• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] quirky question

coolio_free

MBTI Type
XNTP
Enneagram
5 sp
if evil can come from the best of intentions and good can come from the worst of intentions---how then do we measure the actions of others if good and evil are subjective to the viewpoints of the people viewing

thinking food:D
you could almost call it a negotiators question;)

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
i like to think about the intentions and outcome as two different things. it depends on the situation, so some example would be nice

INTPness

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
If someone is killed maliciously, some *good* things can potentially come out of that. Family members of the victim can potentially draw closer to one another, maybe one of them decides to volunteer to prevent these things in the future, decides to educate people, decides to start a non-profit, all sorts of good things can come out of it. But, wasn't the orginal act itself still evil? Even if that person goes to prison and ends up turning their own life around for the better (a good result for them personally), the act they committed many years ago was still an evil act.

coolio_free

MBTI Type
XNTP
Enneagram
5 sp
it just a fun question

i thought it would fun to post this question to point out heros or villans are only such through the eyes of the individual, like hitler, villan to the us and allies but likley viewed as a hero by his own people

funkadelik

good hair
MBTI Type
lmao
Yeah, like how both sides of a war are always fought by someone else's daughter, son, father, niece. One side's heroes are the other's enemies. You worry about your son off at war and someone on the opposite side is worried about her daughter in the same war. The leverage point is that we're all just humans.

Kind of reminds me of something cultural I learned while living in China. Over there a lie is a lie if the person saying it intended it to deceive.

I would say in the West a lie is a lie if a person says something that deviates from the truth.

Whose version of the lie is the real lie? Semantics! Culture! Interesting!

Oeufa

MBTI Type
INTP
It's all to do with perspective. In reality there no such thing as Good and Evil. We only attach these labels to things we deem to be positive or cruel. Almost every situation has good and bad points, but depending on how you look at it you'll see different things.

Beargryllz

MBTI Type
INTP
Of course good things can come from bad intentions. One time, people thought that you could split atoms to send your enemies away, but then we found out that we could also power toasters and electric cars with them. I happen to love pop tarts, so I'll forgive all the terrible intentions in the world. If it's good for someone, anyway.

T

ThatGirl

I couldn't care less about intention, I look at results. You're either stupid or smart.

PH.

MBTI Type
INTP
Everything is subjected to point of view. The question is not; is it good or bad? What view you are having while asking that question should be included. And in the end it all depends on what value you give to good/bad. I don't really like to think in those terms. Things just are the way they are, and in some way they are positive, and in some way they are not.

bscheff90

MBTI Type
INtJ
I tend to judge others actions by their intentions, not the outcomes.

I don't like this example, but one of my friends uses words and phrases like "darn it" ect. When he's mad (for various reasons). I do realize it's more polite, but the intentions behind his words are usually filled with as much anger as mine when I swear. So our intentions are the same, even if their outcomes and effects seem different.

coolio_free

MBTI Type
XNTP
Enneagram
5 sp
wow it's like a paradox

either you say results are good so what does the means matter
or you say any results gained through contemptible means are as bad as the means that brought them to light
or you favor the results but look down on unfair means

i tend to focus on results as well.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i thought it would fun to post this question to point out heros or villans are only such through the eyes of the individual, like hitler, villan to the us and allies but likley viewed as a hero by his own people

Well, yes -- very few people do evil things purposefully. They usually think they are doing something good.

Different contexts, priorities, and motivations help explain some of the conflicts between groups of people.

i tend to focus on results as well.

Pragmatist. :)
I tend to judge others actions by their intentions, not the outcomes.

I think I'm kinder to those w/ good intent and bad outcome than vice versa, but sometimes the result of good intentions is SO bad that it can't be ignored or downplayed.

Another problem: How can you be sure of someone's intentions?

Everything is subjected to point of view. The question is not; is it good or bad? What view you are having while asking that question should be included. And in the end it all depends on what value you give to good/bad. I don't really like to think in those terms. Things just are the way they are, and in some way they are positive, and in some way they are not.

The older i get, the less I think in good/bad (universal morality) terms.