User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: INTP gift-giving

Ghost Monkey Soul Array Vizconde's Avatar

I enjoy studying a person and what they say and getting a gift that indicates (to myself) that I have paid attention to detail. If they like it that is nice but it is also secondary to whether I made an appropriate choice or not.

Have also been told I write delightful birthday cards; but most of the time (with cards) I just cant be bothered and thus forgo.
    I redact everything I have written or will write on this forum prior to, subsequent with and or after the fact of its writing. For entertainment purposes only and not to be taken seriously nor literally.

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    Spamtar - a strange combination of boorish drunkeness and erudite discussions, or what I call "an Irish academic"

Senior Member Array ThinkingAboutIt's Avatar

If I give someone a gift, it is because I like them. I don't do it often. I tend to pay close attention to someone - their likes, dislikes, so I tend to get something they will like.
    Just because you can doesn't mean you should.

F CK all I need is U Array ilikeitlikethat's Avatar
    7w8 sx/so

Oneday I was bored, so I did this.

This guy gave away a car. and had candy comming in from Canada and was getting really excited about that, and I was like 'to myself'
    "He's cool, he's selfless"
    "I could get this guy candy and do a shout out to in the UK whilst doing it."
    So I did, acouple of months later.

I was like, what the Hell, why not, guy deserves it.

Haha.. cool!

My INTP best friend and INTP boyfriend are the best gift givers. There's something online that says INTPs have the most childlike pure love, and it's so true. Last birthday my best friend who lives far away had lunch from my favorite restaurant delivered to me house... total surprise... and then when I went downstairs to get it, she was actually there!!!

And my boyfriend got me a book by my favorite author that he just urgently pressed into my hands... (that I had mentioned ONCE at that point) and a thing of roses that I still have.. and later, much, much later, he told me his MOM told him to wrap the roses in ribbons meaning he told her about it...and thus that he must have WORRIED about it... and cared how it looked even though he didn't really have to and I didn't really care either. Just the fact that he told me that story, about calling his mom, when we were like 3 months into dating.

It was amazing. The best. INTPs win at giving gifts. There's something about their supposedly "unemotional" nature and the fact that they seemingly don't expect or even want a certain reaction and the fact that they just pay attention to every nuance that is amazing.

1w2 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Fan.of.Devin View Post
    Here is my hypothesis;
    INTPs, being inferior Fe users, can sometimes derive great personal satisfaction from making those they care about happy/comfortable/content, etc...
    So naturally, gift giving could be one manifestation of this.

I might also wager there's a decent chance he likes you, in that way.
    Bingo! That's how I feel when I give gifts. I either want to make the person feel happy, or I see the person as more than a friend--and wish the feeling is mutual--or, if the latter applies, so does the former.
    Great men are like eagles, and build their nest on some lofty solitude.

right on the left wing Array Philosorapteuse's Avatar

Agreed. I don't give random presents to people unless I really care about them, and I dislike the "buying your affection" overtones of being showered with expensive or elaborate gifts when the relationship just doesn't justify it. It also worries me when people read volumes into a simply-meant gesture, again when the relationship doesn't justify it. But I love thinking of something perfect that would make someone I really care about smile. It's better for being out of the blue, and there's no thought of strings attached or any intent to manipulate. It's just... well, as someone else has said, there's a sense in which INTP affection is quite simple. I find it hard to voice feelings, so saying it in another way is easier. Spontaneous presents mean that I care, and that seeing you happy makes me happy and gives me warmfuzzies.
    "A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices." --William James

I'd be a card-carrying sensotard, but I can't find the goddamn card.

This is going to sound really sad, but I promise it's not. I have an INTP for a husband. He is the most amazing person in the entire world. Truly. In the area of gift giving though, HAHAHAHAHA. There is no greater romance than ours. We have weathered everything, talking late into the night almost all night long, but when birthday, Christmas Valentine's rolls around? He knows it's coming, and still can't wrap that cute head around it. Smartest, most insightful, loving, thoughtful, sexy man in the world -best intentions ever, and he can't remember or do anything.
    However, I think the real gift he gives me, not to sound corny -I'm serious, is his intangible insight. He knows all my preferences in everything and never denies me a thing. But when he does buy or get a gift, it is on this level of insight, it's on his terms. It's rare.
    I'd say it's a good pointer that he is thinking of you. If he weren't, he wouldn't have given you something insightful. They are very like...singular on their focus a lot of the time as well. If something draws them out of their lab, then it's not going to be nothing.
    Good luck!
    A man is not idle because he is absorbed in thought. There is visible labour and there is invisible labour.
    -Victor Hugo