User Tag List

First 234

ReflecTcelfeR

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    I know my good qualities, for the most part. It is probably more useful for me to hear about my weaknesses, since these are associated with blind spots. The only "pick-me-up" or reassurance I need is success.
    Quote Originally Posted by ohd1122 View Post
    Seconded. But I agree it is much more useful to hear about weaknesses.
    Why not talk about both? No reason to ONLY focus on the bad. And though all you may need is your own definition of success do you never want validation for your positive traits?

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by ReflecTcelfeR View Post
    Why not talk about both? No reason to ONLY focus on the bad. And though all you may need is your own definition of success do you never want validation for your positive traits?
    I want the validation of knowing the true results of my actions. For example, if I show you how to do something, you could tell me you thought I was a good teacher. I would prefer, however, seeing you do the task correctly on your own, or having you explain to me how you did so. Then I would know my actions were effective.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

ReflecTcelfeR

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    I want the validation of knowing the true results of my actions. For example, if I show you how to do something, you could tell me you thought I was a good teacher. I would prefer, however, seeing you do the task correctly on your own, or having you explain to me how you did so. Then I would know my actions were effective.
    Isn't that validation just not verbal validation? So you just don't really pay much interest in verbal validation.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Giggly's earlier post mentioned social validation. Your earlier post observed, "I think it's weird to think that people don't like to hear their good qualities." Neither of these is the type of validation I desire. I want the facts, either verbally or by direct observation, to be able to assess the effects of my actions, whether success or failure.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

ReflecTcelfeR

I suppose I don't see how that isn't validation. You're still wanting to know how well you did on something. So you don't care whether the validation is positive or negative just as long as you see results? However, if you get bad results from your work you try to adjust to create the positive results you wish... And you want to see positive results so their actions are positively validating you. Right? So sound isn't important, but sight is when you seek validation results .

MBTI
    STP

wouldn't it be most likely, then, for INTJs to hide their needs for validation if they ever had it?

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by ReflecTcelfeR View Post
    I suppose I don't see how that isn't validation. You're still wanting to know how well you did on something. So you don't care whether the validation is positive or negative just as long as you see results? However, if you get bad results from your work you try to adjust to create the positive results you wish... And you want to see positive results so their actions are positively validating you. Right? So sound isn't important, but sight is when you seek validation results .
    I would call this simply feedback, but if it meets your definition of validation, OK. Sight, sound, written, oral, reported, witnessed -- doesn't matter, as long as I get reliable information.