• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTJ] INTJs and seeking validation

G

Ginkgo

Yes! I don't know if I am truly an INFP, but I am sticking with it for now. I have a total of 11 tattoos from MBTI. I am partially concerned that I will re-realize I am actually a type I had previously tattooed... and that would spell disaster in the shorthand form of ESTP or ENTJ or ISFP, etc.

You sound like one of those idiots who tattoos every one of their lovers' name on their ass a week after they've been dating.

A

Anew Leaf

You sound like one of those idiots who tattoos every one of their lovers' name on their ass a week after they've been dating.

I have them on my upper back, thanks. And for the record, I wait 10 days.

I use my arms for MBTI.

I'm classy like this, ok?

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Huh. I didn't know INTJs ever sought the social type of validation. :huh:

R

ReflecTcelfeR

I think it's weird to think that people don't like to hear their good qualities. Even if they try to humbly deny them. Asking for a pick-me-up is nice for everyone I imagine. There are probably some that aren't as eager, but even those fail and need reassurance.

Bobble

MBTI Type
xxxx
Enneagram
?
It's nice to be liked and if I want to say that then I will. I don't care how it makes me look.

And if I think you don't like me and it's causing a strange vibe in the room then I'm going to bring it up.

Then sometimes if I think I'm being misunderstood and it's effecting work, thats when I will want you to understand me because it does matter then.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think it's weird to think that people don't like to hear their good qualities. Even if they try to humbly deny them. Asking for a pick-me-up is nice for everyone I imagine. There are probably some that aren't as eager, but even those fail and need reassurance.
I know my good qualities, for the most part. It is probably more useful for me to hear about my weaknesses, since these are associated with blind spots. The only "pick-me-up" or reassurance I need is success.

R

ReflecTcelfeR

I know my good qualities, for the most part. It is probably more useful for me to hear about my weaknesses, since these are associated with blind spots. The only "pick-me-up" or reassurance I need is success.

I wish I could be so confident. Truly.

R

ReflecTcelfeR

Seconded. But I agree it is much more useful to hear about weaknesses.

Why not talk about both? No reason to ONLY focus on the bad. And though all you may need is your own definition of success do you never want validation for your positive traits?

Coriolis

Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Why not talk about both? No reason to ONLY focus on the bad. And though all you may need is your own definition of success do you never want validation for your positive traits?
I want the validation of knowing the true results of my actions. For example, if I show you how to do something, you could tell me you thought I was a good teacher. I would prefer, however, seeing you do the task correctly on your own, or having you explain to me how you did so. Then I would know my actions were effective.

R

ReflecTcelfeR

I want the validation of knowing the true results of my actions. For example, if I show you how to do something, you could tell me you thought I was a good teacher. I would prefer, however, seeing you do the task correctly on your own, or having you explain to me how you did so. Then I would know my actions were effective.

Isn't that validation just not verbal validation? So you just don't really pay much interest in verbal validation.

Coriolis

Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Giggly's earlier post mentioned social validation. Your earlier post observed, "I think it's weird to think that people don't like to hear their good qualities." Neither of these is the type of validation I desire. I want the facts, either verbally or by direct observation, to be able to assess the effects of my actions, whether success or failure.

R

ReflecTcelfeR

I suppose I don't see how that isn't validation. You're still wanting to know how well you did on something. So you don't care whether the validation is positive or negative just as long as you see results? However, if you get bad results from your work you try to adjust to create the positive results you wish... And you want to see positive results so their actions are positively validating you. Right? So sound isn't important, but sight is when you seek validation results :).

Sanctus Iacobus

MBTI Type
STP
wouldn't it be most likely, then, for INTJs to hide their needs for validation if they ever had it?

Coriolis

Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I suppose I don't see how that isn't validation. You're still wanting to know how well you did on something. So you don't care whether the validation is positive or negative just as long as you see results? However, if you get bad results from your work you try to adjust to create the positive results you wish... And you want to see positive results so their actions are positively validating you. Right? So sound isn't important, but sight is when you seek validation results :).
I would call this simply feedback, but if it meets your definition of validation, OK. Sight, sound, written, oral, reported, witnessed -- doesn't matter, as long as I get reliable information.