User Tag List

First 152324252627 Last

MBTI
    GONE

There is class anger and then there is just simply envy and jealousy and sometimes insecurity. You can feel insecure because someone has all the credentials you're "supposed" to have, or a better this, or a better that, or seems to lead a blessed life. It's not isolated to the disenfranchised or the marginalized, it's a human reaction to seeing someone with something and feeling at your gut it's unfair that you don't have it and/or that you want that too and deserve it just as much.

I would wonder how old you are because I noticed in college a lot of college aged people associate themselves with the underdog, no matter what their actual upbringing or background, and like opportunities to point out how someone else is more privileged than them. Then again, I went to a liberal arts college and being oppressed seemed cool so~ A lot of it in my opinion was just immature individual jealousy (i.e. I wish I had a nicer laptop) coupled with a lack of understanding about actual socio-political place and time and sometimes big words and a rule mis-use of terminology. I remember one girl constantly bitching about how everyone around her was better off than her and was "bougie", even though she grew up in a nice big house in the suburbs, she and all her siblings went to college ("name" colleges even) and her father was an engineering executive and her mother was a nurse who voluntarily didn't work.

I also remember a friend of a friend who identified as working class and my friend took exception to that because the friend of a friend's father was a tenured professor and my friend didn't think that qualified as having an underclass socio-economic background.

I think in these situations a lot is in the mindset.

All of that ^^ is different from actual class tension etc. etc. etc.

Hmmm, I wonder if I just went off topic :P
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

"I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

Johari/Nohari

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by shortnsweet View Post
    That makes sense. (I just wanted to see how you reacted to your own Edgar medicine.)
    I would think that almost everyone would consider themselves to be middle class. Just "normal" especially compared to people around you. Unless you are on one extreme or another of the spectrum.
    America... fuck yeah!

Anew Leaf

Hmmm, I wonder if I just went off topic :P
    If this is bad then I am one INFP post from being banned....

I like edgars kitty.

Also I can see about the middle class fears... I don't want to be rich for the sake of buying lots of stupid stuff, but more for a sense of "ok, maybe I don't have to worry about my business or future anymore." and I fear falling downward for the perceived loss of security I might have.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by onemoretime View Post
    America... fuck yeah!
    heheh. So many grey areas.

I grew up on WIC and "green bag" clothes (as my family/ nearby friends used to call them. Clothes from church or in trash bags that people dropped off.) Food stamps and 20 year old cars. The whole kit and caboodle. At one point my mom and I lived in a one bedroom apartment together and she slept on a couch in the room and I slept on a bed. (When I was 14. "I'm like MOOOMMM CAN'T WE MOVVEE??")I thought I was middle class growing up. (Not saying it was bad... I was healthy and well cared for... just sayin'. I'm not sure if anyone else would call that middle class America.) Everything is relative.
    06/13 10:51:03 five sounds: you!!!
    06/13 10:51:08 shortnsweet: no you!!
    06/13 10:51:12 shortnsweet: go do your things and my things too!
    06/13 10:51:23 five sounds: oh hell naw
    06/13 10:51:55 shortnsweet: !!!!
    06/13 10:51:57 shortnsweet: (cries)
    06/13 10:52:19 RiftsWRX: You two are like furbies stuck in a shoe box

My Nohari
    My Johari
    by sns.

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

heheh. So many grey areas.

I grew up on WIC and "green bag" clothes (as my family/ nearby friends used to call them. Clothes from church or in trash bags that people dropped off.) Food stamps and 20 year old cars. The whole kit and caboodle. At one point my mom and I lived in a one bedroom apartment together and she slept on a couch in the room and I slept on a bed. (When I was 14. "I'm like MOOOMMM CAN'T WE MOVVEE??")I thought I was middle class growing up. (Not saying it was bad... I was healthy and well cared for... just sayin'. I'm not sure if anyone else would call that middle class America.) Everything is relative.
    In America, everyone thinks they're middle class. They're almost all wrong.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

That makes sense. (I just wanted to see how you reacted to your own Edgar medicine.)
    I would think that almost everyone would consider themselves to be middle class. Just "normal" especially compared to people around you. Unless you are on one extreme or another of the spectrum.
    Quote Originally Posted by onemoretime View Post
    In America, everyone thinks they're middle class. They're almost all wrong.
    Yes. That's what I'm saying! (Thanks for reminding me of my original point, I almost wasn't sure where I was going. Now I remember.)

My Nohari
    My Johari
    by sns.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    It's just that I looked up the definition of "rube" and saw that it means "country bumpkin."

That's nice. I just don't feel that he's in a position to judge, though he might be. For all I know he's a direct descendant of Peter the Great, or will lie and say he is just to shut me up.
    Awww. That should be your new SN. "Country Bumpkin" or "Rube." Now everyone's got me wondering what my class status is. I guess the fact that I don't think about it too much (outside of this thread) means that I'm (still) in the bottom of the pack somewhere.

My Nohari
    My Johari
    by sns.

Anew Leaf

Awww. That should be your new SN. "Country Bumpkin" or "Rube." Now everyone's got me wondering what my class status is. I guess the fact that I don't think about it too much (outside of this thread) means that I'm (still) in the bottom of the pack somewhere.
    Class E all the way.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

If your family was on food stamps growing up you were definitely born working class. You may be middle class now for all I know.

As for being a rube, I think perhaps Edgar just likes to fantasize that I'm Clarice Starling and he's Hannibal Lector. It's my accent, I know.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

I feel normal and would identify myself as middle class. However, when I read descriptions, almost every one would place me as having been raised in the upper class. I don't think I am at the extreme end, although I know some people would disagree.

I have trouble identifying myself as part of a community so that may impact my views on class. I can't really see myself as part of the upper class or middle class even though my attitude is probably typical among upper class people.
    Ne > Ti > Si >> Te > Se >> Fe > Fi > Ni
    5 so/sp
    Chaotic Neutral/Evil