• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTP] people who had depression

V

violaine

People who had major depression does it ever get better? I been depressed for so long but last couple weeks took it to next level. I was planning on committing suicide; That was almost 3weeks ago and my depression haven't improved. If I ever fall like that again I don't know if I have the strength to stop myself. Some people told me that depression is something that always stick with them. I try my best not to post since it's negative and annoying but I would like some feedback; sorry.

Don't ask me why I'm depressed, or tell me to get help/see therapies.

*hug*

I do think it is helpful to identify the reasons someone is depressed in order to take a certain amount of the sting out of depression.

I had pretty severe depression a few years ago after losing someone close. I won't elaborate because I don't want to trigger bad feelings in anyone vulnerable, but I had very bad days. Once, on a good day, I promised myself that as bad as any pain got, I would never do anything to myself. It was like establishing a baseline for behavior. And those jagged feelings did soften over time and I'm very happy these days.

I was also in a relationship with someone for a few years who was diagnosed with severe clinical depression. He tried many things in terms of therapy and medication and the prognosis was always grim. He kind of had a turning point when we got away from medicalizing things and accepted that he was really effing depressed for damn good reasons. That is was a normal reaction and it was ok for him to feel how he did. And then he started to heal and now he doesn't suffer at all the way he used to.

In both instances, I noticed that having a healthy diet and decent rest and engaging in centering practices, like yoga and meditation, made a big difference. Even running and riding a bike helped. It may not cure things but it can make the bad days much less grim. Being more connected with nice people can really help too.

slowriot

He who laughs
Enneagram
5w4
you can have all the willpower you want, but if you lack understanding/knowledge for why you act the way you do, you will go nowhere.

Why use all your willpower on trying to open a closed gate if you can find a backdoor thats easier to open?

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
yes, i got to the point where i couldn't see it someone forced me into the hospital best thing to ever happen to me. but yes it does get better might not seem like it.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
lol are you kidding? Sleep deprivation always made me worse :laugh:

im not the one who wrote the book, so no im not kidding, and i sure hope that james kalat wasnt kidding when writing the book we use on our neuropsychology course..

but like the text says its in most cases, most means high percentage of people, but not all

guesswho

MBTI Type
ENTP
2moxhcw.jpg

They didn't say anything about serotonin. Why?

From what I know and has worked for me, sleeping at night and going out on a sunny day and exercising helps.

Seymour

Vaguely Precise
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
2moxhcw.jpg

They didn't say anything about serotonin. Why?

From what I know and has worked for me, sleeping at night and going out on a sunny day and exercising helps.

It's a often very short term effect. From wikipedia:

wikipedia said:
Recent studies show sleep deprivation has some potential in the treatment of depression. About 60% of patients, when sleep-deprived, show immediate recovery, with most relapsing the following night. The effect has been shown to link to increases in brain-derived neurotrophic factor (BDNF).[61] It has been shown that chronotype is related to the effect of sleep deprivation on mood in normal people; those with morningness circadian preference show an increase in depression-dejection scores while those with eveningness preference show a significant decrease.[62]

I hadn't heard about it being related to being a "night person" or "morning person" before, though.

guesswho

MBTI Type
ENTP
Hmm...I think it worked for me too. Till I started drinking caffeine.