• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] NT romance: general inquiry

FunnyDigestion

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I did a search in this forum for thread titles containing the word 'romance' & all the threads were by people who belong in this forum. As an outsider, I would like to make the first outsider-thread about romance in this forum.

I sort of have a problem with relationships because it's difficult for me to continuously have new things to talk about with people unless they have a weird kind of intellectual bent. Sort of a zany element of inquisitiveness.

But, the people (women) I always connect best with in terms of chemistry are the expressive touchy-feely, sensitive types. My girlfriend of 3-&-a-half years I'm pretty sure was ISFJ, & most other girls I've been with or even AROUND for an extended time are probably Feeling types.

It makes sense because my feelings are strong, but I can't express them except in music or writing because they're too weird & fragmented. If I ever talk about them I use the easiest, dumbest, most obvious terms because I feel like it would damage the people I'm usually around if I told them everything.

So (having learned about the MBTI system a few months ago), I think I need to cultivate more Thinking-based relationships in my life. But the problem is that romance is very important to me. Truthfully, it's far more important than almost everything else. Intelligence & intuitive understanding & so on are nearly completely subsidiary to it, as far as I'm concerned, & I start feeling like I'm decaying or dwindling away inside if I go for a while without it.

For example, after my girlfriend & I broke up, even though I was heartbroken I was immediately going out & trying to find girls to have romantic times with. & you think I mean sex by that, since that's what it would seem to mean, but actually since I was grieving I didn't even care about sex, all I wanted was romance (whatever that might be....).

That was in early 2010. Right now I've barely done anything social in about 6 months, just working & going home, gettin my superior-league hermit on.

So, I'm just wondering what NT romance is like. What are your concepts of it, how do you approach it? Is it important to you? Do you notice yourself changing if you go without it? etc.

rav3n

NT to NT romance is fitting tab A into slot B. At this point we give each other mutual shocks, recharge, detach and wander off.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
I'd like to answer but could you explain what romance means for you first of all ? You said its not about intuitive understanding or intelligence and its not about sex. Fill that gap for me

INTPness

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I did a search in this forum for thread titles containing the word 'romance' & all the threads were by people who belong in this forum. As an outsider, I would like to make the first outsider-thread about romance in this forum.

I sort of have a problem with relationships because it's difficult for me to continuously have new things to talk about with people unless they have a weird kind of intellectual bent. Sort of a zany element of inquisitiveness.

But, the people (women) I always connect best with in terms of chemistry are the expressive touchy-feely, sensitive types. My girlfriend of 3-&-a-half years I'm pretty sure was ISFJ, & most other girls I've been with or even AROUND for an extended time are probably Feeling types.

It makes sense because my feelings are strong, but I can't express them except in music or writing because they're too weird & fragmented. If I ever talk about them I use the easiest, dumbest, most obvious terms because I feel like it would damage the people I'm usually around if I told them everything.

So (having learned about the MBTI system a few months ago), I think I need to cultivate more Thinking-based relationships in my life. But the problem is that romance is very important to me. Truthfully, it's far more important than almost everything else. Intelligence & intuitive understanding & so on are nearly completely subsidiary to it, as far as I'm concerned, & I start feeling like I'm decaying or dwindling away inside if I go for a while without it.

For example, after my girlfriend & I broke up, even though I was heartbroken I was immediately going out & trying to find girls to have romantic times with. & you think I mean sex by that, since that's what it would seem to mean, but actually since I was grieving I didn't even care about sex, all I wanted was romance (whatever that might be....).

That was in early 2010. Right now I've barely done anything social in about 6 months, just working & going home, gettin my superior-league hermit on.

So, I'm just wondering what NT romance is like. What are your concepts of it, how do you approach it? Is it important to you? Do you notice yourself changing if you go without it? etc.

This is very interesting to me. I see romance as an important element (and certainly an enjoyable element), but I'm even more interested in things like loyalty, trust, and a feeling of "we're in this together". Being best friends, partners in crime. If I can, I want to enhance your life and make your life better and happier, support you in the things/endeavors that are important to you (whether it be hobbies, career-wise, or other) and hopefully I can get the same exact thing in return. I want us to be the ultimate support system for one another - to literally enhance each other's lives. But, also, I want us to be complete and happy as individual people. People that *desperately need* someone in order to be happy are going to eventually suck the life out of the other person with their expectations and trying to have all their needs met by that person (impossible). There's a saying that "if you're not able to be completely happy as an individual, then you're not yet ready to marry". You'll do more damage than good.

With that said, Jenaphor makes a great point. If you have "strength A" and "A" is my weakness, then we're going to be a more well-rounded couple. If my "strength B" helps you out and makes you better, then you're going to be that much more happy. One person might bring care and compassion. The other person brings inner strength. It's mutually beneficial. So, even though it sounds very NT-ish (robotic?), there's utility in that. If your strengths and my strengths (tab A into slot B) can make us each happier, then it works out really, really well. If we're both really good in the same areas and both really weak in the same areas, then it's just going to be like having an identical twin following you around. What can you add to my life and what can I add to yours? How can you make my life better and how can I make yours better? Utility, but also love. It's both.

