User Tag List

First 3111213141523 Last

Results 121 to 130 of 275

  1. #121
    Nerd King Usurper Edgar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    4,209

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lowtech redneck View Post
    And what, besides money, denotes class? If a person can afford a middle-class lifestyle they are middle-class in my book. Do you think someone has to have a white-collar job to be middle-class, even when they earn less than someone in construction? Do you think someone with a blue-collar job automatically works harder than someone working the same hours in a white-collar job?
    Roughly put, class is determined by one's value system (and the resulting behavior). The amount of money a person has at any given point does not have effect on a person's class - otherwise, there would be no such thing as "gaudy rich", it would be just "rich".

    For example, Hulk Hogan and Britney Spears are low class white trash, even though they have millions of dollars. And your friendly neighborhood community college professor is middle class, even though he lives in a shoe box sized apartment and saves money by making cookies out of spoiled milk.

    For a more detailed study of class in America, read this book: http://www.amazon.com/Class-Through-.../dp/0671792253
    Listen to me, baby, you got to understand, you're old enough to learn the makings of a man.

  2. #122
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,301

    Default

    You didn't just say anything profound and this is not the argument you were making before.

    Either that, or you fail to explain yourself well. I believe its the latter.

  3. #123
    i love skylights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne
    Posts
    7,835

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    For example, Hulk Hogan and Britney Spears are low class white trash, even though they have millions of dollars. And your friendly neighborhood community college professor is middle class, even though he lives in a shoe box sized apartment and saves money by making cookies out of spoiled milk.


    funny and true

    interesting book, i'm going to get a hold of that

  4. #124
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,301

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by skylights View Post


    funny and true

    interesting book, i'm going to get a hold of that
    I don't need a book to tell me that some people act "nigger rich" or "nouveau riche" ...and certainly anyone who equates money with class isn't "low class white trash" like Britney Spears and Hulk Hogan.

    That's what I found misleading in his previous argument. People who are educated do not behave that way, even if they came from a working class background.

  5. #125
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,301

    Default

    In fact, they don't even have to be educated. Anyone with dignity, intelligence, and self-respect wouldn't act that way even if they come from a dreadfully poor family.

  6. #126
    i love skylights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne
    Posts
    7,835

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    I don't need a book to tell me that some people act "nigger rich" or "nouveau riche" ...and certainly anyone who equates money with class isn't "low class white trash" like Britney Spears and Hulk Hogan.

    That's what I found misleading in his previous argument. People who are educated do not behave that way, even if they came from a working class background.
    lol. i don't think i even read his post you're referring to.

    i do think that culture can have some really bizarre effects on people, you know? like upper class people might have learned how to hide their crazy shit better, but does it mean they have less of it? i am not sure

  7. #127
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,301

    Default

    Oh, he said he could tell I was working class because I equated money with class, in the roughest sense.

    It simply cannot be true, though, because there are people who work at grocery stores who have more self-respect and decorum than Britney Spears. Are we going to claim they're middle class now? Especially if they read Crime and Punishment on their lunch break?

  8. #128
    pathwise dependent FDG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj
    Posts
    5,908

    Default

    I know what the OP means, but I see it more as an attitude centered towards a strong dislike towards learning anything new, rather than living a simple rural life. There's plenty of informed, intelligent writers that live in mountain towns in my region (I suppose isolation might be part of why they managed to become such successful writers), yet it talking with them doesn't feel any different. On the other hand, I know a good number of crass, vulgar (yes, more vulgar than me, lol) redneck-y people that live in the countryside and will think you're crazy if you happen to use a word which they deem as "sophisticated" - that's mostly a byproduct of strong close-mindedness, and while I do agree that these views might be more likely to cluster in specific countryside communities, I believe the reason to be simple - anyone who has different preferences will quickly leave when he-she reaches adulthood.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

  9. #129
    Certified Sausage Smoker Elfboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None
    Posts
    9,635

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    I know what the OP means, but I see it more as an attitude centered towards a strong dislike towards learning anything new, rather than living a simple rural life. There's plenty of informed, intelligent writers that live in mountain towns in my region (I suppose isolation might be part of why they managed to become such successful writers), yet it talking with them doesn't feel any different. On the other hand, I know a good number of crass, vulgar (yes, more vulgar than me, lol) redneck-y people that live in the countryside and will think you're crazy if you happen to use a word which they deem as "sophisticated" - that's mostly a byproduct of strong close-mindedness, and while I do agree that these views might be more likely to cluster in specific countryside communities, I believe the reason to be simple - anyone who has different preferences will quickly leave when he-she reaches adulthood.
    try living in kansas. ugh, people here make me want to :banned: myself.
    ENFP: We put the Fi in Fire
    ENFP
    5w4>1w9>2w1 Sx/Sp
    SEE-Fi
    Papa Bear
    Motivation: Dark Worker
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Chibi Seme
    MTG Color: black/red
    Male Archtype: King/Lover
    Sunburst!
    "You are a gay version of Gambit" Speed Gavroche
    "I wish that I could be affected by any hate, but I can't, cuz I just get affected by the bank" Chamillionaire

  10. #130
    Senior Member lowtech redneck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    3,705

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    Roughly put, class is determined by one's value system (and the resulting behavior). The amount of money a person has at any given point does not have effect on a person's class - otherwise, there would be no such thing as "gaudy rich", it would be just "rich".

    For example, Hulk Hogan and Britney Spears are low class white trash, even though they have millions of dollars. And your friendly neighborhood community college professor is middle class, even though he lives in a shoe box sized apartment and saves money by making cookies out of spoiled milk.

    For a more detailed study of class in America, read this book: http://www.amazon.com/Class-Through-.../dp/0671792253
    And what constitutes a lower-class value system, a middle-class value system, and an upper-class value system?

Similar Threads

  1. Were You a Class Clown?
    By htb in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: 08-13-2012, 03:40 PM
  2. Reverse Introductory Thread
    By ThatsWhatHeSaid in forum Welcomes and Introductions
    Replies: 93
    Last Post: 12-05-2007, 07:47 PM
  3. Help A Science Student Writing A History Paper for her Condensed Summer Class!
    By Usehername in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-14-2007, 02:55 PM
  4. Help--How to Keep from Sleeping in Class!
    By rivercrow in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 05-21-2007, 01:51 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO