be a problem, though. But wouldn't most INTPs still rather research it by reading articles and studies than to deal with live subjects? That's just my impression. I don't know.
    Uggh... more disparity between me and other "normal" INTPs I'd guess.

I'm not sure about others but to me the books are too dry and too cut and dry. Give me the squelchy, murky depths of someone else's brain to mess around in any day..

Sorry Mom. I am honest about it though

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Hmmm. My husband is more into gov/econ. He does watch our retirement account like a hen tending her chicks. Would that be a similar equivalent to squelching around in a brain? He still mostly reads, though, and a huge volume of material, too.

Do you think e9 INTPs would be more hands on/less dry facts, etc?
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    INTP

Wow. You must have run into some INTPs that were night and day from my husband. Seriously, good luck getting him to give a flying flip about what's going on in anybody's head. He has hobbies, after all.
    It happens when psychology and or sociology are an interest of the INTP.

Personally I love getting into people's heads and figuring out how they work.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Hmmm. My husband is more into gov/econ. He does watch our retirement account like a hen tending her chicks. Would that be a similar equivalent to squelching around in a brain? He still mostly reads, though, and a huge volume of material, too.

Do you think e9 INTPs would be more hands on/less dry facts, etc?
    I don't tend to read lots. I'm too preoccupied with all the things I want to do. All those hobbies, projects and stuff.

Mind you whenever I buy something I devour review and technical material like it's going out of fashion. I think that when I built this incarnation of my PC I had read ALL the reviews available in english. Every last one of them. Google could turn up no more!!

As for E9 INTPs.. I only know one other and I'm not sure what he's like on reading. We're both gun nuts and the conversation never much went passed that.

Procrastinating
    MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by INTJMom View Post
    I knew you were an INTP when I read your question.
    Seriously... I was wondering the same thing. Would you care to share?

Xander... YOU are the one who gave me the "sore" fantastic advice! Opened my eyes and I thank you so much for it. I was talking with Jen and thought it was her... had Avatars mixed up I guess. Will have to tell her so she can quit wondering why I'm so odd.

Note: I still don't know how to correct the problem though. This week, in fact, I made an apology before saying what I had to and was asked why I was apologizing... I guess it takes practice?

Procrastinating
    MBTI
    INTJ

I need advice from other INTPs on making big or important decisions. I still don't have a new floor after 3 years of researching and I really, really, want one. I have allergies and this carpet just has to go.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by mippus View Post
    This remark makes me feel very uncomfortable, especially when thinking of what you stated earlier on:

How have I upset you? If I have, I am really sorry...
    I am truly sorry to have made you uncomfortable.
    I did qualify my rant. I know it's how INTPs make me feel.
    Xander understands me.

Your question made me uncomfortable... which I have learned is typical of my interaction with INTPs. As a matter of fact, 100% of the time when someone has asked me a question that made me feel uncomfortable, 100% of the time, it was an INTP!

Your question made me uncomfortable because it was a question probing the depths of my feelings. In my experience, INTPs will frankly approach and ask me the most personally invasive questions without seeming to realize that they don't have the right to know, or at least to ask, without permission. Almost like someone with one of those syndromes that causes them to say things that are socially inappropriate.

Maybe some INTPs are not self aware enough to realize that they have every intention of getting inside my head and figuring out why I feel a certain way, without obtaining my permission first. So they ask a question - like you did. I give a concise answer, as I usually do, but they didn't want concise! They want complete! ( know this now.) So they come back at me for more. And then more! Soon I am feeling badgered and like my privacy is being invaded.

As I say, if you want to entirely understand the fullness of someone's feelings, especially an INTJs, you must first reveal your motive.
    I certainly do not care to have someone probing about the sanctity of my thought-life without knowing why.