• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] Could an INTP be confused with an ISTP?

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
yea i thought so too

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yes. I was semi sure my ex gf was an INTP but I think she could be also an ISTP.
It's hard to tell, she does a lot of learning for the sake of learning in areas ranging from economics to psychology, but she is so much into sports, and she is great at it, to the point that it seems uncharacteristic for an INTP.

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
Easily, especially if they're Ti-heavy. A lot of this has to do with the fact that Se is poorly understood as an auxiliary function as it's typically assumed that Se anywhere in the top two=hedonistic adrenaline junkie, in descriptions and in tests. When trying to determine ISTP vs INTP, look at things like interaction style and tertiary temptations for additional help, because an ISTP with TiNi highly expressed will typically test as INTP a majority of the time and identify a lot with the description. Notable badass INTP turned ISTPs are PTgatsby and Orangey. I'll probably be next.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
Yes. I was semi sure my ex gf was an INTP but I think she could be also an ISTP.
It's hard to tell, she does a lot of learning for the sake of learning in areas ranging from economics to psychology, but she is so much into sports, and she is great at it, to the point that it seems uncharacteristic for an INTP.

looking at this sort of stuff tells you next to nothing about someones type. when you look at INTP vs ISTP, you need to look at things like abstract thinking and attention to details etc

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
looking at this sort of stuff tells you next to nothing about someones type. when you look at INTP vs ISTP, you need to look at things like abstract thinking and attention to details etc

I didn't know much about the functions back then so my my analysis ended up influenced by the stereotypes. The dominant Ti was clear, but what I thought was Ne could perhaps be a developed Ni. Whatever.

rav3n

Based on our interaction in the masculine and feminine discussion, you Si/Fe pretty high to me. Have you considered ISFJ?

esidebill

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Based on our interaction in the masculine and feminine discussion, you Si/Fe pretty high to me. Have you considered ISFJ?

I've certainly considered the idea of being an IxFJ, but it's a hard thing to say.

I had a post earlier discussing whether or not I could be seen as some type of IxFJ.

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
INTP - Top down.
ISTP - Bottom up.

Depends upon when you come to interpret rules does it feel more natural to start with what you would consider the rules as a whole have as an intent or what the rules actually say individually?

Definitely possible to confuse the two though. My ISTP friend mirrors me quite a bit... or I mirror him...not sure who started that one. Anyway in general he's more specific than I and locates his thinking on specific instances where as I locate on trends. We tend to cross where I note specific abnormalities in patterns I've observed or when he's doing complex thinking where his original case examples aren't obvious until after the subsequent four hour argument.

freeeekyyy

Cheeseburgers
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Speaking as an outsider, the two can appear very similar. Both tend to be highly logical. Both usually have a fairly laid back attitude. Both seem to enjoy debate. I think interests tell more than attitudes. INTPs seem more likely to have an interest in pure science and theory, while ISTP are much more concerned with application and real-world value. They are not necessarily unable to theorize as some people assume, but they do seem to be less likely to do so for its own sake. INTPs are often described as "the thinkers," and ISTPs as "the mechanics." These seem to be very accurate ways of describing their outlook as types. INTPs philosophize; ISTPs apply that knowledge to real-world problems.

jixmixfix

Permabanned
Speaking as an outsider, the two can appear very similar. Both tend to be highly logical. Both usually have a fairly laid back attitude. Both seem to enjoy debate. I think interests tell more than attitudes. INTPs seem more likely to have an interest in pure science and theory, while ISTP are much more concerned with application and real-world value. They are not necessarily unable to theorize as some people assume, but they do seem to be less likely to do so for its own sake. INTPs are often described as "the thinkers," and ISTPs as "the mechanics." These seem to be very accurate ways of describing their outlook as types. INTPs philosophize; ISTPs apply that knowledge to real-world problems.

I thought I used to be INTP, I even tested as INTP. I was very much into theory and philosophy as a teenager and young adult. Then I realized as soon as I couldn't apply that theory to real life I got bored with it. I guess that is the difference, ISTPs at least the ones I know, are good with thoery the problem is we get bored of it and prefer to be in the action of things.

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
OMG this happens to me ALL THE TIME! Lol you is ISTP in TiNi loop WTF get Ni and Ne distinctions right people or you should not even be allowed to talk here!