User Tag List

123 Last

Default INTP - ENTJ conflict

After skimming through a couple of "descripe the other types" like threads on various forums i noticed it is sort of common for INTP's and ENTJ's showing mutual dislike of some sort. And after contemplating on my own experiences, of all the NT's ive met, ive had most problems with ENTJ's. Ten minutes on a dumb thread and having had two little arguments with one of the three NT's ive met in my life, ive collected enough information to see a distinct pattern here. Who needs tons of examples, trusting silly theories based on vague assumptions is fun.

Cant find a thread on the subject, so im just gonna make my own. I DID try to find one, i did excessive searching for.. well two minutes, but that was boring.

So ENTJ - INTP conflict. I see them as arrogant overcritical pricks, and they see me as an underachieving slacker interested in impractical stuff thats never gonna get me anywhere in life. What a nice starting point for a lasting friendship with unwavering mutual trust.

Okay the first problem ive had with ENTJ's. They want intelligent crap, thats okay, i like that too, but THEY WANT IT NOW. Hows my Ti gonna do that? INTP's need their own time to get to those "intelligent awesome ideas", that sounded weird, my ideas are just plain strange. ENTJ's however, more they talk, more they understand, and they expect the same from the INTP, damn quick Te. The "internal logical convo" i have with myself when i think of something takes time, thats Ti, but Te does that sort of instantly with outer stimuli, which makes me wanna cry when having a convo with an ENTJ.

And when im having a small confident ENTP wannabe moment, i can seem quick, but thats because of Ne. Im giggling like a girl, and then steps in the ENTJ and makes some really insightful Te filled remark, Ne goes "wat, wheres my fun, cannot see fun, no chocolaty giggles in that" and feeds the remark to Ti, which then might understand it, but the process makes INTP's (Well me) go quiet. AND IF the Ne state is maintained, ENTJ goes: "Cannot comprehend the complete dumbness of what i just heard, apply crush everything with Te robostate", and then again instant shut down for the INTP. To me it would seem ENTJ's expect efficiency in everything, efficient INTP? Umm, lol. Jokes too, jokes of NTJ's are intelligent, complex and insightful, whereas NTP's can do that too, but their jokes usually seem sort of silly or absurd most of the time. INTJ's ive met just tolerate even the dumb Ne stuff, but ENTJ's just need to get their own hyper intellectually critical version of that there.

But all of that was based on experiences with an ENTJ i dont really know that well, and im insecure around anyone i dont know. So i might just be describing ENTJ's effect on an already nervous INTP, and when im nervous i cannot talk, which then might be the actual problem i have around ENTJ's. INTP extroverting uses Ne, a shy INTP builds up courage to actually step up and say something, out comes the Ne thingy, and INTP confidence plunges down when the ENTJ gives a responce. There might be mutual respect, but ENTJ's, well what ive seen, DO NOT tolerate any kind of hesitation from people they might consider "intelligent" in some way.

Discussion of the INTP - ENTJ conflict, id like to hear ENTJ's version of this, if there even is a type related conflict.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    6w5

ENTJs can be tough customers - no sympathy expected, none given. I get along fine with "Executives" but I have had 20 years in the corporate world to get over my chocolaty giggles.

ESTJs are a different story...

We used to have an ENTJ VP who was a total ball buster of a guy (although I was quite devoted to him). Everyone was terrified of him except for this one INTP guy who is about 40. He is this adorable round bellied, balding chemist with big coke bottle glasses. The ENTJ would be up making a grand speech about taking over the universe in front of the entire department and the INTP was just pop out with some hysterical sarcastic ass comment.

At first everybody was horrified, like, dude, dont you know he will KILL you??? But after a bit it just became the norm and gave everybody the chance to snicker a bit, because he was always right about whatever the funny point was. The ENTJ would just say "You alway have one in every audiance..."

Quote Originally Posted by Orobas View Post
    We used to have an ENTJ VP who was a total ball buster of a guy (although I was quite devoted to him). Everyone was terrified of him except for this one INTP guy who is about 40. He is this adorable round bellied, balding chemist with big coke bottle glasses. The ENTJ would be up making a grand speech about taking over the universe in front of the entire department and the INTP was just pop out with some hysterical sarcastic ass comment.

At first everybody was horrified, like, dude, dont you know he will KILL you??? But after a bit it just became the norm and gave everybody the chance to snicker a bit, because he was always right about whatever the funny point was. The ENTJ would just say "You alway have one in every audiance..."
    I would not be suprised that this is probably a type 5 thing. Since I can clearly see myself doing something like that. (actually I did stuff like that some scary teachers) There is simply something that forces you to toy with the person everyone is afraid of. Plus braking of social codex is usually a fun all by itself.

