• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTP] people who had depression

think2much

MBTI Type
intp
People who had major depression does it ever get better? I been depressed for so long but last couple weeks took it to next level. I was planning on committing suicide; That was almost 3weeks ago and my depression haven't improved. If I ever fall like that again I don't know if I have the strength to stop myself. Some people told me that depression is something that always stick with them. I try my best not to post since it's negative and annoying but I would like some feedback; sorry.

Don't ask me why I'm depressed, or tell me to get help/see therapies.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yes, it gets better, depending on (1) treatment by a professional to provide access to meds and trigger changes in behavior/thinking, and/or (2) making changes in how you view and respond to life so that if your depression is situational, your situation is modified.

That's what changed my lifelong depression.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
Don't ask me why I'm depressed

do you know it yourself?

you know depression is an symptom and if you know what is the symptom coming from from, you cant heal it properly. ofc there are drugs for depression, but they only treat the symptoms, not the cause of the symptoms

but yea, it wont last forever, the feeling that the state is permanent is one of the symptoms of depression, or more like sub symptom of depression

KDude

I've had it for a long time. I started getting treated in my late teens (went off in my mid 20s.. then started up recently). If I was to believe some psychiatrists (and I'm kind of inclined to), I was already "self-medicating" before that (i.e. drug abuse.. especially the particular kind I was involved in).

Does it get better? Chemically, yes. Circumstantially, not exactly.. not everything is in my power. Things can and will discourage me, and I still experience loss. I suppose treatment helps from despairing and sinking too far into an abyss though.

What also helps is that the closer I come to realize what is and what isn't in my power, I get realizations that help me experience even higher forms of happiness... they help move on, and make new steps. If you don't seek treatment, at the very least, devote yourself to this. Being mindful of what you can control. It might help. Learn to face some shit, seek out your strengths, and don't bang your head in a wall, obsessing over problems that you might not be able to fix (and I'm not trying to sound like an authority on any of this btw.. I'm working on it all myself).

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Depression is as complex as it can be. Every depressed person is unique. Sometimes a depression can be cured if the person that is depressed has a few lifestyle changes that take off the overall pressure, others need very specific changes in attitude or just come to acceptance with certain aspects with themselves. No one here knows you and can be of much help apart from advising the obvious.

All depressions can potentially be cured in the right circumstances, and the eventual cure might even seem very easy and simple. But curing a depression is never easy, especially if every fiber in your body wants you to run away, like commit suicide or seek exclusion. After recognizing you are depressed, a good first step for every depression is understanding that running away from problems is never a 'real' solution, and a good second step is having or finding a friend you can confide in, that cares about you.

So to answer your question, yes depressions can be dealt with, and yes things can get better. How you reach that destination however is different per person and having professional help if you can't find that way by yourself is the logical choice of action.

But I'm not telling you to go seek help, because you don't want me to and I don't know you so I can only pretend to care, but I really don't.

Faine

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
I grew up with parents who were both clinically depressed for years, and in turn I was clinically depressed from age 12 to 16. I lost nearly all of my friends because of it, ruined my education, and I struggled to get over that in the years that followed. It wasn't a very healthy household. I regularly thought about suicide, and I was convinced the whole world was a terrible place without a good thing in it that wasn't somehow broken or damaged. I'm 20 now and I'd describe myself as a grounded optimist. I still have bad days but I know how to handle them more effectively. So yes, it really does get better. How though, is up to you.

Yes, it gets better, depending on (1) treatment by a professional to provide access to meds and trigger changes in behavior/thinking, and/or (2) making changes in how you view and respond to life so that if your depression is situational, your situation is modified.

That's what changed my lifelong depression.

Jennifer is very right. Changes in behaviour/thinking and changes to your individual circumstances can make a huge difference. A lot of my depression was situational but I couldn't escape it until my parents finally got a divorce. Even then though, I had to realise that the way I viewed everything and viewed myself was completely warped and damaging. I had to retrain my brain, but a lot of it came naturally as I gathered better experiences in life.

