User Tag List

12 Last

Thread: Apology

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

Default Apology

I apologize for having wrapped up my ego in my arguments in the past. This involves trying to stretch the logic of my argument out to where I can stay technically correct, instead of just admitting that I had taken a wrong turn, and starting over with better info. I realize now that it's annoying, and that most of the time, you're not correcting me to one-up me.

What sucks about this is that there is a "boy who cries wolf" effect that comes out of this, which undermines my credibility on later topics where I do have accurate knowledge, and do need to stand my ground. Furthermore, keeping at a completely asinine argument simply because I was afraid I'd look bad was the most shortsighted thing imaginable. I looked much worse through the use of logical gymnastics, after all!

I promise that from here on out, if you've got some good info that I'm not aware of, I'll be happy to learn it, and appreciative of your knowledge. It's nothing personal, after all

I wrote this because during a discussion with another (assumed younger) ENTP on another board, I couldn't believe how many basic logical flaws were in his argument; what's more, I couldn't help but recognize how familiar those tactics were to me. Embarrassing...

It's always better to leave a discussion knowing what's true, than it is thinking that you won on bad information and rhetorical skill.

Thank you for your attention.

Quote Originally Posted by onemoretime View Post
    It's always better to leave a discussion knowing what's true, than it is thinking that you won on bad information and rhetorical skill.
    Excellent comment.

Anew Leaf

question: If I made a planet that suspended the laws of thermodynamics... would you visit it? Or would you need to bring me up to code first?

MBTI
    INTP

The thing about losing an argument is that, even if you lose, you still win, because now you know much more than you did a moment ago. It is gratitude, not apology, that is required here.

Oh dude, way to be a killjoy!

Just kidding.

I agree. Ego likes to play as a third party in debates and arguments so badly. What an ass.

Or maybe that's just me.

Quote Originally Posted by Beargryllz View Post
    The thing about losing an argument is that, even if you lose, you still win, because now you know much more than you did a moment ago. It is gratitude, not apology, that is required here.
    This is also a good comment. So much can be learned from failure. What is it: you make gold purer by putting it in fire over and over again? Sums up the human learning experience.

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

I sometimes catch myself posting an idea or a concept that I haven't quite thought through myself yet. Just a spindle of thought straight from Ne onto paper. And more often than not, that gets misinterpretted at first (well, how could it not, they're often fairly vague in nature, and my choice of words don't always aim specifically for clarity either.), and whilest I am constantly spinning my thoughts around the subject whilest discussion it with others, my own viewpoint on the subject gets strengthened, and sometimes even shifts towards certain angles that overshadow the post in which I had brought the issue up. I like this way of pingponging in a debate, but to some this might be very annoying.

I think this is just one of the things us Ne users have to deal with sometimes. Our Ne ideas are like raw diamonds, that need to be cut first.

Isn't that what you mean though? Or have you actually known you should've shifted your arguements, but stubbornly refused for the sake of your previous arguement? In this case, bad bad boy!

Still, I think the foundation of the problem is our Ne flapping out our ideas pre-maturely. :>
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

Thats big of you to realize and come out and declare
    the formless thing which gives things form!
    Found Forum Haiku Project

Positive Spin | your feedback welcomed | Darker Criticism

ThatGirl

I'm sure you learned SOMETHING from those discussions, if not absolute truth....

Be careful, other people don't know what the fuck they are talking about either.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Beargryllz View Post
    I admire people who can sincerely carry this attitude into debate or discussions. I find it quite difficult to do. My ego is often very tied up with my ideas. I normally avoid debate in the first place rather than repeatedly get into arguments and act like a blowhard, but the motivation is the same.

Quote Originally Posted by ThatGirl View Post
    I'm sure you learned SOMETHING from those discussions, if not absolute truth....

Be careful, other people don't know what the fuck they are talking about either.
    True enough.

MBTI
    eNFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    eNFJ Ni

Chalk it up as a learning experience. Class move to apologize though.

At any rate, you are an easy fellow to forgive.
    eNFJ 4w3 sx/so 468 tritype
    Neutral Good
    EII-Fi subtype, Ethical/Empath, Delta/Beta
    RLUEI, Choleric/Melancholic
    Inquistive/Limbic
    AIS Holland code
    Researcher: VDI-P
    Dramatic>Sensitive>Serious