User Tag List

First 142223242526 Last

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    My point is, lots of people like to bitch on the internet about how unfair things are for the downtrodden. It's damned rare to find someone who's actually willing to roll up their sleeves and do something about it.
    Exactly! Entitlement has no class boundaries.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    Researched? As opposed to read it?

Also, u mad?
    No, it's not that I'm mad Edgar. It's just that I tried to have a discussion with you about this several months ago and you refused to share your own ideas on the topic with me in detail. I wanted your own views of the material you had read, and you just kept insisting people read the book.

So I went to buy a used copy of it, and read up on it, and read reviews, and yes, I am really at a loss why you would take something that was obviously intended to be a satirical, humorous work so seriously...it obviously has some truth in it, but it's apparently not a serious sociological study in the slightest.

I am not disagreeing with you because I am mad at *you*...if that were the case, I'd just bomb your PM inbox.

I am actually irritated at your inability (or refusal) to defend these ideas with your own thoughts. I'm also completely mystified why anyone would hold up a shallow, sarcastic work of humor as a great in-depth study of class in the United States.

Also, I'd probably be class X anyway...I'm a writer, a retreatist, and I drink dark beer, unlike all of the other high level proles. I just didn't happen to go to a major name university, since I never thought that mattered at any point in my life.

And on that note being class X seems to be a product of retreating from the upper-middle class, not retreating from all classes.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    No, it's not that I'm mad Edgar. It's just that I tried to have a discussion with you about this several months ago and you refused to share your own ideas on the topic with me in detail. I wanted your own views of the material you had read, and you just kept insisting people read the book.
    Sorry for not sharing my ideas in detail. I was busy playing Tekken/scratching my ass/sharing racy PMs with other members - pick one.

So I went to buy a used copy of it, and read up on it, and read reviews, and yes, I am really at a loss why you would take something that was obviously intended to be a satirical, humorous work so seriously...it obviously has some truth in it, but it's apparently not a serious sociological study in the slightest.

I am not disagreeing with you because I am mad at *you*...if that were the case, I'd just bomb your PM inbox.

I am actually irritated at your inability (or refusal) to defend these ideas with your own thoughts. I'm also completely mystified why anyone would hold up a shallow, sarcastic work of humor as a great in-depth study of class in the United States.

Also, I'd probably be class X anyway...I'm a writer, a retreatist, and I drink dark beer, unlike all of the other high level proles. I just didn't happen to go to a major name university, since I never thought that mattered at any point in my life.

And on that note being class X seems to be a product of retreating from the upper-middle class, not retreating from all classes.
    Class X is a lie. Fussell used it as a cop out to avoid the inevitable butthurt which a lot of "class sensitive" people would experience after reading his book. By his descriptions, Class X are basically upper class hippies - "they buy tickets to a remote country on whim, and board the plane barefoot". Who the fuck has the time and money for that amongst the three major classes?

And just to get this out of the way - you are most likely a "high prole" by Fussell's criteria, or as Hannibal Lecter would say "A well scrubbed, hustling rube with a little taste".

As for me, I'm a middle-middle class schlub, as my student loans and my boring ass office job would clearly indicate.
    Listen to me, baby, you got to understand, you're old enough to learn the makings of a man.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Sorry for not sharing my ideas in detail. I was busy playing Tekken/scratching my ass/sharing racy PMs with other members - pick one.

Class X is a lie. Fussell used it as a cop out to avoid the inevitable butthurt which a lot of "class sensitive" people would experience after reading his book. By his descriptions, Class X are basically upper class hippies - "they buy tickets to a remote country on whim, and board the plane barefoot". Who the fuck has the time and money for that amongst the three major classes?

And just to get this out of the way - you are most likely a "high prole" by Fussell's descriptions, or as Hannibal Lecter would say "A well scrubbed, hustling rube with a little taste".

As for me, I'm a middle class schlub, as my student loans and my boring ass office job would clearly indicate.
    (lower middle class)
    06/13 10:51:03 five sounds: you!!!
    06/13 10:51:08 shortnsweet: no you!!
    06/13 10:51:12 shortnsweet: go do your things and my things too!
    06/13 10:51:23 five sounds: oh hell naw
    06/13 10:51:55 shortnsweet: !!!!
    06/13 10:51:57 shortnsweet: (cries)
    06/13 10:52:19 RiftsWRX: You two are like furbies stuck in a shoe box

My Nohari
    My Johari
    by sns.

ThatGirl

I won't lie I often discriminate on rich or well off people but it isn't because of the money. Usually it is because most of the influential or powerfull people are idiots and I consider it a horrible injustice. Also a lot of them really are either conceited or assholes. There are some who earn my respect but it is very rare.

Just my opinion haven't really followed the thread.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by shortnsweet View Post
    (lower middle class)
    It could be easily argued that the recently minted attorneys are lower middle class, but in my case, I have a "respectful" federal job, and don't come anywhere near sales/retail/customer support bullshit, which is indicative of the lower middle class, or as I call it "a monkey with a tie".
    Listen to me, baby, you got to understand, you're old enough to learn the makings of a man.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

It could be easily argued that the recently minted attorneys are lower middle class, but in my case, I have a "respectful" federal job, and don't come anywhere near sales/retail/customer support bullshit, which is indicative of the lower middle class, or as I call it "a monkey with a tie".
    oh, so you do care ...

My Nohari
    My Johari
    by sns.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Oh don't make fun of how irrational I am when I'm drunk. That's not nice. Apparently u the one who is mad.

And just to get this out of the way - you are most likely a "high prole" by Fussell's criteria, or as Hannibal Lecter would say "A well scrubbed, hustling rube with a little taste".

As for me, I'm a middle-middle class schlub, as my student loans and my boring ass office job would clearly indicate.
    Well I agree with you about the concept of class X, so I can at least respect your opinion on that.

I love how you've neatly categorized me as a high prole, even though I work from home and have more flexibility in my work schedule than you...though I agree, because I was definitely born as a high prole, I'll completely own that.

You love neatly categorizing. But you were so wrong about me being INFJ. Don't you ever wonder what else you've been wrong about?

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by shortnsweet View Post
    oh, so you do care ...
    Yes, class insecurity is a good indicator of the middle class. They wish they were upper class and at the same time are afraid of falling into lower class.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Yes, class insecurity is a good indicator of the middle class. They wish they were upper class and at the same time are afraid of falling into lower class.
    That makes sense. (I just wanted to see how you reacted to your own Edgar medicine.)
    I would think that almost everyone would consider themselves to be middle class. Just "normal" especially compared to people around you. Unless you are on one extreme or another of the spectrum.

My Nohari
    My Johari
    by sns.