• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] reverse class discrimination

chachamaru

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
?
I am a pirate.

I will take your treasures. To make me rich.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Monty Python IS literature!

Finally!

onemoretime

Dreaming the life
MBTI Type
3h50
So when working class people go to university and major in something "non-practical" ....they're usually iNtuitives. I'm just saying.

Going to university is "education." Must one have to go to grad school to be middle class? Then that puts us back at economics with the "professional class."

Actually in some cases people who have gone to grad school work at low paying jobs. I've seen it happen.

Middle class includes entrepreneurs. They don't have to even go to college at all.

It's pretty simple - if you get paid a wage, that is, paid money in exchange for your time, or in consideration for a certain task, and you do not get to set the terms of when that time is, or what that task is, you're working class, no matter if you're blue collar or white collar.

Oh... well, these aren't discriminatory against people with your vision... they represent significant entry costs for any startup, including ones constructed on the traditional for-profit model.

And... environmental standards? How on earth can you complain about crony capitalism in one moment and then bitch about environmental requirements the next? I promise you... if Big Business could make the EPA disappear tomorrow, they would do so. Without hesitation.

The course of this conversation is leading me to believe that you aren't really interested in doing anything to help working-class folks. I'm beginning to suspect that you just like to bitch.

My. How presumptuous of you.

O

Oberon

My. How presumptuous of you.

Well, it's only a suspicion. I'm free to have opinions, right?

My point is, lots of people like to bitch on the internet about how unfair things are for the downtrodden. It's damned rare to find someone who's actually willing to roll up their sleeves and do something about it.

onemoretime

Dreaming the life
MBTI Type
3h50
Well, it's only a suspicion. I'm free to have opinions, right?

My point is, lots of people like to bitch on the internet about how unfair things are for the downtrodden. It's damned rare to find someone who's actually willing to roll up their sleeves and do something about it.

Certainly. However, it's generally in good taste to keep one's opinion to oneself if it involves casting aspersions on another's motivations, particularly if you're making assumptions based on something other than that other person's words.

If you take a look at what I said again, it was nothing more than "the first step in this process is necessarily getting rid of (artificial) barriers to entry." You asked for some of those, I gave them. I made no value judgments on whether those barriers were good policy or not; I simply stated that they were barriers.

In response to your earlier point about the EPA - no Big Business wouldn't, because they have the resources and infrastructure to maintain compliance. That gives them a huge advantage over potential smaller competitors. Most of those businesses have a large part in writing the regulations, after all. The problem is, along with safety regulations, that it's not a political winner to argue against unnecessary regulations for their anticompetitive effect, if the alternative is a perceived laxity on safety or environmental sensitivity.

Edgar

Nerd King Usurper
MBTI Type
INTJ
Instinctual Variant
sx
How much money is she making? Accumulated wealth is also useful information.

Edit: Those were mostly rhetorical questions; depending on age and success, she is almost certainly either upper-middle or upper-class.

Lol, doctors are not upper class. Most of them are high end wage slaves, i.e. middle to upper-middle class.

The true upper class were born into money and don't have to do jack shit unless they want to.

As I have mentioned in a previous thread, associating money with class status is the domain of the lower classes. Even though upper classes generally have enough money not to work a single day in their life, they associate status with various forms of etiqutte or for a lack of a better term, "class". Middle class associate class status with education, specifically what college one went to.

Like I said, read that book I recommended.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
really? I associate class with being a pain in the ass. because the classier someone preceives themselves the more judgemental they come off.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
really? I associate class with being a pain in the ass. because the classier someone preceives themselves the more judgemental they come off.

This would be true if we go by Edgar's description...because who the fuck wants to be around people bragging that they went to Duke, Vanderbilt, or Brown? Not I. Those places are empty place holder institutions which people can actually buy their way into now. Well, Duke still has a good medical school...but you know what I mean. Trying to prove your worth by which college you attended seems pretty stupid and annoying to me, especially in this day and age when education and information are so widely available through so many channels. Not to mention that upper-middle class/rich people sometimes buy their essays and term papers, and didn't even study for their degrees in the first place. (*note that I'm not saying this is what always happens, I'm just illustrating that yes these places can totally be bought, and I have inside information on just how many students buy papers).

I actually consider that to be an upper-middle class behavior, not even a regular middle class behavior.

Then there are people concerned with society and particular mannerisms?

Don't get me wrong, it's no fun being around ignorant white trash either...but frankly I'd rather be around a person of any class that is a real person who isn't overtly concerned with status, while still not being obnoxiously stupid or uneducated.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
The problem with this thread is one is taking an outdated concept like "class" and trying to apply it to a society (the United States) for whom it's intended meaning (usually pre-war England) never fit all too well, and certainly doesn't fit today.

"Class" used to mean more than just an amount of money. Wealth was inherited for the large part, and the culture and attitudes that went with this wealth were fairly well-defined. Now wealth is often merely just wealth, and "class" is just marker for a certain tax bracket.

yeahh. there are different "classes" according to different groups i feel like, too. i have lived in several different places, and the sociocultural structure in many of those places has been quite different. some professions are afforded more status in certain places; others in others. in some places last name is an important factor. in others, it is not. in some places how you came about your money is an important factor. in others, it is not. and perceptions even vary amongst groups of people within the same place.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I know a woman from a middle class background, who worked as a stripper, and now is a doctor. What class is she?

I'm not sure- I'm saying that I haven't come up with any conclusions yet. There could be a lot of people thinking different things because the topic is so broad- basically, in my last post I was saying that I am inclined to agree with both you and Edgar. Though I guess I would definitely ignore the stripper history and class her based on what is current. (I disagree with people being unable to change class.) So, upper middle class?

yeahh. there are different "classes" according to different groups i feel like, too. i have lived in several different places, and the sociocultural structure in many of those places has been quite different. some professions are afforded more status in certain places; others in others. in some places last name is an important factor. in others, it is not. in some places how you came about your money is an important factor. in others, it is not. and perceptions even vary amongst groups of people within the same place.

So true. SOO many variables. In my high school town, I think class was just money.What can you afford? What kind of clothes do you wear? What kind of house do you live in? What kind of car do you drive?
My current town, (actually, this town is kind of a town I've been in on and off my whole life), as far as I can see, money is number one. But people also look at your last name, profession, and amount of education. They are a bit stuffy upper middle class group to me, and are viewed that way by a lot of people from surrounding towns. (I'm not like that, some of us just ended up here because of our families being in town for so many years.) We have a few scattered millionaires.

We seem to favor wealthy retirees and a lot of business people who don't want to live in the city. Docs, lawyers. And some blue collar skilled workers (aka painters and carpenters who have the right last name and take care of everyone in town.)

I noticed that if you can drop a couple of names and reach another person with one or two degrees of separation, that often tends to suffice for being well established, then you're in.

I can see how ideas of class can vary based on where you are.

O

Oberon

In response to your earlier point about the EPA - no Big Business wouldn't, because they have the resources and infrastructure to maintain compliance. That gives them a huge advantage over potential smaller competitors. Most of those businesses have a large part in writing the regulations, after all. The problem is, along with safety regulations, that it's not a political winner to argue against unnecessary regulations for their anticompetitive effect, if the alternative is a perceived laxity on safety or environmental sensitivity.

Do you work in industry?