User Tag List

First 12

Thread: Apology

Quote Originally Posted by onemoretime View Post
    I apologize for having wrapped up my ego in my arguments in the past. This involves trying to stretch the logic of my argument out to where I can stay technically correct, instead of just admitting that I had taken a wrong turn, and starting over with better info. I realize now that it's annoying, and that most of the time, you're not correcting me to one-up me.

What sucks about this is that there is a "boy who cries wolf" effect that comes out of this, which undermines my credibility on later topics where I do have accurate knowledge, and do need to stand my ground. Furthermore, keeping at a completely asinine argument simply because I was afraid I'd look bad was the most shortsighted thing imaginable. I looked much worse through the use of logical gymnastics, after all!

I promise that from here on out, if you've got some good info that I'm not aware of, I'll be happy to learn it, and appreciative of your knowledge. It's nothing personal, after all

I wrote this because during a discussion with another (assumed younger) ENTP on another board, I couldn't believe how many basic logical flaws were in his argument; what's more, I couldn't help but recognize how familiar those tactics were to me. Embarrassing...

It's always better to leave a discussion knowing what's true, than it is thinking that you won on bad information and rhetorical skill.

Thank you for your attention.
    Warning: you have exceeded the amount of allowable awesome for one post.

"The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke

A window to the soul

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I wrote this because during a discussion with another (assumed younger) ENTP on another board, I couldn't believe how many basic logical flaws were in his argument; what's more, I couldn't help but recognize how familiar those tactics were to me. Embarrassing...
    Ah yes, I know that experience well -- of seeing my past behavior reflected in someone I'm currently dealing with, and realizing to a full degree what others had to do to put up with me during my own time(s) of folly.

Teachable moment. They happen. No worries. Change is progress.

Quote Originally Posted by Beargryllz View Post
    The thing about losing an argument is that, even if you lose, you still win, because now you know much more than you did a moment ago. It is gratitude, not apology, that is required here.
    Agreed... although at times one can be smarting way too much to feel an emotion as pure as gratitude. ("Yes. Thank you. Hit me again. Yow, that hurt. Yes!")

If I find myself getting too emotional about a position, I try to force myself to step back, figure out why, and switch back to a more open position.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    Aeon
    Enneagram
    10w so
    Socionics
    LOL

It's always better to leave a discussion knowing what's true, than it is thinking that you won on bad information and rhetorical skill.
    What is this winning you speak of? Do you get a prize?

MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

*smiles*

We all go through this, its part of growing up and gaining wisdom, I guess

You've always been an openminded guy in my experience and willing to listen when genuinly interested in the topic (despite still perhaps sticking to your guns..but that's fine with me )...even if you are an ENTP
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★

"Harm none, do as ye will”

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post

If I find myself getting too emotional about a position, I try to force myself to step back, figure out why, and switch back to a more open position.
    Only switch if it is the right thing to do. Sometimes you're supposed to feel strongly about a position, but you have to know why you're feeling this. Sometimes the initial position is totally justified and worth keeping.