123 Last

MBTI
    HUMR
    Enneagram
    6 sx
    Socionics
    iNfp Ni

Default Help a Sad INTP =/

I need some INTP insight. I need to know if the following problems are typical for the INTP, if you think it might be a phaze, and if you can offer up any suggestions I might give to an INTP who is very close to me, and having a really hard time with life.

Is it normal for an 18 yr old INTP to be extremely pre-occupid with finding a girlfriend? This person is undoubtedly INTP. He might be very close to the t/f dichotomy, he's also been raised in a crazy feeler environment. But I find it a bit bizarre that he is sooo pre-occupied with it. He feels that he will never get a girlfriend. I've tried to keep him optimistic, but he isn't. Today he confided a few things to me that I worry about. But I don't know how to help him because I just don't understand.

He told me that he doesn't feel. He doesnt understand why or how to make it better, and I can't help him because if anything, I feel too much. He told me that he fears that he won't have anything to give to a partner because of it. Says he can't connect on that level. Says he struggles to connect with most people on any level. He says that he can't find the words to to articulate his thoughts and never seems to come across people that bring up the things he is passionate about. I tried to get him to elaborate on what goes on in his head, but we got interrupted. He has quite a few friends that come over daily.. but its more of a superficial thing. I know him well and I know he is lonely. I love him dearly as he is my brother.. and I'd do anything to help him. Is this normal? Have you ever thought these things? What has helped you connect with people? Are there things that INTPs can do to not have such verbal/mental/emotional blocks?

Any advice is appreciated.
    Man suffers only because he takes seriously what the gods made for fun - Watts

Have you told him that there are crazy NF people who are quite fond of unfeeling robots?

He who laughs
    Enneagram
    5w4

Most of the time for me it was not being happy with myself and feeling stuck that brought out the longing in me. I dont see it as an INTP only dilemma. So many people get in to these cycles. My suggestion would be that you should talk to him about this some more. If he wants to talk about it, its because he recognizes there is a problem. Usually just him bringing it up suggests he knows he needs others help, otherwise he would have handled it on his own.

Why Im not giving specific advice is because INTPs are as individual as everyone else. And if you are open enough any type will be able to help any other type through a dilemma. Okay one piece of advice, he needs to recognize that keep being passive makes the longing stronger and that the longing might be counterproductive because it hinders his own understanding of who he is/selfindentity. He needs to find self-motivation beyond the longing.

And if he has no emotions or feelings, he would be better off at a psychiatric hospital. He needs to understand how his feelings and emotions define themselves in him and how much they actually interact with his "thinking". He might be surprised, if he's not too wacko.

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

It might be a result of his crazy feeler environment.

INTP's at his age struggle to fit in. We feel different, we think differently than other people, and we don't naturally fit in with big groups. We have to make a conscious move to act in ways to fit in.

If he lives in a predominantly feeler environment, it's thinkable that he struggles with trying to be like those around him, while not understanding why people around him are the way they are, and more importantly, why he is not like them.

His urge to find a girlfriend might be because he probably concluded that is what he needs in order to fit in his environment.

I personally think it's a good thing, though. It's just how we INTP's function. We are either obsessed, or unmotivated. We don't really operate on a normal level. If he really wants a girlfriend, I have no doubt he'll be able to find one. If he doesn't want a girlfriend, chances are he never will. That he is concerned about not being able to be the right person for someone is something that goes away when love comes anyway. I know that from experience. I too often feel I am not a suited partner as per my single self. But if I really like a girl, I sure turn into one. Just comes with the love.

And him saying he doesn't feel, is just saying he doesn't feel the same way others seem to do around him. INTP's feel, but we don't show this externally much. We cover it up and rationalize it with thoughts. We feel but don't deal directly with our feelings, we deal with it as logically as possible.

I, as an INTP that concluded he did not need a girlfriend at that age, and thus lacking any motivation to get one, am entering a phase in my life where I'm starting to get really weird.

I am starting to smile at babies.

Like seriously, what the fuck.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

MBTI
    INTP

He's an 18 year old dude. He's horny. Simple as
    Ti>Ne>Si>Te>Fi>Ni>Se=Fe

And yes, there are such things as INTPs who overuse emoticons

MBTI
    HUMR
    Enneagram
    6 sx
    Socionics
    iNfp Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    Have you told him that there are crazy NF people who are quite fond of unfeeling robots?
    Ya, I've explained this. I've told him that even if he doesn't have a good grasp on his feelings he has so many other qualities, and that is when he brought up a lack of connection entirely. I wonder if growing up in an environment of feelers has caused him to measure himself against how we operate, and think something is wrong with him. I certainly hope not.

MBTI
    HUMR
    Enneagram
    6 sx
    Socionics
    iNfp Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffywolf View Post
    It might be a result of his crazy feeler environment.

INTP's at his age struggle to fit in. We feel different, we think differently than other people, and we don't naturally fit in with big groups. We have to make a conscious move to act in ways to fit in.

If he lives in a predominantly feeler environment, it's thinkable that he struggles with trying to be like those around him, while not understanding why people around him are the way they are, and more importantly, why he is not like them.

His urge to find a girlfriend might be because he probably concluded that is what he needs in order to fit in his environment.

I personally think it's a good thing, though. It's just how we INTP's function. We are either obsessed, or unmotivated. We don't really operate on a normal level. If he really wants a girlfriend, I have no doubt he'll be able to find one. If he doesn't want a girlfriend, chances are he never will. That he is concerned about not being able to be the right person for someone is something that goes away when love comes anyway. I know that from experience. I too often feel I am not a suited partner as per my single self. But if I really like a girl, I sure turn into one. Just comes with the love.

And him saying he doesn't feel, is just saying he doesn't feel the same way others seem to do around him. INTP's feel, but we don't show this externally much. We cover it up and rationalize it with thoughts. We feel but don't deal directly with our feelings, we deal with it as logically as possible.

I, as an INTP that concluded he did not need a girlfriend at that age, and thus lacking any motivation to get one, am entering a phase in my life where I'm starting to get really weird.

I am starting to smile at babies.

Like seriously, what the fuck.
    Thank you for this.

MBTI
    HUMR
    Enneagram
    6 sx
    Socionics
    iNfp Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Oeufa View Post
    He's an 18 year old dude. He's horny. Simple as
    While a year ago I believed this to be the case, as with any teenager... I realize it's not. I've asked him about it and he is very clear that its not such a physical need.. says that he is doesn't think sex is that important and is quite baffled at how obsessive his friends are about it. He sincerely seeks companionship.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Huxley3112 View Post
    Ya, I've explained this. I've told him that even if he doesn't have a good grasp on his feelings he has so many other qualities, and that is when he brought up a lack of connection entirely. I wonder if growing up in an environment of feelers has caused him to measure himself against how we operate, and think something is wrong with him. I certainly hope not.
    how could he not tho? i imagine i would if i were the only feeler in my family...my family was full of feelers...so i've grown up thinking that is the norm

my bf's dad is an intp and he's very warm and feish... he's fantastic with kids and an awesome husband from what i can see....so i'm thinkin intps in love will be just fine...
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

I don't think being obsessed about getting a girlfriend helps, most women don't want a needy men.
    I've been there. Takes some time to find this lost self esteem.