If we think you're an idiot, we will treat you as such. If we respect your knowledge and intelligence, we can be patient since the end product will be worth the wait. Not sure how that differs from other types.

Of the three INTPs I've known in real life, we had a mutual respect for our strengths. They would force me to consider more and express myself more explicitly. They would love to tease me but that's okay, I would zing them right back. They also seemed to enjoy our double or triple entendre interactions and try to figure out the underlying meaning, although sometimes, they saw more into what was being expressed and would react negatively until intent was explained to them in a more explicit manner. When they would do that obsessive cycling over things that were trivial, they appreciated being drop kicked out of that cycle with a pinpointing of what was relevant. Can't say this always worked but of the times it did, it was appreciated.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    6w5

ENTJs can look like lame douchebags superficially(especially if you get to know them in a working environment), but once you get past that, you see that their way more funny & caring than you thought originally. But I have to admit I usually also have some issues with ExTJs.
    They say I only think in form of crunching numbers.....
    -Fall Out Boy

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Mephistopheles View Post
    ENTJs can look like lame douchebags superficially(especially if you get to know them in a working environment), but once you get past that, you see that their way more funny & caring than you thought originally. But I have to admit I usually also have some issues with ExTJs.
    My experience with ENTJs is either I love love love them...or find them overbearing, and yeah, kinda douchey. I figured out what it is - if you're on their side, if they like you, they can be downright effusive in their presentation, caring and funny, and taking care of people in "practical" ways rather than being overtly snuggly.

It sounds like you may have issues with ENTJs perhaps because of only knowing them either when they're indifferent to you (and therefore possibly objectifying you rather than seeing you as a human) or possibly are even competing with you.

Yes, I know I'm not INTP - I didn't even realize where I was posting until I already did it. I still think my input may have some validity to the topic.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by Jenaphor View Post
    When they would do that obsessive cycling over things that were trivial, they appreciated being drop kicked out of that cycle with a pinpointing of what was relevant. Can't say this always worked but of the times it did, it was appreciated.
    Yes, I do appreciate this. Sometimes they may come to me with something and I may not know where they're going with it and so my wheels will start spinning and then they will get right to the point and it sort of snaps me out of my pondering. *Back to reality*.

I really like ENTJ's, I really respect their work habits and productivity. What I don't get is that they're so intelligent, but they never want to just sit and have really good conversations (unless it's about how to "reach a goal" or "make a business deal" or some sort of "networking"). I really like picking their brains about topics, but they seem to have little tolerance for it. I have one friend who I will go over to his house and we'll get onto some topic, I'll ask questions and I'll challenge his answers (just basic "well, if this....then why that?"). About 5 or 10 minutes later, just when I'm starting to get into it and get to the good stuff, he'll go, "OK, you wanna watch a movie?" I wanna say, "No. I just wanna learn about this." He's not really interested for more than a few minutes.
    NTJ's are the only types that have ever made me feel emo.
    ENP's are the only types that have ever made me feel like a sensor.

There are two great days in a person's life - the day we are born and the day we discover why. --William Barclay

Glycerine

^ Pick up on their passions. Once you do that, they can talk your head off. Rants on idiocy are always amusing.

Quote Originally Posted by INTPness View Post
    Yes, I do appreciate this. Sometimes they may come to me with something and I may not know where they're going with it and so my wheels will start spinning and then they will get right to the point and it sort of snaps me out of my pondering. *Back to reality*.

I really like ENTJ's, I really respect their work habits and productivity. What I don't get is that they're so intelligent, but they never want to just sit and have really good conversations (unless it's about how to "reach a goal" or "make a business deal" or some sort of "networking"). I really like picking their brains about topics, but they seem to have little tolerance for it. I have one friend who I will go over to his house and we'll get onto some topic, I'll ask questions and I'll challenge his answers (just basic "well, if this....then why that?"). About 5 or 10 minutes later, just when I'm starting to get into it and get to the good stuff, he'll go, "OK, you wanna watch a movie?" I wanna say, "No. I just wanna learn about this." He's not really interested for more than a few minutes.
    Oh No, the INTP "proof" thing! *screams and runs away*

It really depends on what the subject is. If we're intensely interested in it, some of us are willing to drill down to the nth degree. Sometimes we refuse, since the answer seems obvious, not that it necessarily is but that it seems that way to us. Or if someone challenges us with what we consider to be irrelevant detail (bear in mind that this is from our perspective of relevancy), we can be dismissive. Or we're in an ADHD mood and get distracted. Or we're being intellectually lazy and just want to hang out and relax.

Using Ti for us can be quite draining, no matter how much we attempt to use it.

*waits for Jennifer to accuse me of speaking for all ENTJs*