• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] Ask Jim Anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

InvisibleJim

Permabanned
Hey Jim,

On the topic of video/computer/console gaming (herein referred to as 'games'), what would your 'gaming resume' look like?
What are you motivations for playing games?
With the intention of purchasing and playing this many game titles, how do you prioritize playing games and the rest of your life?
If not covered by your motivations for playing games, how did you choose this priority?

Many of these questions have been answered in part or worse, fully, before.

1) Mostly Strategy with RPG/FPS and Action.
2) I enjoy the entertainment value; it also exercises my mind.
3) I do life, in my spare time I play games... This is not a great deal of games and it still leaves ample time for reading 2-4 books a month unless I am extra busy with work.
4) What I have started but not completed < What is available which I have no played yet which I would enjoy the most < Old games which I have especially enjoyed.

mavericknm

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Many of these questions have been answered in part or worse, fully, before.

1) Mostly Strategy with RPG/FPS and Action.
2) I enjoy the entertainment value; it also exercises my mind.
3) I do life, in my spare time I play games... This is not a great deal of games and it still leaves ample time for reading 2-4 books a month unless I am extra busy with work.
4) What I have started but not completed < What is available which I have no played yet which I would enjoy the most < Old games which I have especially enjoyed.

Hey just edited my post. You're uncannily quick.
Apologies on not reading those answers first. I tried reading the entire thread but had to stop with all the NTP and moderator talk so I skipped to the end and saw a post about gaming that piqued my interest. Oh and just to make sure I'm following your thread's rules, here's a question :D
Will you answer my added questions?

InvisibleJim

Permabanned
a) I've got a personal resentment for the change in gaming industry from producing 'hardcore' games to 'accessible' games.
b)Do you share any of this resentment? please explain?
c)What is your opinion on the change in game interface between ME1 and ME2? What do you hope they will do with ME3?
d)I've also got a personal resentment for continuous sequels that add little ex. Command and conquer series, COD franchise and even to an extent my beloved HL series. I feel like that I am just paying for a yearly subscription to a certain developer for my weekly HBO drama. What is your opinion of the 'subscriptionization' of big name titles?
e)What do you think about a business concept where fan boys pay a periodic subscription fee to a developer to ensure the longevity of their favorite big name title?
f)Would you like to see the state of gaming elevated to a platform on par with other forms of media as art game developers such as Ian Bogost and Johnathan Blow have been preaching? Or are you happy with the current state?
g)How well do your friends/family/peers respond to your high interest in gaming?
h)Do you think certain BMITs have a natural disposition to games? If so what types and what do you think it would take to change games to appeal to these untapped audiences?
i)Or do you not care about all this industry and game design discussion and just want to shoot some alien's head off?

a) So so, although I was a great appreciator of hardcore games I also like games to have a medocium of accessibility. The problem with hardcore games was bugginess, by contrast look at the great old games 'Master of Magic/Orion' or Theme park or Civ etc. which were great simply for their accessibility. However this doesn't mean I shied away from the most complex games or derivatives (he said playing X3 10 minutes ago).
b) I don't find it something to be resentful about; cash is king and accessibility is audience.
c) I prefered ME2 compared to ME1, the scanner stuff was dumb though. I liked the *gasp* accessibility of having less weapons instead of carrying around a large arsenal at any time and more direct accumulation of wealth/upgrades and also the decent combat system.
d) It used to be a bad thing, now normally, they are released as a pack on steam for a low low price. The problem with serialization is having to play the preceding games before the next one.
e) However the fanboi's wish to spend their consumer surplus is their perogative; personally considering the 10's of thousands of dollars I've spent on hardware/software never mind time invested I'm nothing if not a fanboi mahself.
f) I think its a great idea in principle; however, games should be games first; they are better than cinema or TV or art thats why I enjoy them so.
g) Quite well. My mother was always happier I was playing games instead of taking drugs and spraypainting trains. Most of my friends and work colleagues (me being an engineer) are either gamers or ultra PC savvy and other people in my family are avid gamers.
h) Could you explain what a BMIT is?
i) You can't have one without the other ;)

InvisibleJim

Permabanned
:thinking: wow I really destroyed that acronym... MBTI. Just looking to relate gaming back to the forum topic a bit.

Gaming is the favoured playground of ISTJ/INTJ/INTP and ISTP (I assume based on some loose charts). However, MMORPGS, e.g. WOW also have great appeal for ENFJs and INFPs.