I don't know if any of that will help you. As Fluffywolf put it:
Depression is as complex as it can be. Every depressed person is unique.

In any case, the turning point for me, the point when I started getting better, was when I realised the only person who could save me was myself. So... save yourself. Do it for you. Do you want to be happy?

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I grew up with parents who were both clinically depressed for years, and in turn I was clinically depressed from age 12 to 16. I lost nearly all of my friends because of it, ruined my education, and I struggled to get over that in the years that followed. It wasn't a very healthy household. I regularly thought about suicide, and I was convinced the whole world was a terrible place without a good thing in it that wasn't somehow broken or damaged. I'm 20 now and I'd describe myself as a grounded optimist. I still have bad days but I know how to handle them more effectively. So yes, it really does get better. How though, is up to you.

The blue is a good point too. Curing depression doesn't necessarily mean making the feelings disappear completely but simply knowing better how to place those feelings in context, not letting them lead you to erroneous conclusions, doing what is best for yourself regardless of how you feel, etc.

Jennifer is very right. Changes in behaviour/thinking and changes to your individual circumstances can make a huge difference. A lot of my depression was situational but I couldn't escape it until my parents finally got a divorce. Even then though, I had to realise that the way I viewed everything and viewed myself was completely warped and damaging. I had to retrain my brain, but a lot of it came naturally as I gathered better experiences in life.

Totally. Reframe, reframe, reframe. Depression can be an emotional stance against a seemingly unfixable problem. But again, yes, even when the circumstances change, this usually just 'releases' you to be free of the depression; you still need to do the work necessary to reframe the world in your head. A lot of depression -> hopelessness -> powerlessness comes from a faulty reading of life situations and other people. I realized a lot of the coping skills i had developed to help me survive my parent's crappy marriage and my dad's boozing were actually detrimental in the big-picture, even if in the small immediate picture they had presented benefit.

In any case, the turning point for me, the point when I started getting better, was when I realised the only person who could save me was myself. So... save yourself. Do it for you. Do you want to be happy?

Another wonderful point in the blue.

Other people might help, but no one is able to "save" you. If you don't teach yourself to swim, you're eventually going to sink. In the end, there's only one life you can truly save, and that's yours; other people have power over their own lives.

guesswho

MBTI Type
ENTP
Do you want to know the truth?

Depression is like a shadow. It's in your back when you're walking down the street, but it always catches up with you, and it becomes one with you.

When it's in your back you think you've fooled it, but after a while you will notice that it always catches up with you, and even then you'll still have hope, even though there's no point for hoping for something that will never come. A fucking cure. (whatever that means)

jixmixfix

Permabanned
People who had major depression does it ever get better? I been depressed for so long but last couple weeks took it to next level. I was planning on committing suicide; That was almost 3weeks ago and my depression haven't improved. If I ever fall like that again I don't know if I have the strength to stop myself. Some people told me that depression is something that always stick with them. I try my best not to post since it's negative and annoying but I would like some feedback; sorry.

Don't ask me why I'm depressed, or tell me to get help/see therapies.

One thing I can tell you is never think that it will always stick with you, that's completely false trust me; it's all about how you go about dealing with your problems.

guesswho

MBTI Type
ENTP
tell me to get help/see therapies

You can't get better by yourself. It's unlikely.

One thing I can tell you is never think that it will always stick with you, that's completely false trust me.

Trust is not a reason.

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
I've been so depressed that the only time I was happy was when I was asleep or fucked up. If that counts.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I was depressed for a very very long time. I was diagnosed with dysthymia and I would spiral into very black moods on a regular basis. It's funny how when you dispair, it feels like it will be forever. My problem was situational, and I did some scary things to move forward in my life.. though I needed a bit of help to get me moving. I'm better. I get sad and down still, but it has a completely different quality to it than from before.

knight

MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Get High!

