• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTP] Authority

sirprufrock

MBTI Type
----
I have a question about INTP's and authority. I read, frequently, that INTP's tend to dismiss it, rebel against it, overturn it, and so on.

As a potential INTP, I've noticed that I have this pattern where I deeply desire some source of authority, to be in contact with some individual or institution that has everything figured out, and so I gravitate towards religion, or philosophers, or even other such social establishments as the military, but never affirm or become part of them because of realizing how imperfect, flawed, or irrational they are. Such fictive scenarios as Good VS Evil exemplified in books like LOTR or Star Wars are extremely appealing, but only because the author is basically a god and has conferred unequivocal "rightness" to one side over the other.

Can any INTP's relate, or do you all chafe at the notion of some absolutely correct being, institution, etc? We're assuming that the being IS right, as far as the system of the constructed world is concerned.

Of course, entirely hypothetical, unless you're religious, I guess?

Andy

Supreme High Commander
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
I have a question about INTP's and authority. I read, frequently, that INTP's tend to dismiss it, rebel against it, overturn it, and so on.

As a potential INTP, I've noticed that I have this pattern where I deeply desire some source of authority, to be in contact with some individual or institution that has everything figured out, and so I gravitate towards religion, or philosophers, or even other such social establishments as the military, but never affirm or become part of them because of realizing how imperfect, flawed, or irrational they are. Such fictive scenarios as Good VS Evil exemplified in books like LOTR or Star Wars are extremely appealing, but only because the author is basically a god and has conferred unequivocal "rightness" to one side over the other.

Can any INTP's relate, or do you all chafe at the notion of some absolutely correct being, institution, etc? We're assuming that the being IS right, as far as the system of the constructed world is concerned.

I'm not an INTP, but for what it's worth that does sound like an INTPs behaviour. Specifically, I'd associate it with a Ti-Si loop. Child Si has a tendancy to demand that every question has an answer, and if it is a neat, well packaged answer so much the better, because Ti will like it was well then. Of course, such things are rather hard to find, which can lead to a rather disatisfied difting between religions, philosophies and so on.

INTPness

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I've heard it mentioned on here somewhere that NTP's actually like (need) some structure, yet they want to be "outside" of the organization or at least on the fringes of it. While NTJ's on the other hand want to be integral parts of the organization (the pillars so to speak), but they like freedom, mobility and spotaneity within that organization.

NTP's dislike organizations and try very much to avoid them ------------------------> but a highly structured organization helps them to be grounded and more effective
NTJ's are fine with being a part of organizations --------------------------------------> but they want things to be loose and easy going within the organization (never at the expense of efficiency though).

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
''Good'' and ''bad'' are all a matter of perspective.
On moral matters, no one can point you a way that is intrinsically right.
Some people are able to pick one of the thousands existent religions, decide that they are the real deal, and live a very pleasant life. I can't. :shrug:

ThinkingAboutIt

MBTI Type
INTP

No, it is not my nature to rebel against authority. It is my nature to rebel against things, issues, etc. that I do not agree with. As a teen, I defied everyone and anyone - no discrimination in any way. You could not make me do anything I did not choose to do. As an adult, it is better. As a Christian, it is better still, but I still have a major battle in this area of life, even with God's authority. It DOES help when I respect someone - or if they turn out to be usually right, which in turn creates respect, but like I said, it is a major battle.

"to be in contact with some individual or institution that has everything figured out" ...humm, that might be the 'symptom' rather than the 'cause'. I would say that it is more that I do not like responsibility, accountability, or dealing with issues/problems, so having someone in authority or charge of things alleviates that problem for me.

I'm not an INTP, but for what it's worth that does sound like an INTPs behaviour. Specifically, I'd associate it with a Ti-Si loop. Child Si has a tendancy to demand that every question has an answer, and if it is a neat, well packaged answer so much the better, because Ti will like it was well then. Of course, such things are rather hard to find, which can lead to a rather disatisfied difting between religions, philosophies and so on.

