• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] NTs who like science or math (but aren't professional scientists or mathematicians)?

Octarine

The Eighth Colour
MBTI Type
Aeon
Enneagram
10w
Instinctual Variant
so
Ironically, in the "NTs who like neither math nor science", a substantial proportion did say they liked some areas of science.

The question is what specific fields are you interested in and how much time do you spend thinking, or learning about science, math or technology? How do you spend this time? Do you read scientific journals, or popular science magazines or books? Excessive perusal of Wikipedia?
Do you practise your own experiments, or at least devise potential experiments of your own that you would carry out were you a professional scientist?

INTPness

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I'm good at science and math - I take to it very easily. And I like some element of numbers in my work, but I would never want to be a scientist. I'm a 5w4 - the w4 gives me more of a taste for the arts. I'm still a logic whore and all that stuff that everyone loves so much about NT's :D, but I'd rather write or listen to a great song or watch a great movie (non-scientific) or do something entrepreneurial than to delve into Physics or Chemistry. Science and math are there and I'm able to use them/think about them occasionally, but they aren't my main focus by a long shot.

funkadelik

good hair
MBTI Type
lmao
I would say a good majority of my spare time is spent thinking about science and technology. Really any of the books I read anymore are about those two things. I've tried to get into fiction stories, but it just doesn't hold my interest. I'll read a few chapters, get bored with it then forget about it under a pile of clothes or something. I like reading technical books as well as theory books and have a number that I've got going right now. The technical books are basically textbooks. At least, I know they're issued at the beginning of courses on these sorts of things. The theory books are mostly about physics. But I've got one on mathematics, too.

Umm...on television I mainly like the more technical shows. My current favourite is How It's Made that airs on Discovery here in Canada. But Mythbusters is great, too. Don't watch much TV (doesn't really hold my interest) but I think those shows and a few others are great.

And on and on. Most of what gets me excited is stuff involving finding out how things work and building stuff. I'm currently working on this project. Fun fun!

Anyway, yeah. I'd love to be a professional at this stuff. But currently am not. *sigh* Girl can dream, right?

onemoretime

Dreaming the life
MBTI Type
3h50
I like anything that doesn't require so much arithmetic that it's simply not worth the time or effort.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The question is what specific fields are you interested in and how much time do you spend thinking, or learning about science, math or technology? How do you spend this time? Do you read scientific journals, or popular science magazines or books? Excessive perusal of Wikipedia? Do you practise your own experiments, or at least devise potential experiments of your own that you would carry out were you a professional scientist?

I like less-Te-oriented aspects of science (where detail and drawing clear conclusions and following careful process is specifically important) and more the Ti-oriented aspects of science, more in the realm of pure logic or drawing general/board conclusions and ending up with a conceptual system of some sort. Gray also does not bother me; I *enjoy* open-ended exploration, and drawing conclusions that can still accurately encompass vague data (saying what can but only what can be said about the data in question).

So what I like to read usually involves less numbers and more concepts... less calculations and more just determining what equations should exist in the first place. The boundaries and tautologies describing what actually is.

I'll read books, magazines, Wikipedia, online articles. I'll watch Discover and TLC channels, interviews/clips on YouTube, actual documentaries and shows. I like psychology and human behavior/development the best as a topic, but I'm into archeology, sociology, criminology, psychology, culture, religions, psychology, astronomy, taxonomy, dinosaurs, architecture, biology, physics, art history... I shouldn't limit it, because pretty much any topic can capture my attention if I run across it in the right context, and I'll drop what I'm doing to read/watch what I've found.

I don't really do "experiments" at this point in my life, I typically just read about other people's experiments/data or work with concepts and direct observation.

As far as my educated fields of study, I spent two years in college as a math major, became a technical writer, and now work as a systems analyst. I like analysis more than development/coding because I'm focused again on rules, processes, flows, big-picture understanding and definition of the boundaries/constraints on a coherent system. I always did well in math calculation, but it's kind of boring to me, and I hate fields like accounting.

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
The question is what specific fields are you interested in and how much time do you spend thinking, or learning about science, math or technology?

My biggest interest is psychology and social science. Among the harder sciences and mathematics, I find that eurobiology, biochemistry, quantum physics, microbiology, number theory, and astronomy tend to hold the most interest for me.

How do you spend this time? Do you read scientific journals, or popular science magazines or books? Excessive perusal of Wikipedia?

I find scientific journals rather intimidating not to mention really dry. They tend to infuse a lot of jargon into the writing and assume you already know the jargon and don't bother to explain it to a layperson.

I mostly read popular science magazines, books, Wikipedia, and interesting articles I happen to stumble upon over the Internet.

Do you practise your own experiments, or at least devise potential experiments of your own that you would carry out were you a professional scientist?[/QUOTE]

I don't practice experiments. I'm a klutz in the lab. Occasionally I think of potential experiments to run.

dmm2442

MBTI Type
INTP
I'm interested in all areas of science,but spend most my time reading, learning, and playing around with metals.

theadoor

*hmmms*
MBTI Type
esfp
Enneagram
8w9
So what I like to read usually involves less numbers and more concepts... less calculations and more just determining what equations should exist in the first place. The boundaries and tautologies describing what actually is.

I'll read books, magazines, Wikipedia, online articles. I'll watch Discover and TLC channels, interviews/clips on YouTube, actual documentaries and shows. I like psychology and human behavior/development the best as a topic, but I'm into archeology, sociology, criminology, psychology, culture, religions, psychology, astronomy, taxonomy, dinosaurs, architecture, biology, physics, art history... I shouldn't limit it, because pretty much any topic can capture my attention if I run across it in the right context, and I'll drop what I'm doing to read/watch what I've found.

SuchIrony said:
I don't practice experiments. I'm a klutz in the lab. Occasionally I think of potential experiments to run.

this.

Redbone

Orisha
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
The question is what specific fields are you interested in and how much time do you spend thinking, or learning about science, math or technology?

I'm interested in physics and math. My biggest interest is in medicine. It's not limited to those things because just about anything interesting can grab my attention for years at a time.

How do you spend this time?
Do you read scientific journals, or popular science magazines or books? Excessive perusal of Wikipedia?

Reading any information I can get my hands on. Books and websites for physics. I try to stay away from Wikipedia because I've been known to be on there all day (and far into the night...). I read a lot of stuff on Medscape and do the case studies on there. I also spend a great deal of time looking a the clinical trials website to get an idea of where things are going.

Do you practise your own experiments, or at least devise potential experiments of your own that you would carry out were you a professional scientist?

Well...sorta with minor medical problems.