User Tag List

12 Last

Default People get worked up about the weirdest things...

Maybe it's cause I work in customer service, but increasingly nowadays I just see SO MANY people overreact to what seems like the silliest little things.

Do you think people just like to make big deals out of things? Like it gives their lives some kind of meaning?

Where does this tendency to be dramatic (in some people) come from evolutionarily?

Wouldn't it seem to be more of a benefit to be more adaptable and less particular?

I don't know where I'm going with this. It just seems so...interesting! And weird! I guess it's just how our brains are wired, but I dunno...are particular people happy very often? What real GOOD comes from cultivating drama?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Some people are so fucked up that they think all of their problems are other people's faults. These people feel they don't have the power/status they deserve, so they make up using these small opportunities to ''feel important''. It's also a way to relieve stress.
    Where does this tendency to be dramatic (in some people) come from evolutionarily?
    Evolutionarily, putting the blame for every problem on outside factors probably have helped people maintaining self esteem. It's easier. You sleep better at the end of the day.

-----------------

A man builds. A parasite asks 'Where is my share?'
    A man creates. A parasite says, 'What will the neighbors think?'
    A man invents. A parasite says, 'Watch out, or you might tread on the toes of God... '

-----------------

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

I'm pretty sure people are just people, but we live in a society where corporatized consumerism is

1) extremely high volume, which exposes you to a larger number of demanding assholes in a shorter period of time than people may have been fifty or sixty years ago

2) and additionally the U.S. has this insane mantra that the customer is always right, while at smaller businesses and many places in Europe or other countries if people act like that, the store reserves the right to kick them the fuck out...but in the U.S. people feel entitled to act as they please as long as they can pay

So there you have it.

It's partly human nature, partly social conditioning. Voila.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INTp

I totally know where you're coming from. I referee youth soccer. Those parents will scream at me over the most inane little things. They clearly do not remember what they're doing. They're watching 9-year-olds play a game.

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irHXfdWqrpA"]yea[/YOUTUBE]

I think there was a video of some kids in cancoon that had a little riot at mc donalds.

(there are alot of videos of employees being attacked at mc donalds, or attacks happening at mc donalds)

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Yes, I believe Melody had a bit too much to drink. I always find it interesting that when somebody's kid has some insane inappropriate anger problem like that, the mom is always willing to defend them.

So you know that the kid learned to be that way, if not by example, from permissiveness.

IT'S ALWAYS THE MOTHER'S FAULT.

Lay the coin on my tongue SilkRoad's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

I do think people are under a lot of stress and it just comes out. I mean, some people are complete assholes, but I occasionally find myself getting angrier than I should (though only rarely is it obvious) about small things, and it's stress related. Generally I'm very laid back (see my thread in Relationships, haha.)

I've gotten mad quite a few times in customer service scenarios in recent years, but I grew up in Canada and now live in the UK, where the customer service is some of the worst in the Western world. I used to work in various customer service positions and I made such an effort to be professional and as courteous as possible, and so many people here don't give a damn. Mostly I try to remember that customer service can be difficult and I should be patient and polite as the customer, but bad service just because the person could care less really winds me up. Unfortunately, I've found that getting mad and raising your voice is sometimes the only way to get a result!
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx

I DOORSLAMMING

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

The things I've found about people making a huge deal out of small things:

1. The biggest: it isn't so small to them. Whether they don't have many problems in life so they don't know how to deal with the small stuff, hate HATE hate things changing or being out of the ordinary so they cry over spilt milk, whatever the situation is it is a HUGE problem for them, and they cannot see that in anyone else's shoes it wouldn't be a big deal. The difference in perceived value is mostly what makes thse people look 'dumb'.
    2. I've also noticed people like to take their frustration out on things that don't matter. Can't talk back to your mother-in-law? And 10 minutes after, you get a notice you have a late fee at blockbuster? ... You don't ever have to deal with blockbuster dude on the phone again... However, you do have to see mother-in-law next week for thanksgiving. Guess which gets the brunt of the stress and frustration? Customer service dude.
    3. To a lesser extent, people are genuinely stressed out over something truly taxing, and they know they cannot help but be rude or pissed off, but they need to get these things done anyways.. and every tiny detail that goes wrong just feeds that rage inside.

I think a combination of all three is best illustrated in Paranormal Activity, that scary movie, by the main girl character interacting with her boyfriend. She displays all three of these.. #1 from the start, which leads to #3, and eventually she takes her anger out on him because of #2.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

i feel like sometimes people throw fits over little things because they feel like it's something they shouldn't have to worry about. "target doesn't have my favorite brand of toilet tissue, what the fuck is the problem!?!?!!??!!"

edit. that video.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by Xyk View Post
    I totally know where you're coming from. I referee youth soccer. Those parents will scream at me over the most inane little things. They clearly do not remember what they're doing. They're watching 9-year-olds play a game.
    Haha. Seriously. I accidentally pulled out in front of another car recently and he had to slow down for me. It was my mistake. So, sure enough, he comes up next to me flipping me off and screaming behind his window, etc. While motioning to him that "Yes, it was my fault, sorry", I had a similar thought as you with the soccer parents. Clearly this guy has forgotten that he's just driving 30mph home from work. It's nothing of earth-shattering importance. It's just a peaceful drive home from work with your air conditioning going and your radio playing.
    NTJ's are the only types that have ever made me feel emo.
    ENP's are the only types that have ever made me feel like a sensor.

There are two great days in a person's life - the day we are born and the day we discover why. --William Barclay