I remember being depressed it was pretty bad, I smoked pot and I saw what I needed to. for some reason, I could not make the connection or Identify what was making me depressed and I could not Identify best solution. It became clear to me after, My mind mellowed, the emotional pain lessened and the images flowed through my mind and what ever was missing was bridged. I don`t smoke hardly but the time I did, I felt something more spiritual, Id recommend it over beer anyday, also find someone close to get high with. having a close friend to bs with while you are high enhances the experience

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I've been so depressed that the only time I was happy was when I was asleep or fucked up. If that counts.

Typical strategies to deal with it, sometimes.

I can always tell when my daughter is depressed and/or mad without recourse (which leads to her being depressed): She goes to sleep.
(Since she's only 13, she's not allowed to dip into the tequila yet.)

Kuthtuk

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w3
I've had moderate depression for about 4 years now and i've been getting better since i've done treatment (through drugs and psichiatrist). As a NT i think this chart can help you (cause its been helping me allot):

Belief (your ultimate truths) => Thoughts (your mechanisms) => Feelings (your motivation or demotivation) => Action

Almost all actions we make are the result of compressed feelings, wich are in essence are the result of a chain of thought that was created by certain Beliefs we have.

I've found out that when we get depressed we have some messed up beliefs (I'm not good enough, This world is shit, my life is boring... such and such) notice that theese are not thoughts (possibilities) but believes (certanties) and unfortunatly you cant ignore or just erase a belief like we NTs do with thoughts...

So my sugestion to you is (did me wonders) since we can't "destroy" or ignore some wrong beliefs we have you must ... and here come the magic word.... QUESTION them! Questioning weakens them!

Yes! the only way you can get rid of theese thoughts you've been having is to question them! When you question something internal like a certain Bblief, you automaticly create possibility where there was only certanty. I used to have this "this life is boring, no fun, nothing" trait when my depression started to kicked in, and one thing i've learned was that as soon as something like that happens you must question it "why is my life boring? Am I throwing this out of proportion? Can I do anything about it?" and so on and so forth! Try It you'll see that you spend less time worrying about the thoughts that come to you.!

And cheers mate! The world is a gray place, but you've allways had the crayon box.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Are you getting enough sleep, eating right, and exercising? Exercise is a HUGE deal in dealing with depression, I've found, when I get outside especially and get some activity it improves my mood vastly. Also, do you have any friends or family to talk to? Physical and emotional health are important in dealing with depression, even if your depression is so bad that you need anti-depressants, that pill isn't going to turn your life around by itself, you have to take care of your body and mind in order to be healthy and feel right.

I take anti-depressants, and I've been on them now for a couple of years. Clinical depression runs in my family though and I think I have PTSD. HOWEVER, taking care of my physical and emotional health is crucial, and I recommend it to you as well as your first strategy before getting medication, and then if you do get medication, make sure to sleep/eat/exercise properly and interact with other people.

mumblebee

MBTI Type
ENFJ

Depression is like a shadow. It's in your back when you're walking down the street, but it always catches up with you, and it becomes one with you.

When it's in your back you think you've fooled it, but after a while you will notice that it always catches up with you, and even then you'll still have hope, even though there's no point for hoping for something that will never come. A fucking cure. (whatever that means)

