User Tag List

First 234

Thread: NT Musicians

Permabanned

Could someone explain what they mean by "playing an instrument"?

I play the piano. However, I can't even play twinkle twinkle little stars. Why? I've never had the patience to actually sit down and learn all the notes for it...I can barely tell you where middle C is...and I'm a noob when it comes to all the scales.

Having said that...I've wasted days in front of the piano and I have written a couple songs that I think (regardless of how good/bad they are) are extremely representative of my time in front of the piano (and the noise thats going on in my head). I have been told that the one song I played for someone else (a music major) was "good". (and apparently was based on some sort or triad chord or something...i don't know...)

So when people ask me...do I play an instrument...the answer is...i'm not sure. I don't play it the way you most likely think of playing it.

I wanna play the pianoooooooooooo.
    go on to craigslist, find a free piano, and start playing then. if you want to read music then learn how to do it online. teachers aren't necessary.

oh..and
    the whole reading music thing is way to complicated imo. im this close to setting aside a weekend and developing a system of reading and recording music that makes sense to me.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INTp

Quote Originally Posted by Mkenya View Post
    oh..and
    the whole reading music thing is way to complicated imo. im this close to setting aside a weekend and developing a system of reading and recording music that makes sense to me.
    The music note system is really clever and intuitive. I like it. Honestly, I would have trouble inventing a system that is more compact and clear than the current system. Music is a complicated thing to get exactly the right articulation, notes, rhythms, and style all written down on paper.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    INT-

@Mkenya
    If you're asking if music theory and the ability to read sheet music are prerequisites to "playing an instrument", I would say no.
    They don't hurt though, and there's not any hugely compelling reason not to pursue them both, if you're interested in music to any capacity.

Personally, I can read sheet music (slowly), but I've seldom put it to use in my playing or writing.
    General theory (scales & modes, chordal harmony, understanding of interval relationships, rhythmic structure, etc...), on the other hand, I've both enjoyed studying and have found useful in my pursuits.

*edit*
    Oh, and I play guitar, bass guitar, and sort of (but not really) piano/keyboard. Always been interested in expanding to drums, but kits are insanely loud and expensive.
    I write/compose stuff in various genres and stylings, and occasionally work up the energy to record.
    INTP 4w5 SX/SP
    Tritype 4/5/8