User Tag List

First 56789 Last

MBTI
    ENTP

Can't spell entrepreneur without ENTP.

One thing I'd say about teaching is some ENTPs I know have gotten very frustrated with university bureaucracies and have gone on to use their pHDs as the basis for very successful, independent consultancies.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Socionics
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by YoungGun2112 View Post
    I have been thinking about starting an account, to make a thread about the best type of job for an ENTP, for awhile now. I'm 18, and really do not know what type of job would be good for me. I have had many ideas, and tend to change my mind every week. I'm not too worried about the future, but would like to see some discussion on the subject.

In the past, I have thought seriously about being a:

*Teacher/Professor
    *Businessman (More specifically a self-employed/entrepreneur)
    *Author
    *Doctor/Psychiatrist
    *Lawyer
    *Journalist

I usually fit the criteria in the below categories, in no specific order (And the list is probably not complete, but provides a general idea):

*Something that is able to make lots of money, so that I can live comfortably (Travel, Have lots of toys, etc.)
    *Something where I am going to have a lot of freedom to move, and not be constrained by schedules, bosses, rules, etc.
    *Something where I am able to work with my own themes and ideas, use my mind, and apply that to my work. Something that allows me a lot of creative freedom to work with themes and change things around.
    *Something that would be fun to do, and could see myself doing for my entire life.
    *Something that is not going to be overbearing and too time consuming, so that I can do other things, and work on other facets of my life.
    *Something that changes, and is not incredibly routine.
    *Something where I do not have to work within a system, and deal with all the nonsense that goes with it.
    *Something that allows me to work with people, but not be stuck with people. I like to be around people, and prefer to work with them versus being stuck in a room by myself. But I am easily annoyed by them, and need a decent amount of alone time, as well. I'm pretty independent.

I like each job in many ways, but tend to find faults in each of them and become discouraged, causing me to switch what I want to do and never fully make up my mind. I understand I am 18 and in no big hurry, but my future is something I think about, and does bother me incredibly.

Can anyone provide me with some general insights on how an ENTP should best pick careers? Can I here some things to avoid/look for, or some real life experiences? Any dicussion is good discussion. (I probably will not take much of this threat to heart, sadly, and will still have to figure it out on my own. But it will still provide my one more resource in making a decision. Whenever I make it.)
    I'm the same way. I'm getting a masters in accounting and stick out like a sore thumb in all my accounting classes (though this is usually a source of pride for me). I want pretty much the same thing you want in a job, realizing that i went for something that goes completely against my nature.

Intuition is the greatest asset you have, balance that with a degree that proves your logical/analytical abilities and the windows of opportunities will be limitless!

MBTI
    ENTP

Unhappy ENTP and Teaching

Quote Originally Posted by naymornings View Post
    Do you guys have much experience with teaching as an ENTP?
    4 years into a teaching career (grades 7-12, Technology Ed. & English), and I'm coming to the cold hard realization that happy teachers are creatures of repetition when dealing with students, course prep, course delivery, administrative paperwork, phone calls to parents, ...

I got into this gig thinking:
    • I would make a difference in my students' lives
    • I would have variety in my courses
    • I would have students that actually wanted to learn what I had to teach (e.g. computer programming, animation, digital video, etc.)
    • I would be a happier dad/husband with a steady job (public school = union)

What I didn't realize was:
    • Yes, I impacted 10%-30% of my students, but only while the software / camera was new and "coooooool". With today's students, that wears off in about an hour.
    • Yes, I have variety in my courses, as they are constantly being changed (and sometimes, even with my input!). Of course, as one senior teacher told me, it's much easier after you've taught the same course for 3-4 years, and then you can just pull the next teaching unit from the filing cabinet. If this sounds like a good idea to you, then you haven't thought through that the average ENTP won't last the first 3 years teaching the same thing.
    • The majority of my students took my course because they thought it would be an easy credit (and were avoiding geography, history, foods, phys. ed., etc.). The next group took it because they liked me because I wasn't strict and didn't like to send students to the office for discipline. (Works great for ENTP kids, which are 5% of your population. In other words, the vast majority of students thought my discipline is a joke.) And, in other words, 2-4 students in each class actually wanted to learn what I was teaching. The most common comment I heard was, "Is this good enough to get a 50% on this assignment?" Don't ask me what personality thrives in this environment, but it sure isn't ENTP.
    • If I was a happy employee / dad / husband, then I wouldn't have been trawling the net looking to find careers that make an ENTP happy. So, full props to Google for directing me to this forum.

