• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTP] Ask an INTP!

The_World_As_Will

Because apparently we don't have a thread on this, so WTF!

Inspire by this and this thread, as well as all the other Ask an XXXX thread

So... Do your part in supporting the war and ask us INTPs a question! Go on!, ask any sort of question that comes to mind, and we, as INTPs, or just me if I'm alone here, will try to answer them.... Other INTPs feel free to join in because it would suck to do this alone and far too lazy to answer all of them.

uncle-sam-wants-you-to-share.png

INTPness

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
There are definitely 1 or 2 older threads floating around somewhere in the archives but, you know, out with the old and in with the new. It's 2011, why not?

So, first question: if you didn't have Ti, what would you do all day? :D

The_World_As_Will

There are definitely 1 or 2 older threads floating around somewhere in the archives but, you know, out with the old and in with the new. It's 2011, why not?

So, if you didn't have Ti, what would you do all day?

:eek: ooh didn't think to the archives and :p that's too old, so new thread ftw! ah now to the question, if I didn't have Ti, hmm well I'd either be an ENTP and just use Ne all day long and piss people off with the random attention-whore-ness, OR steal the next closest function to Ti, which would be Fi, and just be a really mellow INFP. :D what about you?

Jaq

Remember, Humanity.
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Hey is the lazor on stun or kill?

Jaq

Remember, Humanity.
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Ahh you guys don't seem that bad then :devil:

Cloud or seperroith?

The_World_As_Will

Ahh you guys don't seem that bad then :devil:

Cloud or seperroith?

Cloud, Seperioth is way too TJ for me, reminds me of Light from Death Note ... too much planning and I'm meh at the god complex thing, though maybe some more J oriented (or power hungry) INTP might like him more.

Jaq

Remember, Humanity.
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Do you know why people think ENTPs are attentions whores? Most aren't when they are calm.

INTPness

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Do you know why people think ENTPs are attentions whores? Most aren't when they are calm.

Not all of them are. I think the impression with ENxP's sometimes is just simply that they want/need a lot of attention being paid to them. If they aren't being listened to or if they aren't getting attention, they will sometimes do things to make sure they get it. Act up, be loud, tell long stories, etc. Don't get me wrong, they are often very entertaining and fun people. I just know from the introvert point-of-view, we sometimes don't get it. We don't want attention at all - we don't want the spotlight, we don't want people focusing in on us, so some of us can't even fathom "trying really hard" to make people focus on us. We find it hard to relate to. It's all relative though - to an extrovert, it probably wouldn't seem like attention whoring. To an introvert, it sometimes does though.

In regards to the ones that are really extreme attention whores, I've sometimes thought, "What would happen if nobody spoke to this person for like a month? Would they end up in a nuthouse or something?" It seems like they crave it/seek it out that much - like they just have to be the center of someone's attention all the time or their head would explode. That's extreme cases though - or maybe it's just an extrovert "having a moment".

It's sometimes funny (and a bit cruel) if you just ignore one of them who is trying to get attention (not just ENxP's, but any attention whore). Just look the other way, don't make eye contact, don't respond. Just act interested in something else behind them or take a phone call. They almost go nuts. I noticed this not because I wanted to make them uncomfortable, but because sometimes if I'm socially exhausted, I'll sort of "check out mentally" for a few minutes and go silent (a way of recharging the batteries somewhat) and it's like they get uncomfortable if its silent or if you're not into what they're saying or not laughing at the jokes.

Ignoring an extrovert in need of attention = Purposely putting the spotlight on an introvert who does not want any attention.

lunalum

Super Senior Member
MBTI Type
ZNTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
In regards to the ones that are really extreme attention whores, I've sometimes thought, "What would happen if nobody spoke to this person for like a month? Would they end up in a nuthouse or something?" It seems like they crave it/seek it out that much - like they just have to be the center of someone's attention all the time or their head would explode.

I'm only a tiny bit of an attention whore and probably slightly E, and while I don't need of even desire to be in the center of attention all the time, in the face of zero communication I would probably go insane in much less than a month. So I'm a bit confused.

We don't want attention at all - we don't want the spotlight, we don't want people focusing in on us, so some of us can't even fathom "trying really hard" to make people focus on us. We find it hard to relate to.

I wonder how true this is for all INTPs, so this will be my question. Anyone here alright with getting attention? Are there any INTPs who do things that put them in the public spotlight?

(Weird that I'm the one asking the questions now, but now that I've admitted to liking attention it'll be hard to turn back ;) )

INTPness

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
It's all relative - sliding scale. I <----------------> E. So, yeah, there are times where an "I" will come out of the shell and want some attention. And there will be times when E's don't want attention. But, relative to each other, the "E" wants it much more and the "I" wants it much less, all other things equal.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm doing some personal type research/data gathering. For all you INTPs, how do you usually approach joining a new social group? Lets say that you're joining a club for a subject that interests you. What kind of mindset to you have going into a first time meetup? How do you typically behave? How do you feel people respond to you?

The_World_As_Will

I'm doing some personal type research/data gathering. For all you INTPs, how do you usually approach joining a new social group? Lets say that you're joining a club for a subject that interests you. What kind of mindset to you have going into a first time meetup? How do you typically behave? How do you feel people respond to you?

I usually go in with an Open mind, a little nervous at first but curious as to the people that I will meet. If it's a topic of interest, I will contribute to the group discussion most times, and when I don't feel comfortable I sit back and observe. But usually I am energetic and try to actively engage members in the group, but that's just me and i'm not that introverted, definitely an introvert but not that introverted, I think your responses may differ depending on the INTP.