123 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6
    Socionics
    INTp

Default Emotional Explosions

How do other NTs deal with extreme emotional stress/being hurt/upset?

I find that for the most part, I'm pretty emotionally neutral. However, when I'm extremely upset or sad I don't know what to effing do. I cannot function. It takes over my mind, it clutters my thoughts, and it ruins my day completely. I lose my appetite, which is one way I know I'm upset. Half the time I'm upset I only know because people tell me I'm being a downer, it's like I unintentionally ruin everyone else's day because I'm distraught. I'm trying to learn how to control it, I need to find a middle ground.

ThatGirl

I get mean just enough to create a smoke and mirrors effect that allows me to retreat into my own little hole. If some one presses me or tries to engage me after the fact I will blow the fuck up on them to get them to go away.

While in solitude, I will process, plan, or grieve until I feel I have dealt completely (it will no longer be an issue), or I know the next move to make.

Often times, I may lose sleep, since I get the brain working in full gear.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Depending on the severity, I usually have to retreat for sometime. Really face the situation head-on, think about what happened, reflect, remember, mourn, etc. Then, after some time, I can start to heal and think about where to go from here. Productively and in a healthy way. Sometimes these things move me into a new phase where I will start exercising harder or get more motivated to do what I want to do in life, etc. The pain, the experience, the grief pushes me forward and gives me new motivation once I've dealt with it properly.
    NTJ's are the only types that have ever made me feel emo.
    ENP's are the only types that have ever made me feel like a sensor.

There are two great days in a person's life - the day we are born and the day we discover why. --William Barclay

As Long As It Takes.... Redbone's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

I shut down...hard. It's nearly impossible to think or function normally. I just want to be alone to process what is going on. Unfortunately, this means that I want to 'solve' what is going on and often there is no solution.

Like Hera, I don't know what to effing do. *sigh*

Oh geez. I don't really like to address that they exist. Cover it all up with humour and social activities ("fun"). But there's still kind of an undercurrent of "something is wrong, I'm really upset, I feel vulnerable, WTF is going on?" I can't think as clearly and I become more impatient and less tolerant and less sensitive to the feelings of others.

But usually having emotions means addressing emotions and working through them, which is something for which I don't often have the time or energy. So they tend to get pushed aside and pushed aside and bottled up until they rupture into a depressive episode of some sort.

That's with REALLY strong emotions, though. Like, Really Big Deals. The little stuff doesn't tend to phase me like that.

MBTI
    NiTe
    Enneagram
    5w4

I shut down too. But it's not just that, I also try to search for solutions to the emotional problem...which doesn't make much sense. To make the emotional breakdown go away, I do something that had nothing to do with the causes of it.
    “To explain all nature is too difficult a task for any one man or even for any one age. 'Tis much better to do a little with certainty, & leave the rest for others that come after you, than to explain all things by conjecture without making sure of any thing.”—Statement from unpublished notes for the Preface to the Opticks (1704) by Newton.

What do you think about me? And for the darker side, here.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Thisica View Post
    I shut down too. But it's not just that, I also try to search for solutions to the emotional problem...which doesn't make much sense. To make the emotional breakdown go away, I do something that had nothing to do with the causes of it.
    It makes perfect sense, and I do it all the time. When I am bothered by an emotion, I look right away for the root cause: am I uncertain about something coming up? have I just had a significant disappointment or failure? am I facing some obvious difficulty? Once I identify this cause, I can start to address it directly. Even if it is something that will take a long time and much work to fix, just understanding this and starting the process usually dispels the negative feelings.

It is rare (almost unheard-of) for me to have true emotional outbursts. I will sometimes let more of my emotions out in order to make a point, but that is a calculated move, and one I do not often make. I am very good at handling sudden emotional situations, whether they be the outbursts of others, or something that triggers an immediate and intense emotional reaction in myself. Usually others will not even realize I am affected. It is the low-grade, chronic, gnawing irritations and insecurities that eventually get me over time, and must be addressed head-on as described above.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6
    Socionics
    INTp

Anddddddd I'm really not doing well with this.

ReflecTcelfeR

I have shown two or three people my emotional wreck 'mode', but I usually start figuring out right a way what happened and once found find a way to fix it if I can, the outburst strengthens if I don't have the ability or the right to fix it, that's when I shut down.