User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    INTj

Default Reminiscing on my strange childhood...can you guys relate?

The other day I was reminiscing on my childhood (I'm 25 now) and one aspect that I found amusing in retrospect is how weird some aspects of it were and I'm wondering if any of you (most likely INTJs and INTPs) can relate to my experiences.

One thing I became obsessed with early were computers. They just made sense to me from the get go. We got our first computer in '96 when I was 9 years old. Within a few months I had become proficient with Windows 95 and the blazing-fast internet Within a year I had intuitively taught myself basic HTML/flash along with some Visual Basic programming and had a website with "appz" and hacks and what not haha; I think I had a movie and game review section as well, all for my probably non-existant fan base.

I even signed up for those “get paid to surf” websites where an ad banner sits on the bottom of your screen as for as long as your are active on the internet you were paid 50 cents an hour or something (which was actually worth something back then). Of course, I wrote a program that both hid the banner and tricked it into staying active all the time even when I wasn't on the computer. I ran multiple ones of these and made a ton of money...I sure would get pissed when our phone rang though! Sometime during all of this I was banned from AOL for figuring out a way to impersonate AOL employees in chatrooms. Of course I figured out some loop hole and proceeded to use multiple 1000 hour free trials repetitively for a couple of years, never having to pay for the internet (which I find weird since it was my parents who paid for it so why should a kid care about saving money on internet?) When those trial offers stopped, I hacked Netzero to run just like a regular ISP so I had more free internet for a pretty long time. By 8th grade I had an eBay account and was making some good money buying cheap things at the flea market and selling them for profit.

So thinking back, this seems like really strange behavior as a kid. But maybe some of you guys have a similar experience? Overall I feel like I was a pretty normal kid. I loved playing and watching sports (although I started gambling with my father and a friend on NFL and NBA games at age 11). But otherwise I went through a phase of pretending to be a spy, played with pogs/yoyos/Magic the Gathering along with performing magic tricks, playing tricks on my friends on AIM, video games and of course POWER RANGERS! I was so obsessed I even wrote a Power Rangers story, but I think this was like 3rd grade or something. I was so hyper that I hardly ever read or studied though, but managed to get alright grades. I got straight A's one time in 7th grade in exchange for a Nintendo 64 with CRUISIN USA from my parents which I was obsessed with.

I look forward to hearing from those who relate and hope you can share similar stories!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INTp

Nope, I think you were just a freak of nature.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Xyk View Post
    Nope, I think you were just a freak of nature.
    Yea me too. I pissed in the woods a lot.

Enneagram
    CFV

Your life would make an interesting premise for a movie/book, though I can't say I relate. All the energy you put into the internet I put into reading and whatever my main interest at the time was, which seemed to shift every 6 months.

NPcomplete

Nope. I read a lot, day-dreamed, watched too many cartoons, annoyed my sister, invented games and came up with schemes to get rich so I could get my own spaceship.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

By the time I was 12 I was kicking everybody's asses on Age of Empires 2, does that count?
    -----------------

A man builds. A parasite asks 'Where is my share?'
    A man creates. A parasite says, 'What will the neighbors think?'
    A man invents. A parasite says, 'Watch out, or you might tread on the toes of God... '

-----------------

A window to the soul

I didn't start programming until I was in college. As a kid, I spent most of my time outdoors.

MBTI
    INTP

Nope, but I think it's cool you were able to do all that. You were like the Doogie Howser of the internet.
    Something Witty

MBTI
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by thealchemist View Post
    Nope. I read a lot, day-dreamed, watched too many cartoons, annoyed my sister, invented games and came up with schemes to get rich so I could get my own spaceship.
    Haha apparently I was trying to get rich as well. I don't remember what for though. Probably video games. I also used to buy Warhead sour candies in bulk and sell them individually at school in 7th grade. Man, what ever happened to those things?

Quote Originally Posted by Rasofy View Post
    By the time I was 12 I was kicking everybody's asses on Age of Empires 2, does that count?
    Sweet! I played Age of Empires 1 every now and then, but never got really into it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd Girl View Post
    I didn't start programming until I was in college. As a kid, I spent most of my time outdoors.
    That's cool. I spent a ton of time outdoors as well. I was either on the computer or playing outside. I liked playing quarterback in football with my friends and loved coming up with crazy plays. Also I liked creating variety of capture the flag like games. I used to love being a leader as kid, now...not so much

Quote Originally Posted by Tallulah View Post
    Nope, but I think it's cool you were able to do all that. You were like the Doogie Howser of the internet.
    Haha my family still thinks I'm really really into computers as a result of my childhood, no matter what I tell them.

Man it feels nice to get some feedback about my childhood because I've never told people that I know about it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INTp

A more serious answer: during my childhood, I collected Ty beanie babies. I had a complex governing system as well as an economic system that was based both on democracy and prowess in physical combat. They had Dragonball-esque powers, and at various points, stats in a homemade rpg type game (pen and paper, not digital). My ENFJ older brother did very much of this with me, and helped a whole lot in fleshing it all out. They often faced world-shattering crises, and lived in a second universe, (after one got trashed somehow. I played through it, but I don't remember now), called the Biverse. I built them structures and vehicles and weapons out of k'nex. All designed by me or my brother with no help from any corporate instructions.