User Tag List

First 2345 Last

As a thought, how about addressing the human/emotional element first, then business next?

Jenocyde and entropie, when an ENTP has their back up, what would work to get it to come down?

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

If he's as stubborn as I am only a prayer to god would help.

He'd need time to think about the situation, but the thinking has to start first before he can think about it. If he's angry he will not think, if he becomes defensive he wont think aswell. He needs to be left alone, isolated, he needs to be exposed to a situation that makes him feel very bad, like his borther not calling him no more and avoiding him. But even when that happens its unsure when the thinking starts
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

I have addressed him on his 'unhealthy' lifestyle plenty of times. For example, he doesn't eat breakfast or lunch and regurarly the first thing he eats is dinner. And when he is being cranky I tell him "Dude, just get a sandwhich or something." and he's like "Nah, it's not the food, I'm not hungry anyway.", I've even brough him sandwhiches at times, and although he'd eat them he would almost immidiately feel the need to discourage me from thinking that would lighten up his day by saying something snarky, whatever suit yourself. And plenty of other habits I confronted him about. Drinking coffee with 6 cubes of sugar for example. His explanation, it's to cover for the fact he didn't eat breakfast. Etc. :P

Well, I'm not his girlfriend so I won't bring him food every day, so whatever. I just pretty much always tell him to suit himself.

But it's easy to confront him on other things than business. Because I don't feel the pressure of him blowing up about it. But when it comes to business, that's something he would definately feel the need to protect. But his emotional state is definately something I could probe. Still, I don't really know an effective way to do so, I never got him to eat breakfast on his own account for example, so no success there.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

Thanks entropie. Based on entropie's response, jenocyde's solutions fit well.

half mystic, half skeksis jenocyde's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTp

Quote Originally Posted by Jenaphor View Post
    As a thought, how about addressing the human/emotional element first, then business next?

Jenocyde and entropie, when an ENTP has their back up, what would work to get it to come down?
    Quote Originally Posted by entropie View Post
    If he's as stubborn as I am only a prayer to god would help.

He'd need time to think about the situation, but the thinking has to start first before he can think about it. If he's angry he will not think, if he becomes defensive he wont think aswell. He needs to be left alone, isolated, he needs to be exposed to a situation that makes him feel very bad, like his borther not calling him no more and avoiding him. But even when that happens its unsure when the thinking starts
    This.

Like I said, walk away and let him see for himself how much it sucks. When I'm annoyed with someone, it's like listening to all the adults on the Charlie Brown comics "blah blah blah". I need to see it and explore it for myself. Ne is busy collecting data and being all paranoid, but we need to be alone to process it and let Ti work its magic. If I'm really stubborn, I will see it as you telling me what to do and this is never a good thing.

A close sibling not speaking to me anymore over some bullshit like business is very very damaging and will put things way into perspective. It will make me feel petty which is not a good look for me.

RDF

I was a boss of a cantankerous ENTP for many years. He was a handful. But if I had a strong case and held my ground, the ENTP would yield. Now, of course, I was the boss in that situation; and Fluffy has the additional burden of sibling rivalry going on in the background. Still, in my experience ENTPs are flexible enough that they don’t mind giving someone else the point if it’s clearly warranted. That’s one area where I really respected that guy--if my argument genuinely had merit, then he acknowledged and respected the merits of the points I made. He didn’t insist on being right solely for the sake of winning.

Fluffy seems to think that the argument to be made is fairly clear and self-evident. So as I see it, it’s mostly just a question of presenting the argument. Stand firm and insist on the merits of your side.

Don’t try to butter up the ENTP with a lot of deference and compliments ahead of time. That’s one thing I learned from my experience with that fellow. He hated that. Better to be direct and go straight at the subject.

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

Okay then. Ignoring, not confronting. Leave him to his own devices. I can do that and it is unlikely to incite any unneccesary drama to the business aspect of things.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTp

Ok, to be clear - bring it up, don't just ignore... bring it up and if you are met with resistance, drop it and walk away. If you don't explicitly say something, he'll think the whole problem is with you.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTp

Quote Originally Posted by FineLine View Post

Don’t try to butter up the ENTP with a lot of deference and compliments ahead of time. That’s one thing I learned from my experience with that fellow. He hated that. Better to be direct and go straight at the subject.
    Oooh, yes - you are very perceptive.

RDF

Yeah, I agree. Bring it up, make a strong case; then if you meet resistance, drop it for the time being and let him mull it over. Let his "P" go to work on it for a bit.