User Tag List

First 12

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    6w5

Quote Originally Posted by Tallulah View Post
    I'm more interested in how people tick, why they behave the way they do. But of course, as an INTP, I like to observe from a distance rather than getting my hands dirty and having to interact.
    My bachelor's degree is in mathematics but there are only certain areas that appeal to me - mainly discrete mathematics and statistics. Science was a weak point - too much memorization.

The whole NT math/science stereotype (especially science) is more characteristic of Te users or ENTPs (they need stuff to play with). INTPs can be attracted to humanitarian topics for a number of reasons:
    • As non-directive types, we are incurably lazy. Beyond high school level, math and science require some degree of dedication.
    • We live in our heads and aren't compelled to change our environment (Te) or break things explore our surroundings like ENTP (Ne-Ti)
    • Fe is our Anima - aka the "aspirational" function. We are both puzzled and fascinated by the mystery of socialization.
    Last edited by amazingdatagirl; 04-28-2011 at 11:47 AM.

MBTI
    INTP
    Socionics
    INTp

LOVE science in just about any form! Hate math for the sake of math...unless I need it, then it is fine.
    Just because you can doesn't mean you should.

MBTI
    ENTJ

I found them to be easy subjects, but they bored me to the max in school. Fourteen useless credits of Insanity 101 in my book.

But Finance, ahhhhhh - It's so refreshing and invigorating.

I can get lost for hours on Bloomberg or CNBC, and I literally read every singe page of every economics and finance textbook in college. I even answered the questions at the end of each chapter even though none were assigned.

Yea, consider me a money-freak geek.
    got chaos?

Permabanned

I actually thought I would end up doing something mathy and sciencey growing up. Then I went to college and discovered upper level math and science wasn't like high school math and science...you actually had to have some sort of interest in it...and not want to do it because "it's challenging in a fun sort of way".

So, while I'm capable of finding enjoyment in both math and science, I'm much more people-centric.

But I'm not sure this would be indicative of a general trend among intps. We are on a people-centric type of forum...I'd imagine the intps that like math and science would be more readily found on forums centered around those subjects...

However..interesting tangent. "Are intps the most extroverted of the introverts?" I'm guessing the nt mentality of wanting to improve in every facet of life...and inferior Fe..would make us fairly Fe centric. We know we suck with people...and we don't like sucking...so we devote a lot of our time to not sucking with people. But, instead of, you know, talking to people and getting to know them...we just think about them. Eventually we learn we need more data to analyze...so we start actually talking to people...and then we start working and re-working our people theories...only to figure out people are extremely inconsistent...which both angers and intrigues us....

ha..that might just be me though..

MBTI
    INTP
    Socionics
    INTP

Well I like math, natural sciences, and social sciences! :] it's all super puzzling and awesome! >_> what is this blasphemy about not liking math and natural science...?
    :} New Phyrexia...

MBTI
    INTP

i like math; in fact, i prefer it at times because you only have to worry about ONE answer. when it's all essays, things can get boring having term papers every quarter which warrant several answers. with science, i only liked astronomy, but struggled with chem and bio because i thought the terminology was boring (i still got Bs, but i crammed)

A bigger question: Are there any NTs who do not like Philosophy?

(I'm a Philosophy major, btw, and it seems Philosophy is the subject that encompasses all the 'N's interests, since it's mainly discussion of ideas and possibilities)

Can't say I was crazy about math but I could do it. I don't have the natural talent like the rest of my family. As far as sciences, found them all interesting but none were loves enough to take as majors. I'm still interested in a number of sciences but only for fun.

E - Mark me down as another NT who enjoys philosophy.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6

Quote Originally Posted by Scorquendo View Post
    i like math; in fact, i prefer it at times because you only have to worry about ONE answer. when it's all essays, things can get boring having term papers every quarter which warrant several answers. with science, i only liked astronomy, but struggled with chem and bio because i thought the terminology was boring (i still got Bs, but i crammed)

A bigger question: Are there any NTs who do not like Philosophy?

(I'm a Philosophy major, btw, and it seems Philosophy is the subject that encompasses all the 'N's interests, since it's mainly discussion of ideas and possibilities)
    Philosophy bores me quickly. It all seems pretty useless for the most part.
    Don't make whine out of sour grapes.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    It all seems pretty useless for the most part.
    i wouldn't say it's mainly useless. i mean, you are applying some of the same rational principles seen in math and science to topics that transcend math and science. where would we be without ethics, logic, metaphysics, and epistemology? one could argue that w/o phil, we wouldn't have these subjects.

the only major problem i can undestand with philosophy is the fickleness of it where there never really is an exact answer, or if there is, it's that we can never be sure of it.