User Tag List

12 Last

Default Relating to People

Throwing this into the NT private forum since it's private from the public and also, looking for NT style input.

What does relating to people mean?

I find myself capable of aligning or sympathising with people but most often, it's associated to specific issues, not the holistic concept of the person, as in the manner in which we think and feel.

Do other NTs feel the same way and why or why not?

Thanks.

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I relate best to people whose thinking patterns and emotional responses in a given situation are similar to my own.
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne

Quote Originally Posted by SuchIrony View Post
    I relate best to people whose thinking patterns and emotional responses in a given situation are similar to my own.
    But what does this mean? Can you plse be more explicit?

As Long As It Takes.... Redbone's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

<<What does relating to people mean? >>

Sorry about the quote style...can't get the quote thingy to work...

I'm not really sure about what it means to 'relate to people'.

<<I find myself capable of aligning or sympathising with people but most often, it's associated to specific issues, not the holistic concept of the person, as in the manner in which we think and feel.

Do other NTs feel the same way and why or why not?>>

Same here.

I can find myself relating to certain issues but usually not the person. I can listen, nod, and say 'mmhmm' or even agree but it usually doesn't get any further than that. I think it must have something to do with my desire for detachment.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Te

I don't know what it means other than what you described. Sympathy, empathy, caring for another, that's relating. That's deep, important connection. If there's some other meaning to the phrase, I have no clue what it is.

It maybe has to do with understanding their reasoning? I don't know...
    You lose.

_______

RCOEI
    Melancholic-Choleric
    Respectful Leader

Johari Window|Nohari Window

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

I can relate to people in specific circumstances, or concerning specific topics. This means I identify with their perspective or experience. For example, I have a friend from India who once described to me how she had given up on the religion she was brought up in. As she was explaining the how, when, and why of all this, I realized that my own experience was quite similar. Despite the significant differences in our upbringing and culture, the fact that we were raised in much different religions on opposite sides of the earth, we had reached very similar conclusions about organized religion and religious practice, for similar reasons.

I can also relate to the basic nature of a person, at least in part, when I find I am on the same wavelength as they are in thinking about issues and communicating thoughts. This manifests itself not as agreement on the content of a topic, but rather in the efficiency and clarity with which we exchange ideas. We understand each other the first time, and can leap from thought to thought without having to backtrack to fill in all the blanks. Essentially a miniscule bit-error rate, or huge signal/noise ratio.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    I can relate to people in specific circumstances, or concerning specific topics. This means I identify with their perspective or experience. For example, I have a friend from India who once described to me how she had given up on the religion she was brought up in. As she was explaining the how, when, and why of all this, I realized that my own experience was quite similar. Despite the significant differences in our upbringing and culture, the fact that we were raised in much different religions on opposite sides of the earth, we had reached very similar conclusions about organized religion and religious practice, for similar reasons.

I can also relate to the basic nature of a person, at least in part, when I find I am on the same wavelength as they are in thinking about issues and communicating thoughts. This manifests itself not as agreement on the content of a topic, but rather in the efficiency and clarity with which we exchange ideas. We understand each other the first time, and can leap from thought to thought without having to backtrack to fill in all the blanks. Essentially a miniscule bit-error rate, or huge signal/noise ratio.
    Basically this.

I will relate to another's thinking or approach to specific areas. I don't find myself relating very much on any other kind of level.

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

I find it easier to relate to non-human beings.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

half mystic, half skeksis jenocyde's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTp

Echoing the same thoughts as Coriolis and Jock. I can relate to similar experiences and thought patterns that mirror my own. By relate, I mean identify.
    I can rarely identify with or understand why people behave the way they do, if it's not almost identical to my own style.

I'll study it and analze it, but I rarely relate to it on a psychological level.

ReflecTcelfeR

I'll listen, take what they say and see similar situations that I have been in, but I can only really give advice on how to get past the emotion, or tell them how to get 'fix' it. Actually feeling, or understanding their feelings never really happens. I can pretend though, it's what most consider lying, but they don't have to know I am lying.