• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] Mock trials and debate teams

Cenomite

Systematic chaos
MBTI Type
ENTP
Anyone been involved in them? How was it?

I'm interested, but I'm not sure exactly what they entail or how fun it would really be.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I was on my high school debate team. It was fun, to a point, but a bit too detail-oriented and almost scripted. I always took the negative side, which allowed for a bit more variety and free-form response. Do you have any specific questions or concerns?

Lucas

MBTI Type
INTP
I am currently on my high school's debate team. It is amazing. I have probably learned more from debate research than I have from classes.
A lot of what debate entails is specific to what type of debate you do. Is there anything in particular you are looking at?

Jaq

Remember, Humanity.
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Personally I think they are garbage, becuase lets just "debate" about things we know about for fun! I do it every day with my peers, through I think it's not a debate to them. As I usually end up with them leaving mad as he**

T

ThatGirl

I took debate for a little bit. Only got into one. I remember the topic was "Which should one value more, the quality, or sanctity of life?" I was debating quality.

I researched both arguments and when the day came started with the idea that quality did not only pertain to materialistic terms, and even if one values sanctity, it is the quality or depth of that sanctity which will matter most.

My opponent, the big guy with the rep of being unable to beat, countered that the question was invalid, declared himself the winner, and sat down. To which I replied, "You can't do that? You did not win, you had no counter argument, and that counts as a you conceded!"

Everyone congratulated the man on yet another win, and since the teacher never stepped in to say anything, I quit the class. Too politicy.

Seriously I was livid.

ultimawepun

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w2
Pretty fun. It's quite interesting to take the side of an argument that you don't agree with.

Santosha

MBTI Type
HUMR
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
Loved debate! I was captain of our debate team in HS. (Looong ago.) There are many different forms of debate.. you've got lincoln douglas that requires tremendous amounts of research, you've got oratory (describes itself) you've got impromptu, where you just are given some random word or term or idea and have 3 minutes to give a convincing speech for or against it.. there is ALL kinds of debate. As an NE dom, I bet you'd do really well at it. Looks good on college apps too.