• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Ni] How do you use your Ni? (INTJ/ENTJ)

fragrance

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
More directed towards INTJ and ENTJ: In what kind of situations do you use your Ni? When did you last realize that you had just been using Introverted Intuition?

rav3n

It doesn't happen consciously. More manifests when it does and when it does, feels like you're in "the zone". Sometimes you can extend its conscious duration.

NiteSite

MBTI Type
INFJ
It doesn't happen consciously. More manifests when it does and when it does, feels like you're in "the zone". Sometimes you can extend its conscious duration.

That is an interesting way of putting it. I don't even notice that I'm "using" it, its the whole daydreaming about things. Using it consciously is like being super concentrated but at the same time supremely relaxed, aka "in the zone", but the littlest thing can knock it off course.

I don't really realize when I am using it, seeing as it is how my brain normally operates, its just that when I need to do something that requires a concentration, and need to change my mindset, I realize how much jumping around my mind does.

freeeekyyy

Cheeseburgers
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
When my mind seems like it's shut off, and I'm just concentrating, but not actively on any particular problem, that's when Ni is going. Like Jenaphor said, you're "in the zone."

INTPness

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Interesting that you guys don't really "know" that you're using it. I totally know when I'm in Ti mode. Because it's so vastly different than my Ne mode. Isn't their a huge difference between when you are in Ni mode vs. when you are in Te mode?

Also, do you ever "over use" Ni? You know how it's said that INTP's get stuck in Ti - do you ever "get stuck" in Ni and have to snap yourself out of it and say, "OK, enough is enough. I'm going to go outside now and do something else!" Is it like that?

fragrance

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
No you can't overuse Ne/Ni because they are irrational (or not within our grasp) whereas Ti/Te are rational. It happens that I say to myself "Okay that is enough planning" (for a specific project)..

Within

Permabanned
I don't use Ni. It uses me, and I don't even live in Soviet Russia... squee.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Constantly and without thinking about it.
Yes. I don't need to think about it to use it, as in turning it off and on, or consciously directing it to specific problems. More like I turn the totality of my attention to a problem, and the related Ni perceptions are just "there". As an example, a piece of equipment in my lab suddenly stopped working a couple weeks ago. The usual troubleshooting did not correct it, but I could tell by the symptoms that these troubleshooting steps should not be necessary and should not make a difference. Other experienced users told me there was nothing to be done, and I had probably just made things worse. I knew I wold stumble upon some simple if not obvious fix, though, and all would be well -- and that is exactly what happened.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Constantly and without thinking about it.
Yes. I do think about it, but more as an observer, to become more aware of how it works and what it does. I don't need to think about it to use it, as in turning it off and on, or consciously directing it to specific problems. More like I turn the totality of my attention to a problem, and the related Ni perceptions are just "there". As an example, a piece of equipment in my lab suddenly stopped working a couple weeks ago. The usual troubleshooting did not correct it, but I could tell by the symptoms that these troubleshooting steps should not be necessary and should not make a difference. Other experienced users told me there was nothing to be done, and I had probably just made things worse. I knew I wold stumble upon some simple if not obvious fix, though, and all would be well -- and that is exactly what happened.

fragrance

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
When I'm among my friends and I we have a round of witty bantering, I can often guess who will say what and in what tone.

But I think I mostly use it for planning purposes. When I arrange resources I always get these hunches that this or that will fail or is not enough, that this or that person will ruin the whole thing if I put him in that position etc.

RenaiReborn

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w2
My Ni tends to use me, frequently. It seems to be common. In any case, it becomes more apparent when dealing with people who I don't know as well. Perhaps it's a subconscious bias, wanting to believe what friends and family say, and take them at face value.

mrcockburn

Aquaria
MBTI Type
¥¤
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
if I'm an ENTJ, Ni is my secondary and my answer is relevant to this thread. If I'm an ESTP, this is inferior Ni.

For me, it's like an automatic compass - it's sort of the end vision that I'm working on consciously or subconsciously. It moves me forward effortlessly. It gives me purpose for all that I do, it gives me the way to apply my efforts.

It also gives me a really vivid imagination, I think. At any given time, I'll have some kind of imaginary plot in my mind, or some imaginary musical piece that I perpetually develop and complete. It makes dull elevator/waiting room moments fun. :D

Oh yes, lots of hunches as well. But I don't act on them unless I later find proof/data to support it.