User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    ENTJ

Default ENTJs Dutch Uncle?

I am under the impression that ENTJs are stereotypically perceived as being the finest example of abrasiveness, intimidation, argumentativeness, and assertiveness at its most fierce magnitude. It is presumed that ENTJs have an eternal itch for debate and lean on the edge of their seats with an impatient yearning for an opportunity to deeply criticize.

Simply put, ENTJ is a four letter abbreviation to mean specifically Dutch uncle.

However, I don't meet the foregoing criteria. I'm very agreeable and like to maintain harmony. Certainly, I can painfully engrave my opinions with a verbal chisel into the minds of my peers, or emerge as a catholic school nun armed with a wooden ruler to agonizingly scold any unwarranted words that come out of my friends' mouths ... but why would I want to?

If you don't have to go to war, why give up the Corona in your hand for an M-16? Why sweat blood and bullets with suicidal and psychotic Taliban's in 100 degree weather, when you can choose to deeply unwind in a tropical and breezy island with a purple-stained panorama of a sunset to look forward to?

The same applies for arguments and debates. If its not work-related, or threatening my welfare - why not just throw them the bone?

Acting on a "debative" impulse, without any need to, is not logical or necessary. If I'm a leader of a group and things need to get done, they better get done quickly before the speeding train of my wrath arrives to wreck through any lingering bullshit. At work, I am a seasoned pilot of pushing people's buttons to get what I want and could be considered the modern day Michelangelo of character sculpting. Have you ever had a Dutch boss? If you ever did, a tempered Irish mouth can begin resonate more like dialogue from a childrens book when compared to the roar of an angry corporate lion.

I can easily champion any debate, but why not utilize more constructive and fun-loving verbiage in casual dialogue? When hanging out with friends after a long day, wouldn't it be more stimulating to "have-fun" and joke around - as opposed to exhausting you energy further by shoving irate commands down others' throats?

If you knew me outside of my professional career, you would consider me the most friendly, agreeable and open minded person you've met.

I don't like starting debates unless its in the context of work or my personal finances, and would rather enjoy the savory Corona over a few jokes than have my mouth blasting hard-to-swallow counterpoint bullets like a machine gun. Nor would I want move to Amsterdam with my nephew and chase fiery-debates to become fully certified in argumentology and obstinate studies because debates are just that fun.

I can't fathom how people arrive at the verdict that ENTJs are the at pinnacle of criticism and admonition; do we appear to act that way, but just completely oblivious of it?

Is our friendly manner just considered ENTJs on their best behavior? Personally, I certainly don't consider myself to fit the stereotypical definition.

Can any of you others harmonize?

As you may have noticed, I love to ask tons of questions. Heck, half of post is comprised of questions used to get my point across. I ask questions everywhere I go and to whomever I meet. I can burn out your brain and leave you in a state of complete confusion and loss of identity after a quick one minute interview. Just staring at someone would immediately impose a quizzical look on their face hahah. Are questions a good way of getting a questionable point across? (Trick question courtesy of me having to many Coronas) Hahah yea, I had way to many. I'll probably end up editing this in the morning. Good Night!
    got chaos?

Ginkgo

Quote Originally Posted by MoneyTick View Post
    I am under the impression that ENTJs are stereotypically perceived as being the finest example of abrasiveness, intimidation, argumentativeness, and assertiveness at its most fierce magnitude. It is presumed that ENTJs have an eternal itch for debate and lean on the edge of their seats with an impatient yearning for an opportunity to deeply criticize.

Simply put, ENTJ is a three letter abbreviation to mean specifically Dutch uncle.

However, I don't meet the foregoing criteria. I'm very agreeable and like to maintain harmony. Certainly, I can painfully engrave my opinions with a verbal chisel into the minds of my peers, or emerge as a catholic school nun armed with a wooden ruler to agonizingly scold any unwarranted words that come out of my friends' mouths ... but why would I want to?

If you don't have to go to war, why give up the Corona in your hand for an M-16? Why sweat blood and bullets with suicidal and psychotic Taliban's in 100 degree weather, when you can choose to deeply unwind in a tropical and breezy island with a purple-stained panorama of a sunset to look forward to?

The same applies for arguments and debates. If its not work-related, or threatening my welfare - why not just throw them the bone?

Acting on a "debative" impulse, without any need to, is not logical or necessary. If I'm a leader of a group and things need to get done, they better get done quickly before the speeding train of my wrath arrives to wreck through any lingering bullshit. At work, I am a seasoned pilot of pushing people's buttons to get what I want and could be considered the modern day Michelangelo of character sculpting. Have you ever had a Dutch boss? If you ever did, a tempered Irish mouth can begin resonate more like dialogue from a childrens book when compared to the roar of an angry corporate lion.

I can easily champion any debate, but why not utilize more constructive and fun-loving verbiage in casual dialogue? When hanging out with friends after a long day, wouldn't it be more stimulating to "have-fun" and joke around - as opposed to exhausting you energy further by shoving irate commands down others' throats?