And if all that stuff lines up, then maybe we haz da babiez. :banana:

FunnyDigestion

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I'd like to answer but could you explain what romance means for you first of all ? You said its not about intuitive understanding or intelligence and its not about sex. Fill that gap for me

it contains all of those things... as well as anything else you want to bring in. i don't know, it just involves everything that is important to me about life, everything beautiful... two people who are separate & then come together for however much time & are changed however much by their contact with something outside their own individual self-- when you think about it everything in nature ultimately follows that same pattern of two things impacting or coming into each other, growing & moving life forward.. it's like a fun, moving, roller-coaster like, emotional, deep, great thing, that extends tentacle-like in all directions. think about music. how many songs are about love? or if not love, 'love & related issues'. & i try to always follow the musicians, so there you go....

R

ReflecTcelfeR

I imagine the difference can be found with what intpness said, I see it as a partnership. I think romance immediately creates an unbalanced relationship and if for some reason that romance were to die out, so would a critical part of that relationships survival mechanism. That being said romance is an evolutionary way to prolong our seed so... Yeah, it's a fine line.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
it contains all of those things... as well as anything else you want to bring in. i don't know, it just involves everything that is important to me about life, everything beautiful... two people who are separate & then come together for however much time & are changed however much by their contact with something outside their own entity-- when you think about it all of nature ultimately adheres to that method of growth & moving-forward. it's like a fun, moving, roller-coaster like, emotional, deep, great thing, that extends tentacle-like in all directions. think about music. how many songs are about love? or if not love, 'love & related issues'. & i try to always follow the musicians, so there you go....

Ok thanks for explaining. I do like that very much in a partner, if she is totally high on emotions and takes me with her. Its prolly why I am together with a Fi-dom. On the other hand that what I love the most is actually too the thing I lack the most. When my gf talks about me she says she sees a huge and deep amount of emotions in me, I dont see that.

I know they are there and that they influence my control over my body subconciously, but I cant live them like you can. For what its worth I envy you that you can but I'd fear it if I had to do it for me

rav3n

In retrospect, the times cherished were the simplest of moments, where there was a wide open connection with loved ones or places in nature.

One such moment was on a warm summer's evening with a breeze gently blowing to cool, sitting replete on the balcony after a perfect meal. We were chatting about inconsequential topics where there were moments of contented quiet, soaking up the sunset.

Another shared moment of supreme contentment was sitting together under an outdoor umbrella, a summer rainstorm hammering all around us while we sat dry and warm, enjoying coffee and sharing ice cream.
Two concrete examples of ST to NT romance and NT to NT romance. You can extrapolate from there.

It is connection. Sharing, talking, understanding. Not needing to speak to understand and yet, enjoying speaking, even if there's no intellectual topic. It is sharing the zone, the wavelength.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Two concrete examples of ST to NT romance and NT to NT romance. You can extrapolate from there.

It is connection. Sharing, talking, understanding. Not needing to speak to understand and yet, enjoying speaking, even if there's no intellectual topic. It is sharing the zone, the wavelength.

precisely :) Saying that made you even more sexy :)

R

ReflecTcelfeR

It. Is. Perfection!!!!! The sentient being that is created from this romance is unstoppable!

rav3n

Thanks guys! I absolutely hate drama and angst in relationships. If a relationship gets drama loaded, buh bye!

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
NT to NT romance is fitting tab A into slot B. At this point we give each other mutual shocks, recharge, detach and wander off.

Well, P's probably spend time in a loose orbit, kind of like mutual Hayleys Comets circling around each other over time, but as an example it computes. *bzzzzt ZAP*

Thanks guys! I absolutely hate drama and angst in relationships. If a relationship gets drama loaded, buh bye!

Drama/Angst = bad

A little bit is okay at first as we're still figuring things out, and I'm okay with drama elsewhere being discussed (not drama generated by the relationship itself); but if it becomes the center piece and I'm constantly investing energy just to stabilize something that I'm realizing is perpetually unstable... no, don't like that. :(

precisely :) Saying that made you even more sexy :)

Flirt.

rav3n

Wow Jen! Refer to the attached pictorial description of how an INTP/ENTJ relationship works. :laugh:

FunnyDigestion

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Do you guys ever notice yourselves becoming less internally energized, or unenthusiastic & kind of dry & barren-feeling inside if you go a while without being engaged with someone in a romantic / relationship-type way?

The past 6 months have been the first time I've been completely not-involved-with-anyone & also pretty solidly good & alive internally. I don't really know why though.

Redbone

Orisha
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Do you guys ever notice yourselves becoming less internally energized, or unenthusiastic & kind of dry & barren-feeling inside if you go a while without being engaged with someone in a romantic / relationship-type way?

The past 6 months have been the first time I've been completely not-involved-with-anyone & also pretty solidly good & alive internally. I don't really know why though.

No. It will take me a considerable time to decide whether it is worth it to be in a relationship. No matter how I feel about the person, too.

xisnotx

Permabanned
I think, the simple answer is, romance is an expression of love. That's what it is in my mind, at least.

How I go about it is dependent on the receiver of this expression. After all, I think romance is more about the receiver than the giver. What is romantic to one receiver may or may not be romantic to another.

I personally hate being the receiver of romance, so I just usually smile and try to get it over with as soon as possible. Being the the giver of romance can be fun (it's like a puzzle or a game) but ultimately, I think romance should just exist in a relationship. Another way of saying this..romantic gestures with the intent of being perceived as romantic gestures seem to me to be less romantic than those gestures that were not meant to be necessarily romantic, but are anyway.