• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] reverse class discrimination

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
There's a big difference between "education" and "learning." Working class people love to learn. They also hate indoctrination from sources that seem out of touch with their own experiences.

So when working class people go to university and major in something "non-practical" ....they're usually iNtuitives. I'm just saying.

Going to university is "education." Must one have to go to grad school to be middle class? Then that puts us back at economics with the "professional class."

Actually in some cases people who have gone to grad school work at low paying jobs. I've seen it happen.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
In fact, the more I read this, the more I think people are confusing things like level of intelligence, intellectualism, and even personality type with "class."

MacGuffin is right.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Ha! That's exactly what I said, several months ago. Class does not work in the United States because everything is so blurry here.

Yes, "class" was a socio-economic term that's been broken into social and economic definitions:

"You're low class" = social term, indicating one is uncouth, lacking refinement.
"You're in the lower class" = economic term, indicating the level of income.

One can't really define a person's socio-economic status by using "class" in the United States. Probably never could, even someone like Rockefeller was largely self-made.

O

Oberon

Licenses, certifications, registration requirements, environmental standards, insurance requirements, etc...

All of those help impose significant barriers to entry for even a small business. Almost all of those came about as the result of industry lobbying, specifically to keep potential competitors out.

Oh... well, these aren't discriminatory against people with your vision... they represent significant entry costs for any startup, including ones constructed on the traditional for-profit model.

And... environmental standards? How on earth can you complain about crony capitalism in one moment and then bitch about environmental requirements the next? I promise you... if Big Business could make the EPA disappear tomorrow, they would do so. Without hesitation.

The course of this conversation is leading me to believe that you aren't really interested in doing anything to help working-class folks. I'm beginning to suspect that you just like to bitch.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Yes, "class" was a socio-economic term that's been broken into social and economic definitions:

"You're low class" = social term, indicating one is uncouth, lacking refinement.
"You're in the lower class" = economic term, indicating the level of income.

One can't really define a person's socio-economic status by using "class" in the United States. Probably never could, even someone like Rockefeller was largely self-made.

So was Carnegie - he was born very poor, yet when he got money, he behaved nothing like the Fitzgeralds when they got money. And actually, Zelda was from an upper-middle-class Southern family, and Scott was a descendent of Francis Scott Key and went to law school...yet they both acted like total barbarians when they became wealthy. Carnegie, on the other hand, conducted himself with intelligence, ethics, and what many people would call "class."

And this was all around the turn of the 20th century. Class hasn't applied well in the United States for quite some time. That's why the upper class English were often opposed to Americans in general.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
And this was all around the turn of the 20th century. Class hasn't applied well in the United States for quite some time. That's why the upper class English were often opposed to Americans in general.

Now I'm thinking of the minor subplot of Titanic regarding Molly Brown.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I am king of Marmie and Oberon.

Oh, king eh? Very nice. And how'd you get that, eh? By exploiting the workers. By hanging on to outdated imperialist dogma which perpetuates the economic and social differences in our society.

O

Oberon

Oh, king eh? Very nice. And how'd you get that, eh? By exploiting the workers. By hanging on to outdated imperialist dogma which perpetuates the economic and social differences in our society.

See the violence inherent in the system! See the violence inherent in the system!

Beargryllz

MBTI Type
INTP
Your money isn't profiting off of paying people less than the value of their labor to you. When you put money in a savings account, you're actively denying yourself the use of that money in exchange for the interest paid to you. The interest is the consideration for the detriment incurred through the lack of access. Interest is set at a particular level for the most part, so it's nothing more than a standard rent agreement.

Capital investments, on the other hand, only make money because at some point, you pay people less than their labor or commodities are worth to you, or you charge people more than costs (including salary paid to self) to oneself. Tolerance for this depends on information imbalances between parties, and it is through the exploitation of this imbalance that this practice is of dubious morality (don't believe me? Ask Adam Smith).

So a moral man would avoid capital investments?

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
pffft repressed people belong in the closet *herds the repressed by waving a hot poker at them* get! get! get! you filthy swine, back in the closet! get!

Lark

Ever meet someone who has an attitude that seems to flaunt and revere blue collar ideology? The kind of person that seems to relish in being a simpleton? Holds grudges against other people for being too aggressive with their lives and is unable to understand the reasons why someone might hold themselves to a higher standard? Is focused on the belief that the common person is the most righteous person, and anyone who might be a braggart or business minded is somehow jaded towards life?

Damn straight!

They are the righteous few!

Lark

This machine kills capitalists.

O

Oberon

I dont know who that is...

William Duke of Normandy and King Harold II of England. They fought a big-ass battle near Hastings in October of 1066, and Harold lost. William subsequently became known as William the Conqueror.

Perhaps you've heard of him?

Lark

William Duke of Normandy and King Harold II of England. They fought a big-ass battle near Hastings in October of 1066, and Harold lost. William subsequently became known as William the Conqueror.

Perhaps you've heard of him?

Nawh, dont like english history very much.