• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTJ] Do you know your goals in life?

fragrance

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Mainly towards INTJs: Did you always know what you want to do in life? Or are you flip-flopping?

I've looked at this issue from all angles. And I got a clear answer, from all angles. Yet I'm still not sure if it's the right track.

Auguris

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Oh, I've been flip-flopping since I could imagine a future for myself. I wasted a lot of time and money hesitating over what I want to do with my life, mainly because there are so many tracks that sound like a good idea. Obviously I can't do everything, but I want to, and because of that I ended up in a seemingly aimless limbo. I don't want to make the wrong decision, but not deciding is just as bad.

Lark

No, I have a list of ambitions but they arent that important.

fragrance

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
So how did you get over your confusion? How did you determine which is the best for you?

Fluxkom

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
There are no goals in the massive multiplayer game called life.
There are however a whole lot of achievements you can pursue.
Which you want to tackle however is the decision you need to make.

Live 1 year as a homeless person -> achieved by a lot of people.
Gain 1 million $ -> done as well.
Have sex with 100 people -> well, guess what.

Just play the game and enjoy the fabulous graphics.
In the end there is no continue or resurrect.

Lark

So how did you get over your confusion? How did you determine which is the best for you?

Guiding principles, values, purpose but I kind of see that as distinct from goals, although I'd clarify that I'm in my early thirties, so some of my important goals, study, work, life have been achieved or re-evaluated. For instance a wife, kids, a house, I dont have those things and many of the people I grew up with as friends do but I've realised how great my independence and freedom is.

Blank

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
I've just got one real goal, but I'm not sure if I can attain it:

To be content.

Argentum

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Yes, I know the broad general goals of my life.

It's the specifics that are murky. Many of my longer range plans cannot come into view because it will depend on the situational environment.

For example, I know that I want to finish my PhD program. I also know that I want to be a professor. But, I don't know whether I will have to take a post doc position somewhere first. Also, because I have an interdisciplinary background, I'm unsure what sort of department I will be hired into, let alone where.

fragrance

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
There are however a whole lot of achievements you can pursue.
I've just got one real goal, but I'm not sure if I can attain it: To be content.

The moment I read these, I knew they must have come from an xNTP. You must understand Judgers: They can't start a long-term project without some sort of plan. For me, just taking on a project and see where it leads you is totally inefficient. It will only lead to higher costs. It's always better to first try to assess the situation before you make the first step.

Malcontent

MBTI Type
abcd
Oh, I've been flip-flopping since I could imagine a future for myself. I wasted a lot of time and money hesitating over what I want to do with my life, mainly because there are so many tracks that sound like a good idea. Obviously I can't do everything, but I want to, and because of that I ended up in a seemingly aimless limbo. I don't want to make the wrong decision, but not deciding is just as bad.

I quote +1000. I could have written the same words.
I am curious if you have considered being an INTP or even an ENTP instead of INTJ.
I type myself mainly INTJ, but I don't exclude the xNTP possibility, primarly for this thing.
Usually INTJ seems more on track in their life. I am more an abstract "Jack of all trades" with doubts to choose ONE career because choosing a career means give up to all careers I could have, and it sounds infantile but I would want having lot of careers as I have tons of interests. So I remain stucked in a limbo...
Thanks. Bye.

Blank

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
The moment I read these, I knew they must have come from an xNTP. You must understand Judgers: They can't start a long-term project without some sort of plan. For me, just taking on a project and see where it leads you is totally inefficient. It will only lead to higher costs. It's always better to first try to assess the situation before you make the first step.

Oh, I understand the Judger's position and truly appreciate it for what it is/can do. Unfortunately, I cannot operate within its framework. But nonetheless, if you can find me a specific path to lifelong contentment, I'm completely open-ears.

In many ways, it's like what Mill said: What's the utility in pondering utility? In ninety-nine out of one hundred cases, pondering the utility of utility brings about disutility. We've got the whole of human history to use as a general example of how to act. (Sometimes it's easier and brings about more utility to just go with the flow.)

Don't get me wrong, it's not like I don't have any plans whatsoever; I do. Whether or not the choices I make or the plans I've laid out will get me to where I want to go is a different story. And that's the source my uncertainty.

T

ThatGirl

Aren't you the pain in the ass INTP who kept calling me an ESFJ on INTPc?

Sorry to be off topic, but I remember the avatar. So just wondering.

Blank

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
I don't have an INTPc account, I don't think. So...no.

T

ThatGirl

Ah, my mistake. Sorry about that. I think there is a guy over there, INTP, starts with a B (if I remember correctly), same guy in the avatar.

You may have a clone. *starts eerie music*

Hera

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Ah ah ah ah, stayin' alive, stayin' alive.

Blank

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Ah, my mistake. Sorry about that. I think there is a guy over there, INTP, starts with a B (if I remember correctly), same guy in the avatar.

You may have a clone. *starts eerie music*

That's perfectly alright. My avatar is Vault Boy from Fallout 3 and it's only natural that others would choose it as well.

Froody Blue Gem

Necromancing Scapelamb
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I do have several goals in life I am working towards. I wish to achieve my dream job which is being a video editor, I want to work for a company but even if I do it on a smaller scale I'd be fine. Though I will still attempt to do it on a larger scale in the future. There are some specific steps that are not quite clear, things might change along the way, but what I care about is that I work hard and get there. Some things may change along the way.

I also am working towards my Associates and then Bachelor's degree currently. I am working hard at the classes I am taking, until I get there. Another dream/goal is to own a collection of many pets including dogs, cats, guinea pigs, snakes, geckos, ferrets, and some others. I spend quite a bit of time focussing on the future, envisioning it, and I am slowly taking the steps to get to the endgoal.

The Cat

Just a Cat who hangs out at the Crossroads
Staff member
I've certainly got goals, but I often let my social interactions get in the way of them. Which is a thing Ive been working on, it's not easy. But it's getting less difficult.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
I always make concrete goals and then I adapt them if I must. (what often actually isn't necessary)