First 1234 Last

Thread: NT Musicians

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INTp

Quote Originally Posted by esidebill View Post
    Pizzicato is awesome anyway. Example of the greatest pizzicato ever at about 2:51:
    Try listening to Andrew Bird. That guy reinvented pizzicato.

Also, I play ukulele (6 months self taught), piano (5 years self taught), alto sax (7 years school taught), a little guitar (1 year self taught), and I sing (2 years school taught). Ukulele is surprisingly the one I'm best at. That's probably just because it's so easy to learn and play.

i like pizzicato five
    every normal man must be tempted, at times,
    to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag,
    and begin slitting throats.
    h.l. mencken

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Hmm. I enjoy the synth as well, but I could never get into playing piano as a main instrument. What do you mainly design? I'd consider musicians and artists similar in some respects.
    What I've done so far(for my class projects) is design logos, movie posters, CD covers, book covers, and my favorite, I made decade logos from the '50s to the 2010s. I've already had my guitar for like 5 years but haven't gotten to learning how to play sufficiently yet.
    Reserved Calm Unstructured Egocentric Inquisitive Clown

Johari Nohari

Quote Originally Posted by Xyk View Post
    Ukulele is surprisingly the one I'm best at. That's probably just because it's so easy to learn and play.
    Yeah ukulele!

It is pretty easy to learn and play but ohsosatisfying.

MBTI
    ENTP

I wanna play the pianoooooooooooo.

Fuck it's so expensive here. I mean it's about 100$ a month...and you go a few hours. And it's mostly for kids.

They're killing the music with this. What a bunch of pricks. I'm sure there are many people like me who would enjoy playing a musical instrument...but can't.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I'm actually very musical. My father taught band and still directs community bands, and both of my parents played french horn in high school.

I started piano when I was five and was accompanying choir and playing in jazz band and playing at churches by seventh grade, and composing by high school. In high school, I played piano for the show choir. (It was no Glee, but it was still fun.) Music groups and performance continued through my college years. I ended up putting together and running a worship band for my church for ten years or so as an adult, along with more composition, and also did recording on my computer and keyboard.

While I was in school, I also played clarinet and oboe, made district band twice, made regional choir, and took pipe organ lessons to the point where I would play pipe organ for some Sunday services. I sight-read and ad lib extremely well (I prefer the latter, since I like listening to what is happening and then contributing in ways that accentuate it, rather than just playing what is on a page).

All three of my children are musical. Two play the piano, one plays the guitar, two sing in choir, and two play the cello.

Quote Originally Posted by guesswho View Post
    I wanna play the pianoooooooooooo.

Fuck it's so expensive here. I mean it's about 100$ a month...and you go a few hours. And it's mostly for kids.

They're killing the music with this. What a bunch of pricks. I'm sure there are many people like me who would enjoy playing a musical instrument...but can't.
    I can't vouch for the costs and whether they are worthwhile, I just think you should calculate costs and income on the side of the piano teacher and see if it's equitable in terms of making an actual living. I don't think any of them can live off it, unless they're extremely well-known.

Sounds like you have four lessons a month for $25 each. How long are the lessons?
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Anew Leaf

Anyone play an instrument? I'm curious to see how many do.
    My INTP friend is an amazing musician! He plays several instruments (including the penny whistle!) and does a lot of composing. He's very much into math and how it works with music.

I have an ENTJ friend who plays jazz flute.... *coughs* I accidentaly got trapped into laughing about it while watching Anchorman with the ENTJ....

"Hey Saturned, what do you think of this scene?" says an ENTP friend.
    "What the heck is a jazz flute? That looks STUPID!" I say innocently.
    "WHAT?!!?!?! I PLAY THE JAZZ FLUTE!!! YOU HAZ NO TASTE!!" Yelled the irate ENTJ.
    "Eep!" Me
    "hahahahahah" the 3 ENTPs and 2 INTPs I was watching the movie with as well.

I still think when he looks at me he is thinking, "This is a girl who doesn't appreciate the finer things in life. This is a girl to get rid of when I conquer the world."

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ????

HAHAHA you have no idea how funny I found that post. I have a few friends who play jazz flute
    Excuse me, but does this smell like chloroform to you?

Always reserve the right to become smarter at a future point in time, for only a fool limits themselves to all they knew in the past. -Alex

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    IEI

My INTJ ex played bass and was also learning guitar. As a child he used to play the trumpet, if I recall correctly.
    I don't know much about music, but he seemed to have a natural talent for it and was very into the different sounds and effects he could create. It was mostly jibberish to me (the only instrument I could play is the triangle) but it was definitely his primary hobby/interest outside of his art and design. He had a very NT approach to it, a very calculated way focused on tools and technique.
    Last edited by Faine; 06-03-2011 at 04:43 PM.
    INFJ 9w1.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5/4

I'm new, but music is the only thing that keeps me sane. When I'm making music, my head stops spinning.

I've played sax, piano, and other things, but now it's mainly guitar and synths/keys.