User Tag List

First 891011 Last

MBTI
    ENXP

I say know your goals, and then build a career around those goals. Otherwise you're inevitably going to sacrifice non-deliberately one thing or another from a given template.

Like, here is my Grand Plan.

I wanted something that was inter-disciplinary, and helped people, and made cool stuff. Like most of you here I also wanted to constantly learn.

I fucking cried when I saw this: http://www.miqel.com/fuller_design_s...ce_basics.html

There aren't a lot of people who have that job description now, because like being a Renaissance Man, it's more of a lifestyle than anything. But now I knew it was possible, in some shape or form, Buckminster Fuller being the epitome.

So the way I'm doing it is that I'll be a CADS, but not constantly. I'd try to maneuver myself in most industries so that I can design products they want/need to fix an ecological or poverty problem, and that I can get teams together to do this based on my contacts. Very interdisciplinary, you'd travel to survey the resources in an area etc. It's hefty, but I've seen the promised land.

But then you need fallbacks. I got inspired by Tim Ferris' Four-Hour Workweek to try and set up a passive income, somehow. I'm guessing video games. Enough said.

And make sure that your hobbies contribute to your income, even if its only mildly. Obviously they should be open enough and money shouldn't be that big of a deal at that point (either due to your financial security or your willingness to forgo some pleasures), as otherwise you'd eventually lose enjoyment.

So basically my financial life will take three tiers: the first tier being a commission job, which could occasionally get relegated during my education (ultimately my education would fuel this dream, so this is OK); the second tier being a passive income job, which demands minimal micromanaging while still pulling in moolah (this is fallback if the first goes under; and finally a hobby-job, which is the ultimate

And if this is too much, outsource to India (thank you Tim Ferris).

I guess what I'm trying to say is don't be afraid to work, not when the best pleasures in life are free (books at a library, which can be requested for; the love of a girlfriend who knows your going somewhere etc) and anything else is basically a bonus. People can and will bear a lot for their dreams and we should be no exception. It's also OK to have a gazillion dreams because you can basically go anywhere, not regret it, and if you do switch to another one. Having that passive source of income and a hobby you're always interested in fuels whatever the first tier job is.

So good luck.

K. Almighty

PS All of this is moot because I'm 18 and failing high school

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 so/sp
    Socionics
    ILE

ENTP? Career? Choose???

My 'career' list is probably at about 7 now... and if I became any more extraverted, I'd probably need to instantly expand it to about 50

So first I am wondering, is choosing necessary?

And if not, how can one make multiple careers work?

And if so, how in the world does an NTP choose? Does it need to come down to the throw of a dart or slips from a hat?

Corporate Raider

Like Carl Icahn
    Make shitloads killing inefficient companies.
    The fear of poverty turns people into slaves of money.

"In this Caesar there are many Mariuses"~Sulla

Conquer your inner demons first before you conquer the world.

Quote Originally Posted by LunaLuminosity View Post
    And if so, how in the world does an NTP choose? Does it need to come down to the throw of a dart or slips from a hat?
    I don't choose because I always have one preference at the time. I have a very broad interest but I always know what I want to do right now. All the other possibilities are mere posibilities of the future. I just do what I feel most comfortable, happiest and intelectually challenged with.

I haven't had the faintest focus on career yet. I'm studying at the moment and I think I will keep doing that for a long time. After I've finished this one I might study philosophy or biomedical sciences or something like that.

MBTI
    esfp
    Enneagram
    8w9
    Socionics
    ILE

After years of switching my most radical ideas of the future profession, I've decided that i'm going to study... in a liberal arts college, so I can delay my choice for another couple of years

P.S. That's what I'm thinking now, we'll see what tomorrow will bring
    Oh yeah?

MBTI
    ENTP

I'm compelled to repeat:

Flip a coin!

MBTI
    INTJ

The link has changed slightly...
    https://www.iusb.edu/career-services/rsrc-mbti.php

A window to the soul

Kiss these...

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    3w2

Plinko. The game from The Price is Right.

A window to the soul

Quote Originally Posted by Gamine View Post
    Plinko. The game from The Price is Right.