Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by onemoretime View Post

There's a big difference between "education" and "learning." Working class people love to learn. They also hate indoctrination from sources that seem out of touch with their own experiences.
    So when working class people go to university and major in something "non-practical" ....they're usually iNtuitives. I'm just saying.

Going to university is "education." Must one have to go to grad school to be middle class? Then that puts us back at economics with the "professional class."

Actually in some cases people who have gone to grad school work at low paying jobs. I've seen it happen.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

In fact, the more I read this, the more I think people are confusing things like level of intelligence, intellectualism, and even personality type with "class."

MacGuffin is right.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    Ha! That's exactly what I said, several months ago. Class does not work in the United States because everything is so blurry here.
    Yes, "class" was a socio-economic term that's been broken into social and economic definitions:

"You're low class" = social term, indicating one is uncouth, lacking refinement.
    "You're in the lower class" = economic term, indicating the level of income.

One can't really define a person's socio-economic status by using "class" in the United States. Probably never could, even someone like Rockefeller was largely self-made.

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by onemoretime View Post
    Licenses, certifications, registration requirements, environmental standards, insurance requirements, etc...

All of those help impose significant barriers to entry for even a small business. Almost all of those came about as the result of industry lobbying, specifically to keep potential competitors out.
    Oh... well, these aren't discriminatory against people with your vision... they represent significant entry costs for any startup, including ones constructed on the traditional for-profit model.

And... environmental standards? How on earth can you complain about crony capitalism in one moment and then bitch about environmental requirements the next? I promise you... if Big Business could make the EPA disappear tomorrow, they would do so. Without hesitation.

The course of this conversation is leading me to believe that you aren't really interested in doing anything to help working-class folks. I'm beginning to suspect that you just like to bitch.

Oberon

MacGuffin is right.
    The temptation to add this quote to my forum sig is... nearly... overwhelming...

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    Yes, "class" was a socio-economic term that's been broken into social and economic definitions:

"You're low class" = social term, indicating one is uncouth, lacking refinement.
    "You're in the lower class" = economic term, indicating the level of income.

One can't really define a person's socio-economic status by using "class" in the United States. Probably never could, even someone like Rockefeller was largely self-made.
    So was Carnegie - he was born very poor, yet when he got money, he behaved nothing like the Fitzgeralds when they got money. And actually, Zelda was from an upper-middle-class Southern family, and Scott was a descendent of Francis Scott Key and went to law school...yet they both acted like total barbarians when they became wealthy. Carnegie, on the other hand, conducted himself with intelligence, ethics, and what many people would call "class."

And this was all around the turn of the 20th century. Class hasn't applied well in the United States for quite some time. That's why the upper class English were often opposed to Americans in general.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

And this was all around the turn of the 20th century. Class hasn't applied well in the United States for quite some time. That's why the upper class English were often opposed to Americans in general.
    Now I'm thinking of the minor subplot of Titanic regarding Molly Brown.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

I am king of Marmie and Oberon.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Oh, king eh? Very nice. And how'd you get that, eh? By exploiting the workers. By hanging on to outdated imperialist dogma which perpetuates the economic and social differences in our society.

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    I'll be Duke William to your Harold Godwinson, Lark.