User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INTP

Default INTP and Semi-Photographic Memory

My friends are so astonished at the level of retention I have in regard to memory. I know we are Si, but it's tertiary, so I didn't think it'd be that good. Like I am thinking near photographic memory.

IE. It can go from remembering what I was doing on specific days, birthdays of people I've spoken to only once/never met, or what someone was eating the last time we spoke (and I'm talking months/years apart), to past conversations and specific words that were spoken within that time or even where certain objects were placed.

At one point, I usually keep quiet because I am sometimes embarrassed to admit I actually remember these little things.

IE. I remember meeting a classmate whom I hadn't seen in years and actually remembering pretty much their life story from a presentation they did 6+ years ago as well as a few conversations we had. I didn't say anything since I didn't want to be creepy, but out of curiosity, I asked the some of the same questions [that I already had a hunch for the answer to] and sure enough, it was exactly how I had remembered.

The funny thing is on important things such as, tests or recalling directions, I tend to "forget" answers that I should have "retained," lol.

Is this an xNTP thing?

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

It doesn't have anything to do with type.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    -1w sp/sx
    Socionics
    IOU Ni

I have a pretty good memory myself and sometimes have to bite my tongue when people misquote what they've heard while I can remember the exact wording (I think memory for me it works particularly well with language), get dates / numbers wrong I could remember, etc. because I don't want to come across as nitpicking.
    I'm not sure if it's a Si thing or if it's just me because my ISTJ roommate isn't nearly as strict when it comes to these things while it makes my toenails curl when I hear something I know to be 'incorrect'. I also think ENTPs wouldn't care too much about it either.
    IN SERIO FATVITAS.

-τὸ γὰρ γράμμα ἀποκτέννει, τὸ δὲ πνεῦμα ζῳοποιεῖ-

I dunno...I've got a truly awful memory. Sometimes I can't even remember what pants I'm wearing until I look down.

But it strikes me as odd which things I do remember and which things I don't. Like I've remembered where my family's pulled over to the side of the road so I could pee as a kid, but if you asked me to recount the things I did yesterday, I'd be at a loss. Or if you just gave me some arbitrary bullshit to memorize, I wouldn't be able to do it very well.

Chances are it has nothing to do with type.

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

Probably not type related. I used to remember everything too. It faded for various reasons.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

^ Yeah, I used to have a very detailed memory as a kid, but not so much anymore.

I seem to be able to remember certain childhood events that other family members don't. Things that happened in our family, weird things people said. I don't remember a whole lot of visual detail though (mostl likely because I don't notice it in the first place) and it some ways I'm very out of it.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    -1w sp/sx
    Socionics
    IOU Ni

Quote Originally Posted by allegorystory View Post
    Sometimes I can't even remember what pants I'm wearing until I look down..
    Sometimes I startle and look for my glasses before I realize I'm actually wearing them ...
    IN SERIO FATVITAS.

-τὸ γὰρ γράμμα ἀποκτέννει, τὸ δὲ πνεῦμα ζῳοποιεῖ-

violaine

I'm INFJ, though occasionally test as INTP. I have a retentive memory. e.g. I can remember what I was wearing on any given day of interaction with someone. I have no idea why, but it's definitely a way my mind bookmarks bigger, associated memories. I also used to be able fly through tests based on word for word answers from required reading because I'd remember sentences on a page, like reading it from a photograph. I have a very detailed memory for people's life stories and later inconsistencies in someone's narrative. Those things just jump out at me.

It's not as sharp as it used to be and I wonder sometimes if that could be down to taking contraceptive pills. :/ And for things like bill paying and appointments (to a lesser degree)... Not so much. Thank the gods for scheduled payments and iPhone reminders.

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

Mostly I just remember little details around a central fact. Clusters of trivia, really.
    Otherwise, I forget events and people all of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorquendo View Post
    My friends are so astonished at the level of retention I have in regard to memory. I know we are Si, but it's tertiary, so I didn't think it'd be that good. Like I am thinking near photographic memory.

IE. It can go from remembering what I was doing on specific days, birthdays of people I've spoken to only once/never met, or what someone was eating the last time we spoke (and I'm talking months/years apart), to past conversations and specific words that were spoken within that time or even where certain objects were placed.

At one point, I usually keep quiet because I am sometimes embarrassed to admit I actually remember these little things.

IE. I remember meeting a classmate whom I hadn't seen in years and actually remembering pretty much their life story from a presentation they did 6+ years ago as well as a few conversations we had. I didn't say anything since I didn't want to be creepy, but out of curiosity, I asked the some of the same questions [that I already had a hunch for the answer to] and sure enough, it was exactly how I had remembered.

The funny thing is on important things such as, tests or recalling directions, I tend to "forget" answers that I should have "retained," lol.

Is this an xNTP thing?
    I'd think more a ISTP than INTP thing.
    To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, be nothing.
    ~ Elbert Hubbard

Music provides one of the clearest examples of a much deeper relation between mathematics and human experience.