Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by lowtech redneck View Post
    Wait, are you saying that blue-collar workers can't be middle-class, your family was living beyond its means, or that a three-bedroom house on an acre of land is very very cheap in West Virginia?
    Well, first of all, blue-collar workers are not, by definition, middle class. Dearest Edgar pointed this out to me, that only working class people think money determines class status.

At any rate, an acre of land out in the middle of nowhere in WV is extraordinarily cheap. My grandfather and my uncle also helped build the house we lived in. It was really nice actually. I may live out in the middle of nowhere again someday.

There are houses you can buy in WV, even now, for like 30 or 40 thousand dollars.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Elfboy View Post
    the OP dealt with a group of people whom were both blue collar and philosophically parasitic. thus, people accused the original poster of being predjudiced against blue collar workers, so I posted the video to make the distinction between blue collar and entitlement mentality which is what the OP was really expressing disgust towards.
    Edit: I was really defending hard blue collar workers as much condemning parasitic economic philosophy, though I suppose I didn't communicate this clearly enough
    How do you know that the person the OP described was "philosophically parasitic"? All you folks need a jumping to conclusions mat. The person in question could find the OPs behavior unethical for some undisclosed reason, or even be one of those "salt of the earth" Republicans I was mentioning earlier.

I don't know of many "parasitic" farmers, btw. I think you might need to broaden your knowledge of other professions just a wee bit.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Elfboy View Post
    - feeling entitled to the fruits of another man's labor
    So, like, CEOs who go play golf while their employees actually work are parasitic? I agree!

- condemnation of those who are more successful than one's self
    Success is a relative concept.

- collectivism
    On the contrary, collectivism amongst small groups who feel a sense of responsibility to one another can work quite morally with all people working together...in fact, it's quite superior to some other methods of survival, in my opinion.

I'd also like you to know that all "collectivist" cultures aren't communist, either. Collectivism is a mindset that can exist outside of economic theory.

- belief that man exist for the purpose of serving others and it therefore inadequate if he does not desire this purpose
    Well, I'm not sure why you ascribe this to economic philosophy, because as far as I know a lot of people who believe in helping others believe in interdependence, not "existing for serving others."

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    So, like, CEOs who go play golf while their employees actually work are parasitic? I agree!
    For every CEO playing golf, there are dozens, maybe even hundreds of non-CEO employees playing golf. It is, I believe, an important detail to consider.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by SRT View Post
    This is how I interpreted the OP. It seems like he's searching for us to say that his (ex)friend is jealous, but doesn't want to admit to it, so he is taking it out on the OP by attacking his profession. which is not completely unwarranted. I don't know, maybe we're projecting too much.

My parents (mostly my dad) seem to have a similar view towards anything deemed "academic", i.e. theory is all well and good, but in the real world it doesn't have much value. Also that professors are out of step with normal people.
    That doesn't mean they're jealous. That may mean they believe professors have ivory tower syndrome.

It's so nice when we can all understand each other.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Beargryllz View Post
    For every CEO playing golf, there are dozens, maybe even hundreds of non-CEO employees playing golf. It is, I believe, an important detail to consider.
    Yes, because golf is entirely the point.

MBTI
    INTP

Yes, because golf is entirely the point.
    What is the point? Some back and forth nonsense about parasitism? What the fuck does that even mean? Every single human is living at the expense of countless living beings, but only a dedicated golfer will play golf when he or she could be making more dollars.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Beargryllz View Post
    What is the point? Some back and forth nonsense about parasitism? What the fuck does that even mean? Every single human is living at the expense of countless living beings, but only a dedicated golfer will play golf when he or she could be making more dollars.

in thailand, the best driving ranges, instead of a machine to place
    the balls on the tee, we get little old women sitting on stools, hand
    placing them for you.
    every normal man must be tempted, at times,
    to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag,
    and begin slitting throats.
    h.l. mencken

MBTI
    INTP

Well, first of all, blue-collar workers are not, by definition, middle class. Dearest Edgar pointed this out to me, that only working class people think money determines class status.

At any rate, an acre of land out in the middle of nowhere in WV is extraordinarily cheap. My grandfather and my uncle also helped build the house we lived in. It was really nice actually. I may live out in the middle of nowhere again someday.

There are houses you can buy in WV, even now, for like 30 or 40 thousand dollars.
    And what, besides money, denotes class? If a person can afford a middle-class lifestyle they are middle-class in my book. Do you think someone has to have a white-collar job to be middle-class, even when they earn less than someone in construction? Do you think someone with a blue-collar job automatically works harder than someone working the same hours in a white-collar job?