User Tag List

First 456

Quote Originally Posted by Qlippoth View Post
    Also consider the possibility that you don't sound stupid while attempting small talk, you just feel stupid. If you pay attention, it's amazing how much inane banter is vocalized everyday and noone bats an eyelid. Once you realize the point: not exchanging information, but making connections.. then maybe you'll feel more comfortable with the process.
    This is good advice. You can pretty much say whatever the hell you feel like most of the time. Just as long as you aren't rubbing people the wrong way.

MBTI
    INxx
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Must you engage in small talk? If there are regular times small talk is pushed upon you such as work or school then there is a bare minimum you have to engage in it. Perhaps you could just meet that minimum by treating it as a responsibility, effecting it as an important social function.

If it is that you are expected to talk small talk with friends or in other areas of your life that are more voluntary, then that is a different situation. It could be that those you talk to in such situations are not right for you if they make you talk the small talk too much. Interesting people like to talk of interesting things, likely.
    I hope I'm wrong, but I believe that he is a fraud, and I think despite all of his rhetoric about being a champion of the working class, it will turn out to be hollow -- Bernie Sanders on Trump

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

Strange weather today, isn't it?

Ginkgo

Well, if you cut off your tongue and roll around in a wheelchair, you'll have an excuse! Have you tried that yet?

ReflecTcelfeR

I actually find sport in shutting down small talk. Someone will say something like Giggly just did about the weather and just reply coldly "No." and move on. Only to my friends though, it'd be rude to anyone else, right?

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by ReflecttcelfeR View Post
    I actually find sport in shutting down small talk. Someone will say something like Giggly just did about the weather and just reply coldly "No." and move on. Only to my friends though, it'd be rude to anyone else, right?
    You do not move on.
    Only the weather moves on.
    If you move on with the weather you do not move.
    The weather moves you.

ReflecTcelfeR

In truth, I hope someday this makes sense. It seems valuable. I'll think on it. Thank you.

MBTI
    INTP

In truth, I hope someday this makes sense. It seems valuable. I'll think on it. Thank you.
    It is all right.

Dying is an occupation of the living.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by NegativeZero View Post
    I was just thinking about making a thread about this not too long ago. The problem is that while you may be very intelligent, you are not likely to be talking about any of the subjects you're knowledgeable about in everyday conversation. This applies to a lot of INxx types, I imagine.
    To me, it matters less what someone is discussing than how they are discussing it. Are they stuck in the superficialities, or willing to dig deeper? If someone speaks about something I know little about, I try to use the opportunity to learn about it, or at least to kick around ideas I had never before considered. I usually do this by asking questions, but people expecting a top-level discussion aren't prepared for this.

Really? I am usually willing to shut down smalltalk, not for sport, but just to spare myself the experience. I find it rude, or at least pointless, to speak when I have nothing to say, or to shower someone with words having no real content, just for the sake of it.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

ReflecTcelfeR

I am usually just joking. I mention that after my first reaction. It's actually a pretty good ice breaker really. I usually feel the same way. Talking for the sake of talking feels stupid.