One other weird thing about teaching: here in Canada, it's hard to get into the public school system and get a good contract. And once you do get in, the expectation is that you'll stay in your little region and teach the same thing for ~30 years.

So, if you're looking to be a happy teacher, be comfortable with routine and be confident that you can make a difference with students who won't appreciate what you have to teach them. Otherwise, find a magical school where the teenagers actually want to learn!

Oh, the good part of teaching is that my colleagues are awesome and really different from me (although I often avoid the staffroom, as would be obvious to most high school teachers). And if you coach or run a club, then you have a chance to work with teens who actually want to be there. I've coached basketball and 'facilitated' the robotics club, and they were both fantastic. However, you don't need to be a teacher to volunteer with these, so that's what I'm considering for the future.

Sorry to be...
    Grumpy
    Last edited by Grumpy; 01-01-2009 at 05:22 PM. Reason: Spelling change: trolling to trawling

MBTI
    infp
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    fuck

Quote Originally Posted by YoungGun2112 View Post
    How should an ENTP choose a career?
    Don't. You don't have too.

ENTP is the "Renaissance Man" type. You can have several careers - at times simultaneously - in a lifetime. And you'll do well at all of them. Damn you.
    There's reason to be afraid, and reason to open your heart. ~ Seal

Refreshment for your ears: www.kexp.org

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILE None

a roll of dices?
    Expression of the post modern paradox : "For the love of god, religions are so full of shit"

Theory is always superseded by Fact...
    ... In theory.

“I’d hate to die twice. It’s so boring.”
    Richard Feynman's last recorded words

"Great is the human who has not lost his childlike heart."
    Mencius (Meng-Tse), 4th century BCE

MBTI
    ENTP

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Fiver View Post
    The most important thing I would tell an ENTPer is don't ingnore your need to be creative and innovative. Don't underestimate your desire to be autonomous or experience frequent radical change. You don't need to limit yourself to obvious career choices.
    Quote Originally Posted by substitute View Post
    Your need for adventure, challenge and new scenes is an integral part of your personality and is valid, valid, valid. Don't ever let anyone persuade you otherwise, or you'll end up committed to a lifestyle that kills who you are slowly from the inside.
    Thanks to everyone at this thread, especially Fiver and substitute. I had my wife read it, and she said your posts on page 4 helped her realize that her husband isn't crazy. You people are saving my marriage! Thanks so much!

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILE None

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
    Thanks to everyone at this thread, especially Fiver and substitute. I had my wife read it, and she said your posts on page 4 helped her realize that her husband isn't crazy. You people are saving my marriage! Thanks so much!
    4 pages, saving your mariage ?
    that's entp work for you mister ^^

I'll check it out later, right now i'm planning to smoke.
    Expression of the post modern paradox : "For the love of god, religions are so full of shit"

... In theory.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILE None

Quote Originally Posted by Kora View Post
    Lol that was precisely why I thought I could be an Ne primary user.
    And the only ENTP that I know is bisexual, curiously.
    Are you talking about yourself ?
    Be my bisexual frriieend!!

... In theory.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by EcK View Post
    4 pages, saving your mariage ?
    that's entp work for you mister ^^
    Yeah, sad but true. My ISFJ wife is tired of moving every ~3 years and didn't understand my constant desire for change. Now, she says, "If you really think that way, then ... ."

Happily ever after's don't happen, but at least we can start conversations remembering how different we are.

MBTI
    ENTP

I'm in engineering - I enjoy it enough, but my biggest problem is that I'm much (much much much) better at coming up with solutions than I am at implementing them... Once the problem is solved, my drive goes right down the shitter. A typical design project might take 6 months to a year, with only maybe a month of actual creative/innovative "designing". The rest of the time is spent cranking out the details (narsty things!!) to convince yourself & others that the design will in fact, work. INTJ actually strikes me as best suited to this type of work, tbh.

I'm thinking lately I'd like to somehow get into project management type work- I come up with the idea, someone else makes it happen.
    Extremes: Need To Pursue

I like my cars fast, my music loud, and my women even faster and louder!