Being someone who has had to combat anxiety and depression throughout my life, I have to disagree with the "Van Gogh" person here and actually question if its helpfull to give feedback on the subject if your clearly being stabbed, caught or becoming "one" with depression at the moment. Depression feels like utter hoplessness, helplessness and dispair yes, but thats the whole point isant it....afterall the endless feelings of darkness goes kind of hand in hand with depression....it's kind of it's face....hense the name depression. You wouldn't question your sore tonsils with tonsilitis the cause of the physical feelings are clear. When it moves from physical and becomes your mental and emotional state that is effected, then it gets harder to tell the clear thinking from the infected thinking.
I do agree with Jennifer when she said "Curing depression doesn't necessarily mean making the feelings disappear completely but simply knowing better how to place those feelings in context, not letting them lead you to erroneous conclusions, doing what is best for yourself regardless of how you feel, etc." I used to think, and I think a large part of society is lead to belive that medication will take everything away....and that is definaitly not true. I was in my mid 20's when someone said something that stuck with me....medication doesent take depression away, it just simmers the feelings of gloom down a bit so you are able to fight it better. I still get depression and anxiety sometimes, but now that I know it's face, I'm able to battle it more and do what I need to do to keep myself healthy and functional and not paralised. This includes recognising when my thought and feelings become unhealthy.
So my answer to the person with the origional post: you might have to battle depression all your life, but if the battle looks like a hairy, greasy, one pair of pants owning, ear picking, lifts-his-leg-to-fart-your-way-guy, who is sitting next to you at the DMV, or if it looks like world war 3 that lasting years with bloody carnige and dispair is up to you. There both unpleasent but one is only uncomfortably annoying that ends relitively soon, while the other is probably comparable to hell. YOU HAVE MORE POWER THAN YOU BELIEVE. So you yourself have asked on here how long it may last, and the answer is untill your ready to face it and help yourself by getting help....I know it's not what you wanted to hear but it's the only truth I know. Since you have said you might not have the strength to get up if you fall again, then maybe you should go before you fall.

think2much

MBTI Type
intp
Thanks you for amazing feedback. I have created the "list" of things I want to change and I hope I have the will power to change my mindset. I won't post anymore depressing or negative threads in this forum. I will update you guys if I have major improvement for those who wants to know. the feedbacks you left me means a lot. thank you

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx

depression isnt always like this

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I've had moderate depression for about 4 years now and i've been getting better since i've done treatment (through drugs and psichiatrist). As a NT i think this chart can help you (cause its been helping me allot):

Belief (your ultimate truths) => Thoughts (your mechanisms) => Feelings (your motivation or demotivation) => Action

Almost all actions we make are the result of compressed feelings, wich are in essence are the result of a chain of thought that was created by certain Beliefs we have.

I've found out that when we get depressed we have some messed up beliefs (I'm not good enough, This world is shit, my life is boring... such and such) notice that theese are not thoughts (possibilities) but believes (certanties) and unfortunatly you cant ignore or just erase a belief like we NTs do with thoughts...

So my sugestion to you is (did me wonders) since we can't "destroy" or ignore some wrong beliefs we have you must ... and here come the magic word.... QUESTION them! Questioning weakens them!

Yes! the only way you can get rid of theese thoughts you've been having is to question them! When you question something internal like a certain Bblief, you automaticly create possibility where there was only certanty. I used to have this "this life is boring, no fun, nothing" trait when my depression started to kicked in, and one thing i've learned was that as soon as something like that happens you must question it "why is my life boring? Am I throwing this out of proportion? Can I do anything about it?" and so on and so forth! Try It you'll see that you spend less time worrying about the thoughts that come to you.!

And cheers mate! The world is a gray place, but you've allways had the crayon box.

I agree with this, very much..
Always question the perspective.

Also, rule out physical issues first. Treat your body the way a human body should be treated.
Then, look at your circumstances.
Then, your thought patterns.

Sometimes it helps me to to just walk away from it. Bring yourself to do something unusual or out of the ordinary. Something very sensory to take your mind off of it. You may find that you were in a downward cycle and thinking too much and wallowing and just needed to snap out of it.

My depression is usually something to do with, "what does it all mean?" Which is 1.) A pointless question. and 2.) Even more pointless if you have ever found any benefits of being alive. (Just being young and healthy and well fed and living in the United States is enough for me to stop asking that question.)

At the end of the day, we are only here less than 100 years, which is absolutely nothing. Don't shorten something already so short. I believe that depressed people may always have periods of depression, but there is always meaning and happiness to be found for everyone.