If you knew me outside of my professional career, you would consider me the most friendly, agreeable and open minded person you've met.

I don't like starting debates unless its in the context of work or my personal finances, and would rather enjoy the savory Corona over a few jokes than have my mouth blasting hard-to-swallow counterpoint bullets like a machine gun. Nor would I want move to Amsterdam with my nephew and chase fiery-debates to become fully certified in argumentology and obstinate studies because debates are just that fun.

I can't fathom how people arrive at the verdict that ENTJs are the at pinnacle of criticism and admonition; do we appear to act that way, but just completely oblivious of it?

Is our friendly manner just considered ENTJs on their best behavior? Personally, I certainly don't consider myself to fit the stereotypical definition.

As you may have noticed, I love to ask tons of questions. Heck, half of post is comprised of questions used to get my point across. I ask questions everywhere I go and to whomever I meet. I can burn out your brain and leave you in a state of complete confusion and loss of identity after a quick one minute interview. Just staring at someone would immediately impose a quizzical look on their face hahah. Are questions a good way of getting a questionable point across? (Trick question courtesy of me having to many Coronas) Hahah yea, I had way to many. I'll probably end up editing this in the morning. Good Night!
    How long did it take you to write this post? Lol.

Ginkgo

Quote Originally Posted by MoneyTick View Post

Simply put, ENTJ is a three letter abbreviation to mean specifically Dutch uncle.

MBTI
    ENTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Ginkgo View Post
    I mustered it up in less time than it took you to read it. hah
    got chaos?

MBTI
    NSFW
    Enneagram
    6w7

I respect and like the ENTJ I know irl. He sounds similar to your description, especially in the way he discerns between an appropriate time to kick ass and a time just to let things go. I wouldn't say he's 'the most' friendly, agreeable and open-minded guy--though he is friendly, agreeable and open-minded.

But then again, I happen to be in the group of people he respects, so he always treats me well. The people he doesn't respect--well, they get baited and have their buttons pushed and I will occasionally admonish him for it, and he'll say they deserve it, and I'll shake my head and sigh (but have to admit that they often deserve it). Again, he has the insight and discernment to pick his battles, and enough heart to back off if the other person is truly taking it badly, which is why I still respect him though others will be crying out that he's a meanie.

figsfiggyfigs

Shhhhhh. Now everyone is going to call you a feeler

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

I don't doubt that ENTJ's are nice and enjoyable people to be around. I know I have fun and enjoy the ones that I've been around. I see it like this: T-doms can really rub people the wrong way. The T function is honest, outspoken, critical of obvious errors in judgment, tells it like it is, calls people out on their B.S. (and there's a LOT of B.S. going on in this world) - so when the T-dom does this, it can seem excessive or too harsh to others, who are not T-doms. I find that a lot of people don't speak up for themselves in this world. They are sad, frustrated, angry, feel taken advantage of, etc, but they just take it. So, just like you, I'm very capable of being a friendly person who is laid back and fun to hang out with. But, when I speak with my T, it sometimes does cause problems and looks of horror on the face of others. To me, I'm just calling things as I see them, but to others, I'm sometimes being abrasive. I've had many people tell me, "I was thinking exactly what you said, but I would have never said it" - and that's reassuring to some degree - because it lets me know that I'm not completely off-base in my assessments. I'm just willing to voice it, while others may not be as willing.

IME, if you don't voice your T in this world, people will walk all over you. They really will. Not everyone will. But, many will. And you'll find yourself in compromising positions, giving more than you ever wanted to give of yourself, being a doormat, controlled by the whims of others - you start to lose some control of your own life. You are the captain of your ship - don't let anyone else gain control of the wheel.

In summary, I'm a fun-loving guy and fairly easy to get along with. Pretty darn flexible. But if I start to feel compromised, I'm going back to "old faithful" - my T function. I'm putting down my Corona, and I'm taking up my M-16. Like you said, I don't want to do that - why would I? I want peace to prevail. But, if you really start to step on me or get out of line - I won't hesitate. I'll get my message across very clearly - sometimes too clearly - and that's where others see T-doms as abrasive - because it's a dead-honest assessment and it forces you to look at yourself in the mirror and it exposes B.S. for what it truly is - B.S!
    NTJ's are the only types that have ever made me feel emo.
    ENP's are the only types that have ever made me feel like a sensor.

There are two great days in a person's life - the day we are born and the day we discover why. --William Barclay

Hey MoneyTick, it was once explained to me as a comparative. Would you say ENTJs are relaxed, fun loving individuals compared to most other types? How about an ISFP?

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Lol, that was pretty amusing.

Drink some whiskey & post something.

MBTI
    ENTJ

Quote Originally Posted by FunnyDigestion View Post
    Lol, that was pretty amusing.

Drink some whiskey & post something.
    That's such a great idea!

Okay, I'm popping open a bottle of that Laphroaig Irish scotch tomorrow night after I get back from work.

FunnyDigestion, this next one is all for you ... Give me a pointless thesis and watch that scotch work it :P
    got chaos?