• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTJ] Are INTJ naturally born strategist?

ultimawepun

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w2
As frequently as ISTP's being badass, the answer is no.

FunnyDigestion

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
You mean like playing Risk a lot, intermixed w/ a little chess & finally progressing to Dr. Strangelove-type world domination efforts? I think that's the personality taken to its logical extreme, yes.

They seem like very rigorous individuals. That's all I'll say.

FunnyDigestion

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I don't really understand what is meant by the Fe function... is it just knowing what to say in social situations?

Or more about feeling others' feelings & sensing what they could be feeling, seeing from their perspective?...

INTPness

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I don't really understand what is meant by the Fe function... is it just knowing what to say in social situations?

Or more about feeling others' feelings & sensing what they could be feeling, seeing from their perspective?...

If I got the joke correctly, he was saying that he enjoyed your compliment (calling him a "rigorous individual").

FunnyDigestion

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Oh. Lol, didn't notice that was a joke.

My mind is straight blown right now.

Stanton Moore

morose bourgeoisie
MBTI Type
INFP
'rigorous' comes from a Latin word meaning stiff or rigid. C.f. inflexible.

INTPness

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4

Sure, but it also has a connotation of being hard-working, focused, and diligent. As centuries go on, sometimes words take on slightly different meanings in addition to their original meaning. The INTJ's I know are rigorous, but I think of it in an admirable way. Sometimes in the way you mention also, but I do admire the rigor with which they go about their business day in and day out.

INTPness

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4

Actually, yeah, after looking up the word rigorous, you're right - it doesn't really have a "positive" connotation at all. I guess I've been misusing the word all this time. When I think of an individual who works hard and is very diligent, I consider them to have a rigorous work ethic. But, maybe I need to find a new word for it.

Stanton Moore

morose bourgeoisie
MBTI Type
INFP
Actually, yeah, after looking up the word rigorous, you're right - it doesn't really have a "positive" connotation at all. I guess I've been misusing the word all this time. When I think of an individual who works hard and is very diligent, I consider them to have a rigorous work ethic. But, maybe I need to find a new word for it.

Problem solved!

Metamorphosis

MBTI Type
INTJ
No.

Do they have an advantage when it comes to employing and/or learning strategy? Probably. But then, it has a lot to do with what kind of strategy you're talking about. Business? Combat? Getting laid?

This kind of idea is so popular because INTJs want to believe it, as it strokes their ego, and they tend to have an advantage over other types when everyone is inexperienced. Trust me, though, a naturally born INTJ is never going to beat another type that actually works on their strategic skills, so it's kind of irrelevant. I work in a strategic environment that is positively flooded with INTJs and there is a big discrepancy in strategic skill level among individuals.

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
If one is an INTJ and goes by the general NiTe functioning thought process, then their thoughts would automatically move through envisioning and implementation. This can be seen as 'naturally strategising' and would be common with the general areas of their lives. There may be questioning of one's type as INTJ if they do not naturally go through the NiTe strategising thought process as a common occurrence.

uumlau

Happy Dancer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Sort of. As Oakysage mentions, the thought patterns are kind of naturally strategic. The strategy, however, isn't where people think it is. It isn't the ability to plan everything out in detail. It's the ability to choose effective goals, and easily changing goals and plans as needed to achieve a single overall goal.

FunnyDigestion

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Sort of. As Oakysage mentions, the thought patterns are kind of naturally strategic. The strategy, however, isn't where people think it is. It isn't the ability to plan everything out in detail. It's the ability to choose effective goals, and easily changing goals and plans as needed to achieve a single overall goal.

Don't you ever get locked into a plan though, like bound & boxed in by your own inflexible will to do something?

Because otherwise, that's the same attitude I have. Plans & goals for me are jumping-off points to get moving somewhere, & they can change 180 degrees or mutate into something totally different (or be put on the shelf indefinitely, or totally abandoned) as I go along & succeed / fail at various things.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Don't you ever get locked into a plan though, like bound & boxed in by your own inflexible will to do something?
If we do, then we are not using our functions in "proper" balance. We are, perhaps, so fixated on the Ni vision, that we ignore Te logical inputs about available resources and possible problems. It might also mean that a goal is no longer (or never was) in synch with our personal priorities or values. The longer it takes to recognize such oversights, the harder it can be to adjust and recover, but one thing about being INTJ seems to be that there is always a way out of the box, usually more than one.

Uumlau is correct that the strategizing relates more to setting goals than to their implementation. As long as our goals remain relevant and worthwhile, commitment to them is inspiring rather than confining. We are able to see many routes to each endpoint and can thus adjust implementation as needed, essentially the contingency-planning ability often associated with our type.

INTPness

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
If we do, then we are not using our functions in "proper" balance. We are, perhaps, so fixated on the Ni vision, that we ignore Te logical inputs about available resources and possible problems. It might also mean that a goal is no longer (or never was) in synch with our personal priorities or values. The longer it takes to recognize such oversights, the harder it can be to adjust and recover, but one thing about being INTJ seems to be that there is always a way out of the box, usually more than one.

Uumlau is correct that the strategizing relates more to setting goals than to their implementation. As long as our goals remain relevant and worthwhile, commitment to them is inspiring rather than confining. We are able to see many routes to each endpoint and can thus adjust implementation as needed, essentially the contingency-planning ability often associated with our type.

You guys are awesome - in a non-INTP kind of way.

guesswho

MBTI Type
ENTP
ENTPs are naturally born lottery winners.

oh wait...

it's an INTJ thread :laugh: