User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: People get worked up about the weirdest things...

Banned Array

Quote Originally Posted by allegorystory View Post
    What real GOOD comes from cultivating drama?
    Nothing, but fuck that old lady that cut infront of me when I was about to get my Smoked Salmon Philly Baguette. I am no longer young, so I can't bother to say live and let live anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Rasofy View Post
    Some people are so fucked up that they think all of their problems are other people's faults. These people feel they don't have the power/status they deserve, so they make up using these small opportunities to ''feel important''. It's also a way to relieve stress.
    Ahhhh yes. Entitlement. One of the most useless frames of mind to be in...bring you nothing but disappointment (usually).

Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    2. I've also noticed people like to take their frustration out on things that don't matter. Can't talk back to your mother-in-law? And 10 minutes after, you get a notice you have a late fee at blockbuster? ... You don't ever have to deal with blockbuster dude on the phone again... However, you do have to see mother-in-law next week for thanksgiving. Guess which gets the brunt of the stress and frustration? Customer service dude.
    This is really good insight, thanks. I never thought of it quite like that but yeah, it's way easier to let out your aggressions on Perfect Stranger over there because there won't necessarily be long-term side effects...but if you take it out on someone in your intimate life, it could make things WAY worse.

Quote Originally Posted by INTPness View Post
    Haha. Seriously. I accidentally pulled out in front of another car recently and he had to slow down for me. It was my mistake. So, sure enough, he comes up next to me flipping me off and screaming behind his window, etc. While motioning to him that "Yes, it was my fault, sorry", I had a similar thought as you with the soccer parents. Clearly this guy has forgotten that he's just driving 30mph home from work. It's nothing of earth-shattering importance. It's just a peaceful drive home from work with your air conditioning going and your radio playing.
    The alternative sounds so nice and relaxing and fun. I guess there are people who just don't really relax and have fun. Though I've still yet to understand WHY they won't allow themselves what seems to be such a basic human desire.

I'm not trying to be all self-righteous here. I can get worked up over silly things too (usually stress related). But overall, I just don't understand! Why have a society built in such a way that negatively interacts with our instinctual responses to things (stress is important for avoiding danger and survival, but why do we put up with a societal construct that makes us constantly stressed? It's not necessary!)

Honor Thy Inferior Array Such Irony's Avatar
    5w6 sp/so
    LII Ne

I work in a library where I deal with many customers a day and I see this too- people getting overly worked up over minor things. Someone has a 50 cent fine and they blow it way out of proportion. They can still check materials out as long as the fines are below $10. I guess it's the principle of the thing- people don't like being told they owe money. This is especially true when it's from a few years ago and they don't even remember ever checking out the item. Some get bent out of shape if we currently have the book they want in stock. There are thousands of books to choose from, there must be something else that will suit you.
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Neutral Good

8w9 sx/sp

I think that most of it is just transference from other areas of their life.
    "I am the one who knocks."

<3 Hyacinth

Quote Originally Posted by allegorystory View Post
    I don't know where I'm going with this. It just seems so...interesting! And weird! I guess it's just how our brains are wired, but I dunno...are particular people happy very often? What real GOOD comes from cultivating drama?

I dont think any to be honest, not at all, for the most part I think that there's a huge population of people who've got really poor skills when it comes to their emotional self-regulation and that pattern is spreading.

In some ways the paternalism of governments and consumerism of the marketplace feed it but people arent contented enough that they'll try and problem solve or seek solutions or have a solution focus, instead they catastrophise something serious, either because they think it will make soliciting help easier, make them interesting to others or worthy of attention.

There's a lot of frustration created by totally unreal expectations and feelings of entitlement too. I dont mean the trad feeling of entitlement, it was maybe easier when this was restricted to benefits and welfare and expectations about material things, now I feel as though too many people expect strangers to interact with them as though they were their parents or some kind of devotees.