User Tag List

First 34567 Last

I want to be a capitalist. If not possible, i probably switch 10000 jobs in my life, just to figure out what the world is like.

I never like capitalism. but i hated the idea of working for someone for the rest of my life even more, espeically if that someone is a person i don't respect. So being a capitalist allows me to control my own fate.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Argus2968 View Post
    i'm in one of those situations where there just seems to be too much to do, but too scared to commit to one of them because of a possible regret of not taking another rout.

philosophy, psychology, sociology, anthropology, theology, biology, photography, music...
    the logy's are endless.
    i was exactly in your position, until I did some fairly serious introspection about my interets. Now I am getting ready to start my education in media studies, where I will most likely end up teaching humanity courses at a college level in some lilly community college. I think it's best if you look at these subjects that you are interested in, and say- 'what am I really interetested in WITHIN these topics?'

Once I realized what brought me to these topics all had something in common, I was capable of sort of accepting an artistic approach. For me, i am heavily influences by art/media- it's always been my thing, my main approach, but I am still really interested in anthropology, sociology, philosophy, psychology, philosophy, linguistics, etc...but i can study all of these things through the lens of media. I see media as a reflection of what is going on with the people. And ultimately, something is always happening, thus the material is always new- and fresh.

what i am trying to say here is that if it is possible, try to disect your interest and figure out what you are ultimately searching for.
    i am watching a movie while trying to write this, and i keep getting distracted, if this makes no sense.. i apologize..

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Fiver View Post
    Personally, I love marketing because it allows me to use my process skills and my creativity. My next job, I would love to be a marketing consultant and flit from gig to gig.
    Great to hear from a more senior ENTP, Fiver. Thank you very much. You have vindicated and validated many of the feelings I have had vis--vis work.

I am also in marketing and have a ton of freedom, which is absolutely necessary or I start causing trouble. In fact, freedom is more important to me than anything else. I can't stand having a boss and I do not like arbitrary rules and will break them or subvert them at every turn.

At 31, I'm at this point where I need to transition either more into a management role or finally get serious about growing my side business. It's an interesting time to be sure. We should set up a business networking section of the forum, by the way.
    "Create like a god, command like a king, work like a slave."

Reigning Bologna Princess Rajah's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram

I've seen "law" tossed around a couple of times as a career option, so I thought I'd pop in and talk about it. I was a practicing attorney for almost 7 years. It was occasionally intellectually stimulating, and it occasionally did not suck.

For the most part, though, it was a horrible fit. I like ever-changing projects. In litigation, anyway, you tend to get stuck on the same case for years on end. It gets monotonous and draining. Plus, dividing your life into six-minute increments (yes, that's how you have to bill out your time!) gets really irritating.

Having to deal with other attorneys left me, at times, wanting to pull my own hair out. Some are great; some are the most obnoxious, self-involved, having-feelings-of-entitlement people you'll ever encounter. There's a lot of backstabbing, and the senior associates tend to abuse the junior associates. There's a high-school mentality that tends to permeate the associate levels. It's frustrating.

Some parts of practice were good. Overall, I couldn't stand it. I'm now back in school working on a Ph.D. in media law, so I can become a professor.

I... suppose. Yeah!

Reigning Bologna Princess Rajah's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by naymornings View Post
    i was exactly in your position, until I did some fairly serious introspection about my interets. Now I am getting ready to start my education in media studies, where I will most likely end up teaching humanity courses at a college level in some lilly community college. I think it's best if you look at these subjects that you are interested in, and say- 'what am I really interetested in WITHIN these topics?'

Once I realized what brought me to these topics all had something in common, I was capable of sort of accepting an artistic approach. For me, i am heavily influences by art/media- it's always been my thing, my main approach, but I am still really interested in anthropology, sociology, philosophy, psychology, philosophy, linguistics, etc...but i can study all of these things through the lens of media. I see media as a reflection of what is going on with the people. And ultimately, something is always happening, thus the material is always new- and fresh.

what i am trying to say here is that if it is possible, try to disect your interest and figure out what you are ultimately searching for.
    i am watching a movie while trying to write this, and i keep getting distracted, if this makes no sense.. i apologize..
    Interestingly, that's how I latched onto communication. I have a bachelor's and master's in linguistics, and I went to law school to focus on First Amedment issues. I now tie that all together, studying privacy and First Amendment issues online.

I... suppose. Yeah!

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Rajah View Post
    I've seen "law" tossed around a couple of times as a career option, so I thought I'd pop in and talk about it. I was a practicing attorney for almost 7 years. It was occasionally intellectually stimulating, and it occasionally did not suck.

For the most part, though, it was a horrible fit. I like ever-changing projects. In litigation, anyway, you tend to get stuck on the same case for years on end. It gets monotonous and draining. Plus, dividing your life into six-minute increments (yes, that's how you have to bill out your time!) gets really irritating.

Having to deal with other attorneys left me, at times, wanting to pull my own hair out. Some are great; some are the most obnoxious, self-involved, having-feelings-of-entitlement people you'll ever encounter. There's a lot of backstabbing, and the senior associates tend to abuse the junior associates. There's a high-school mentality that tends to permeate the associate levels. It's frustrating.
    Glad to know as I was considering law. I figured it would be as you describe. Do you expect to encounter problems with being a professor?

MBTI
    ENTP

ENTP's dominant function is to use their external intuition to understand the world around them, and support this information with internal thinking to logically make decisions with this information.

I find consulting to be ideal for this. You absolutely immerse yourself into a topic, then find out the ideal solution, and use your enthusiasm to spread your findings to others. Like in the movie thank you for smoking where the entertainment god describes his epic plan, where brad blows smoke rings all over over angelina's flawless naked body.

Personally, I plan to become a professor, which is quite similar in that respect. I fucking love marketing consulting too.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by astroidea View Post
    I find consulting to be ideal for this. You absolutely immerse yourself into a topic, then find out the ideal solution, and use your enthusiasm to spread your findings to others. Like in the movie thank you for smoking where the entertainment god describes his epic plan, where brad blows smoke rings all over over angelina's flawless naked body.
    Hearing from all of you ENTP's is like meeting family. Consulting is so much fun, like a romantic fling. I love showing up at a client's business, learning everything I can for a brief time and then chopping down problems before I dance off into the sunset to the next gig.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    567?
    Socionics
    ILE

I've considered consulting before....

All I know is I need variety and bosses with too much power will make my gag reflex kick in, thereby making it impossible for me to get any work done cos I'll be having to run off to hurl every 2 minutes.
    ALL AROUND THE WORLD PEOPLE EATIN' GUMBO