If it is a neat, well packaged, CORRECT answer :)

I've heard it mentioned on here somewhere that NTP's actually like (need) some structure, yet they want to be "outside" of the organization or at least on the fringes of it. While NTJ's on the other hand want to be integral parts of the organization (the pillars so to speak), but they like freedom, mobility and spotaneity within that organization.

NTP's dislike organizations and try very much to avoid them ------------------------> but a highly structured organization helps them to be grounded and more effective
NTJ's are fine with being a part of organizations --------------------------------------> but they want things to be loose and easy going within the organization (never at the expense of efficiency though).

I don't want authority or responsibility, I want veto power.

I hate that word - effective. It is a nemesis. Internally, I wish I were more effective. I am actually happier when I do something productive. Yet. Doing so means I have to work, and usually hard. That's the part I hate most. It takes a lot to motivate me to work hard at something or give it my all. I mean, real hard. Partly, I am lazy. Or, everything bores me. Yet there is this undefinable issue that I can't seem to put my finger on that is the underlying cause.

As a side note, that George Saunders quote is about the dumbest thing I have ever read.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

As a potential INTP

I hope you included some of these ideas on your application, to help with the decision-making process.

Which branch did you apply to? Do you need a sponsor?

(Don't forget to learn the INTP theme song. It'll make your acceptance far more likely.)

To be honest, I think it's a less-developed response to just have reactions against authority. That seems like a teenager thing, where you're not feeling like you are yet independent, and you feel the need to assert yourself against the system and establish who you are. All types undergo that process to some degree. Although I think INTP can become bitter/jaded by seeing how stupidly the world seems to work sometimes, and wants to just announce a lack of solidarity with it.

But I think once the Self becomes established, equanimity becomes more dominant.

Authority is just authority, it is what it is. All I care about now is whether its claims make any sense. If an authority puts forth reasonable ideas and/or can justify its actions and existence, then I have no issue with it. If its thinking is irrational, then I don't want to be under it... but as long as it's not directly interfering with my life, I kind of just ignore the irrationalities.

I'm ruled by my mind, not by some need to always be in charge of everything.

InvisibleJim

Permabanned
NTPs will respect an authority which appeals to their individuality.
NTJs will respect an authority based on their competency.

Lark

I dont think that right and wrong are often associated with authority in the world as it is, even legitimate authorities are only as good as the individuals who constitute it and act in its stead.

The world is and always will be plagued by the twin evils of the managerial revolution and the peter principle, cant see any way around that, so in most instances the people assuming authority will be doing so because there's more money and less responsibility involved or so they believe, not because they have a strong vocation, wish to enact precious principles or do the right thing.

Although the degeneracy of a thing in fact does not invalidate it in principle, not entirely, its important that people stand for something because otherwise they'll fall for anything.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
NTPs will respect an authority which appeals to their individuality.
NTJs will respect an authority based on their competency.

I dunno if it's that cut and dried.

I have a natural inclination to ignore incompetent authority (or at least dismiss them internally), and I certainly am no J.

Andy

Supreme High Commander
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
If it is a neat, well packaged, CORRECT answer :)

Sorry, I thought I had impleid that, though I suppose conmen are good at puttng together answers that are neat, well packaged bullshit.

ThinkingAboutIt

MBTI Type
INTP
Sorry, I thought I had impleid that, though I suppose conmen are good at puttng together answers that are neat, well packaged bullshit.

Defined because I love convenience in all aspects of life dearly, just not when it comes at the price of truth or what is right, etc.

Xyk

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
I am certainly one of those INTPs who does not like authority. In fact, I will not follow any order but my own. Naturally, I will often decide to do things that other people want me to, but it is definitely not their orders that are the cause. When asked to do things, however, I will usually do them, even if I don't really want to. For instance, my mother told me to make dinner about a week ago, to which I replied, "No." Today, my mother asked me if I would please make dinner, and I happily obliged. It should be noted that I still live with my mom because I'm 18 and in high school. My age probably also has something to do with my rebelliousness.

I am vehemently against the institution of organized religion. It's because of the strong emphasis on blind obedience, which should never ever be allowed a place in society.

Blank

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
The only type of authority I would respect would have to prove itself to me first.