User Tag List

First 30383940414250 Last

Permabanned

Quote Originally Posted by InvisibleJim View Post
    They were banned by the moderators.
    lame.

Quote Originally Posted by Saturned View Post
    I know the brain has that blood-brain barrier as a protection. What does the heart have? All blood passes through the heart, and so many diseases/infections travel via the blood highway.
    Good point. The heart is actually infected more frequently than we realize. Muscles respond to pathogenic attacks differently than the delicate linings of the lungs and kidneys. Ignoring infection of the exterior membrane covering the heart (pericarditis), and the internal structure (endocarditis), one estimate shows that up to 5% of acute viral infections (such as the flu) also affect the heart muscle itself (myocarditis). We don't notice it, and nobody wants to do (or receive!) a biopsy unless it's causing a problem with heart function.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

The rational thing to do, as I pointed out to Haight, would be to assign an obsudsman to review staff decision making, this a consequence of the admins treating the moderators as friends rather than ensuring a standard across all moderators.

However being an auditor is an unpopular and difficult seat to be in, those being reviewed need to be willing to trust and respect the auditor as do those who employ said auditor. It is also a substantial workload to monitor the activities of many different individuals and to stop staff taking shortcuts which make their jobs 'easier' but make their decisions untraceable. For a great example of this see the 'Why was my thread moved' feedback from Savage Idealist.
    indeed, it would be. i have actually provided that position before for a group IRL i was a part of. it was not an easy nor pleasant thing, though now reflecting upon my type it probably was a poor match. i just stepped in because i was needed.

the other thing i could see doing would be to have a clear, consistent ruleset published, and then it would be relatively apparent to anyone when things have gone wrong.

or a mod review board? more than one person. several people. mods and non-mods, for as much fairness as possible. for more than one perspective.

the question that lingers is whether anyone in charge would be open to ideas such as these. if there is no perceived problem, then...

Anew Leaf

Quote Originally Posted by JAVO View Post
    Good point. The heart is actually infected more frequently than we realize. Muscles respond to pathogenic attacks differently than the delicate linings of the lungs and kidneys. Ignoring infection of the exterior membrane covering the heart (pericarditis), and the internal structure (endocarditis), one estimate shows that up to 5% of acute viral infections (such as the flu) also affect the heart muscle itself (myocarditis). We don't notice it, and nobody wants to do (or receive!) a biopsy unless it's causing a problem with heart function.
    Interesting. Is this a piece of why heart infections are so deadly? Ie, by the time you realize it is infected, you're near toast?

I wonder how difficult it would be to engineer a second heart as a redundancy system into an organism like a human body. Or if the very nature of trying this, make it pointless, since that organ would have to be hooked up to the same vessels as the original heart... the only thing that it would really accomplish would be to be a backup system for a defective heart... and that might be where darwinism needs to come in so that a genetic predisposition in having a terrible heart prime.

And that's how my Ne thinks. With lots of "...".

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

Therefore, you have four possible outcomes open to you.

a) You can ignore this conversation and leave in perpetual bliss.
    b) You can investigate and ignore the evidence and leave in perpetual bliss.
    c) You can investigate and decided that the this is 'par for the course' and 'fair' when considering the treatment of others and therefore concede that the moderation is a complete failure
    d) You can investigate and decide that this is specifically biased and that this is a least worst option to c.

Enjoy. Consider that I can only enjoy Options C and D. Aren't I a very nice member that I do not consider the moderation to be a complete failure, merely a biased one? As Saturned whispers: 'Optimist'.
    I missed this edit.

Upon further consideration I am going with

e) You can investigate and decide that this is 'par for the course' and 'fair' when considering the treatment of others and therefore concede that the moderation is pretty much normal for human behavior in these situations

I'm a 1st class masters post-graduate chemical and processing engineer. The only higher academic achievements I could have would be a doctorate and then to hold a professorship.

I've been an engineer developing greenfield redeveloping existing brownfield oil fields at the conceptual level and building up development plans which are now entering production for several years.

I once spent 3 months looking at over 600-700 well test samples and pvt analysis of petrochemical properties for one of the most mature oilfields in the middle east and how they correlated to minimum miscibility pressure then running statistical and stochastic analysis to give best fit guesses across the field and also proving the statistical relevance of what was measured which was then reviewed by the technical boards of several multinationals who are full of doctorates from MIT/ICL and technical experts. Yes, I know plenty of things about statistics in both theory and in the real world and it has been peer tested and reviewed thoroughly.

What, if anything, do you relish in your occupation? Put another way, is there anything you love about this work particularly? If so, what is that, and why do you think it makes you feel that way?
    the formless thing which gives things form!
    Found Forum Haiku Project

Positive Spin | your feedback welcomed | Darker Criticism

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

More recently it has been due to hacking. I think this morning the AJAX cache blew up (VB4.0 is a devil for AJAX crashing things) and no-one was around to hit the reset button on the server.
    I wouldn't have a problem with you taking guesses, except you speak with enough presumed authority that you might confuse people. So, I'll clarify this one: No, it wasn't actually a tech issue.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Banned

Interesting. Is this a piece of why heart infections are so deadly? Ie, by the time you realize it is infected, you're near toast?

I wonder how difficult it would be to engineer a second heart as a redundancy system into an organism like a human body. Or if the very nature of trying this, make it pointless, since that organ would have to be hooked up to the same vessels as the original heart... the only thing that it would really accomplish would be to be a backup system for a defective heart... and that might be where darwinism needs to come in so that a genetic predisposition in having a terrible heart prime.

The problem with this would be that to balance the pressure of blood flowing through the system without causing damage or an unusual pressure profile it would have to be designed into the optimum point in the system. It would also be questionable if why there are so few people dying from sudden heart failure before propogating to make it evolutionarily not optimal/adaptive why it would actually have any real tangible benefit.

Quote Originally Posted by Vasilisa View Post

What, if anything, do you relish in your occupation? Put another way, is there anything you love about this work particularly? If so, what is that, and why do you think it makes you feel that way?
    I like getting involved in big projects with a solid impact on society and pushing them through to a highly safe, efficient and economic standard.

Yes, there's not much room for seeing how well a treatment is working.

Your idea is a good one, as long as having a pulse isn't a requirement.

Edit: The ECG waveforms of a nonfunctional or fatally inefficient heartbeat are pretty straightforward and easy to detect with software. The redundant heart could also be configured to kick in fully or partially based on these and abnormal pressures, partially resolving the pressure issue InvisibleJim mentions.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by JAVO View Post
    Extremely interesting link is extremely interesting. Lessons learnt from the NASA heart* pump?
    Last edited by InvisibleJim; 07-20-2011 at 12:57 PM. Reason: spellings