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
Gaming is the favoured playground of ISTJ/INTJ/INTP and ISTP (I assume based on some loose charts) men. However, MMORPGS, e.g. WOW also have great appeal for ENFJs and INFPs women.

Fixed that for ya! ;)

InvisibleJim

Permabanned
Fixed that for ya! ;)

^^ Like.

MBTI_sept29_rolesclass.png

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
Cool charts. Mostly I was teasing though, hence the wink.

mavericknm

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Whoa and I thought the Daedalus project was cool! I can has link to source?

Sigh... and I suppose we should be happy there are women anywhere on the internet.

Last edited:
A

Anew Leaf

Q: What is the sampling size of this survey?
Q: What was the method of obtaining this data?

For the record, I was the best priest healer evah on my server. Also, I used to play regular games too besides WoW. My all time favorites are: MOO2, AoE2, WC3, FF4 & 10, and HoMM2.

Now, I play video games rarely. I iz grown-up.

InvisibleJim

Permabanned
Q: What is the sampling size of this survey?
Q: What was the method of obtaining this data?

For the record, I was the best priest healer evah on my server. Also, I used to play regular games too besides WoW. My all time favorites are: MOO2, AoE2, WC3, FF4 & 10, and HoMM2.

Now, I play video games rarely. I iz grown-up.

Look at the left, there is an axis.

Otherwise, dunno.

I keep MOO2 installed on all mah machines. Shame about MOO3.

A

Anew Leaf

Look at the left, there is an axis.

Otherwise, dunno.

I keep MOO2 installed on all mah machines. Shame about MOO3.

Ok, so sampling size of about 615.

MOO3 was a shame. Fortunately, I didn't buy it. ^_^ I think the last real pc game I played was Bioshock. That game scared me. :(

Q: Did/Do you play WoW? If you did, what class did you play the most?

InvisibleJim

Permabanned
Ok, so sampling size of about 615.

MOO3 was a shame. Fortunately, I didn't buy it. ^_^ I think the last real pc game I played was Bioshock. That game scared me. :(

Q: Did/Do you play WoW? If you did, what class did you play the most?

I did and do on and off. My main char is a huntard who I have been playing since patch 1.2. My 2nd char is a pally tank since TBC.

A

Anew Leaf

I did and do on and off. My main char is a huntard who I have been playing since patch 1.2. My 2nd char is a pally tank since TBC.

ehl oh ehl.

I guess I shouldn't laugh since my first main character was a hunter as well.

Did you raid ever? Or do you just do your own solo kind of thing? Also, is Cata any fun?

InvisibleJim

Permabanned
ehl oh ehl.

I guess I shouldn't laugh since my first main character was a hunter as well.

Did you raid ever? Or do you just do your own solo kind of thing? Also, is Cata any fun?

I do and did raid, occasionally. I find I have less and less time for pre-organised events or enthusiasm to participate unless it is purely on my own terms. The storylines for quest areas are great in Cata, raids are disappointing in terms of innovation.

mavericknm

MBTI Type
ISTJ
My main char is a huntard who I have been playing since patch 1.2.

Haha I'm guilty of that too.

I do and did raid, occasionally. I find I have less and less time for pre-organised events or enthusiasm to participate unless it is purely on my own terms. The storylines for quest areas are great in Cata, raids are disappointing in terms of innovation.

Any clanning or competitive interest for other games?

Last edited by a moderator:

mavericknm

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Jim you haven't had any annoying questions in a while. That must be so horrifying! Here's a few less serious ones :D

You're playing on your favourite multi-player server. How do you react to the following situations?
a) someone teabags you
b) someone goes out of their way to humiliatingly kill you ex. knife in the back
c) someone is spawn camping and you're having a hard time of getting rid of them
d) a female gamer enters the server and begins idly talking to herself about her day clearly looking for attention
e) a group of pubescent teens are telling others how to play the game
f) someone is hacking and won't admit it

Do you enjoy partaking in any of the above value added game features? For d) consider the equivalent as gender bending and playing the role.

G

Ginkgo

So Jim like there's the conspiracy going torung that says your tryoig to create inderground music industry but not really it's actually that you're kind of a sour puss but I didnt say that I'm just an an INFoZRMNAT! I am a tool! A utensile under the guidence of the resitendt housekeeper. It's ok. IOk nevermind.

Sleep.

You're going to be ok if snakes enter yourb ed bed dont struggle

Status
Not open for further replies.