• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] I don't quite understand the reasoning for the MBTI Typology...

Jcbfehr1

MBTI Type
entp
Why did I join this website? Idk...

Just curious ; If anyone doesn't mind me asking why are you interested in the MBTI? Why confine yourself to someone else's defintion of "who you are". To me it all just seems like a way to confine and restrict your identity. That's just the way I see it,
I would love to hear what you think!

Post away!!

And yes I have never done this before..

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Don't want to restrict yourself to putting any credit in MBTI? Your god given right. In order to prevent confining yourself to a definition of "who you are"? You're doing a good job at that yourself, aren't you?

It's not about confining or restricting at all. It's about showing your strengths and weakness and learning to deal with both. It's about expanding your identity.

Not seeking out for answers, however categorial and meaningless they may seem at first glance, will definately cramp your style though. That is a fact.

MBTI is not perfect, it doesn't say it is perfect, it doesn't aim to be perfect. But it helps optimizing a lot of aspects of yourself.

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
To understand me and other people better, to better recognize potential flaws and potential benefits in myself, to better recognize which traits would make girls more compatible with me, to understand why some very intelligent people sometimes don't make logic, to accept people that are different from myself, etc.
Welcome. :cheese:

guesswho

MBTI Type
ENTP

Just curious ; If anyone doesn't mind me asking why are you interested in the MBTI? Why confine yourself to someone else's defintion of "who you are". To me it all just seems like a way to confine and restrict your identity. That's just the way I see it,

Post away!!

:solidarity:

onemoretime

Dreaming the life
MBTI Type
3h50

Post away!!

Same reason I learned Spanish - so I can speak to people from Spanish-speaking countries.

:)

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Hello!

I guess the question is, why did you put ENTP in your type field?

funkadelik

good hair
MBTI Type
lmao
Same reason I learned Spanish - so I can speak to people from Spanish-speaking countries.

:)

This is the best reason I've given myself.

It's like stamp collecting or cataloging (ie. it's a hobby), except the other people who share my hobby seem vastly more interesting and diverse than what you find with other things.

As is stands, I can't find many really good reasons for MBTI either, but neither can I for stamp collecting. :shrug:

Jcbfehr1

MBTI Type
entp
Thanks to everyone who posted!!

I just don't find it very useful in daily life. Im certaintly not saying that it's not, just probably not for me.
I think everyone is ruled by their own goals,interests,motivations and MBTI just doesn't "fit" for mine.
I believe you have to follow your own reasoning above all else(not because it's better, but because of the reasons I stated above) and this seems to me the only logical way to continue on my journey. (Not sure why I am posting this, I probably just feel like communicating what I think..must be the E in me. haha)

I wish everyone the best! Thanks again.
Man I got really sappy. maybe I'm a feeling type? or maybe I just don't understand MBTI. As you can see my interest for MBTI is still high and will probably become my new "obsession". No worries though, being an ENTP, I know it won't last long!

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
^ i agree with all you have said, but i have found it honestly useful in communicating with my INTP dad and ENFJ friend - strategies that i would probably not have learned for a very long time otherwise. my dad, for instance - i can't listen to his emotional tone to find his meaning. with me, my emotional tone often means more than my exact words. and with my ENFJ friend, FJs can get offended over things that are not even on my radar. (and vice versa, of course). so i find that it is useful in that light.

but by no means is categorization the answer to life.

also - MBTI is supposed to describe only cognition patterns - not interests, motivations, or behavior - though there are often correlations. anyone who uses it dogmatically is not to be trusted in my books.

guesswho

MBTI Type
ENTP
Thanks to everyone who posted!!

I just don't find it very useful in daily life. Im certaintly not saying that it's not, just probably not for me.
I think everyone is ruled by their own goals,interests,motivations and MBTI just doesn't "fit" for mine.
I believe you have to follow your own reasoning above all else(not because it's better, but because of the reasons I stated above) and this seems to me the only logical way to continue on my journey. (Not sure why I am posting this, I probably just feel like communicating what I think..must be the E in me. haha)

I wish everyone the best! Thanks again.
Man I got really sappy. maybe I'm a feeling type? or maybe I just don't understand MBTI. As you can see my interest for MBTI is still high and will probably become my new "obsession". No worries though, being an ENTP, I know it won't last long!

You should check out how the way we use our brain hemispheres models our personality.

It's quite interesting.

In the end it's nature + nurture.