User Tag List

First 3456 Last

ReflecTcelfeR

I've started to say things without thinking just recently and I seem to enjoy it more. It takes the panic out of speaking to other people; most of what I say usually ends up being slightly sardonic in nature, but it's all in good fun!

MBTI
    Aeon
    Enneagram
    10w so
    Socionics
    LOL

Quote Originally Posted by jenocyde View Post
    My problem comes with "big talk". I make one little comment and my INTP corners me for a half hour, not noticing that I'm gnawing my own foot off just to get away.
    Have you ever tried just saying so?

ReflecTcelfeR

Also.

I think a big problem is trying to sound smart, or feeling like you are expected to sound smarter than others. It is their delusion not yours that you're crushing by simply saying what you are thinking. It is really up to them to accept it; you can't always be "on" even if you think you are and you will slip and if they can't respect that fact then... Well, I guess it's their loss, huh?

MBTI
    INFP

Struggling with the same problem at the moment.

But I found that I enjoy people's reaction to me starting the conversation (no matter how i sound) - happiness and relief . Especially with freshly met people. It also greases the wheels for me sometimes and gets rid of the feeling of sitting in a box.

Saying all that, small talk can't replace the real connections for me. It can lead to it. But if there is no going deeper after a longer conversation or talking from time to time it's just going to stay there :-/.

On the other hand there are certain environments where you can't go beyond the small talk - other topics may be dangerous.
    Hot-hearted head

half mystic, half skeksis jenocyde's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTp

Quote Originally Posted by Architectonic View Post
    Have you ever tried just saying so?
    Of course!
    But when people live together you can't expect them to be constantly aware 24 hrs a day, and I certainly don't want to nag. Sometimes you just have to grin and bear it, and take one for the team. He certainly puts up with all of *my* bullshit.

I'm not so patient with other people though.

MBTI
    Aeon
    Enneagram
    10w so
    Socionics
    LOL

If it comes across as nagging then you're doing it wrong.

half mystic, half skeksis jenocyde's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTp

Quote Originally Posted by Architectonic View Post
    If it comes across as nagging then you're doing it wrong.
    If it comes across as unsolicited and useless advice, you're doing it wrong.

I hate small talk, it makes me want to stab myself with a fork. Especially the kind of small talk that never seems to go anywhere, 6 months later you still don't know anything about the other person apart from that they spent their weekend at their in-laws. What's the long-term point of that kind of interaction?

Also especially in England it's the polite thing to do to small-talk, you can sense that the other person doesn't care what you have to say but is just asking you a question to be polite. I find that in a group with a lot of small-talk I feel alone even if I am surrounded by people, I understand that you have to start a conversation somewhere but it never seems to build up to a proper connection where you feel like you are genuinely communicating with another human being.

So I can't give any advice on how to small-talk, just that I try to stay far away from it.

MBTI
    INxP
    Enneagram
    5w4

I was just thinking about making a thread about this not too long ago. The problem is that while you may be very intelligent, you are not likely to be talking about any of the subjects you're knowledgeable about in everyday conversation. This applies to a lot of INxx types, I imagine.
    MBTI: INxP
    Enneagram: 5w4
    Multiple Intelligence: Linguistic/verbal, intrapersonal.

lab rat extraordinaire CrystalViolet's Avatar
    MBTI
    XNFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

^Yes, that's a huge problem of mine. Not that I'm very intelligent. People just aren't interested in the same things as I am. I find it hard to even find a point of common interest at the moment.
    Currently submerged under an avalanche of books and paper work. I may come back up for air from time to time.
    Real life awaits and she is a demanding mistress.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]